VOGONS

Reply 20 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently in France on vacation, so will run the Quake 3 demo benchmark and post the results here when I get back.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 21 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwdmeyer wrote:
FYI […]
Show full quote

FYI

I upgraded my K6 machine:

K6-2/350MHz
Quake 3 Demo - 3DFX Mode - 640x480 (with default graphics settings). 22.5FPS.

K6-3/400MHz
Quake 3 Demo - 3DFX Mode - 640x480 (with default graphics settings). 35FPS.

Much quicker than I thought it would be.

My result (same settings as yours) - 19.4 FPS. This seems to be expected as my AMD is running at 66mhz bus.

Reply 22 of 29, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry to bring up an old thread. How much ram were you using in your machine? Can you try with just 64mb? I suspect your motherboard cannot cache anything over 64mb, slowing things down.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 24 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

... Don't worry about multiplier limitations on your motherboard. You can have just about any multiplier you want by bridging certain CPU pins on the bottom of your motherboard ...

AVGNWhat.gif when-they-say-the-title-of-the-movie-in-the-movie.gif

Would anybody be so kind as to elaborate on this subject?

Could this be done to a PC Chips M577 mobo with VIA MVP3 chipset? Manual says jumpering for 100 FSB max.

Let the air flow!

Reply 25 of 29, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The multiplier selection is decided by the CPU, not by the motherboard, so you can do this mod on any motherboard you want. It just requires the right tools (inexpensive) and a little patience. I forget exactly how I went about this, but I believe I consulted with a datasheet for an AMD K6 CPU. Other's have done this mod as well, and it is documented online.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 26 of 29, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mwdmeyer wrote:

Sorry to bring up an old thread. How much ram were you using in your machine? Can you try with just 64mb? I suspect your motherboard cannot cache anything over 64mb, slowing things down.

Sure, can give it a try, but why do you suspect it can only cache 64mb? Using 80mb at the moment. If you compare the benchmark in Q3 of a 350mhz K6-2 running at 100mhz bus and mine 400mhz k6-2 running at 66mhz, that should explain why I am 3 frames pr. second below.

Where did you got those upgrades?
I've been looking everywhere to no avail!

Amazon has one, but they don't ship to my country

I found it on Ebay 6months ago.

Reply 27 of 29, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

The multiplier selection is decided by the CPU, not by the motherboard, so you can do this mod on any motherboard you want. It just requires the right tools (inexpensive) and a little patience. I forget exactly how I went about this, but I believe I consulted with a datasheet for an AMD K6 CPU. Other's have done this mod as well, and it is documented online.

Got any link? I can't find any online documentation, other than the AMD K6-2 Desktop Datasheet.

Let the air flow!

Reply 28 of 29, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I used this:

http://www.plasma-online.de/index.html?conten … ocket7_bf2.html

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium