VOGONS

First post, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, in another thread I mentioned I had a Tyan Tiger 100 Rev. F with some memory performance issues. Basically, the benchmarks go something like this:
Tiger_100_440BX_P2-450_Memory_Benchmark.jpg

Tiger_100_440BX_P2-450_CPU_Benchmark.jpg

So for some reason, it's losing half of its memory bandwith. In the other thread, nforce4max mentioned that it could be a cache snooping issue, but I can't find any option to disable snooping. The problem seems to persist whether or not I have 2 processors or not and using a different processor doesn't seem to change anything. I've also tried different RAM in different amounts, removing all PCI cards and changing video card, to no avail.

Anyone got any idea what this could be or how I might fix it.

Reply 1 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quick question is there a heatsink on the NB?

EDIT: Can you upload a pic of your system showing what coolers that you are using? Second if there is a cooler on the NB is it stick on or thermal epoxy? BX doesn't like heat much at all and is easy to nerf when allowed to get hot.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try adding a small fan near the second cpu to help cool the nb better and performance should improve. This is very slow for a BX even for two cpus installed. Should be getting 200mb+ in that config. Does the cooler you thermal tape or epoxy?

Reply 4 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You said you tried different CPUs. What speed CPUs did you try? Did you try anything pre-coppermine, like 450-600 MHz CPUs? What happens when you downgrade the BIOS to an older version?

Attached is a Memtest v4.00 screenshot of what my Dell Precision Workstation 410 gets. It is also a dual slot 1 850 MHz machine based on the 440BX chipset.

Attachments

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 6 of 22, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try forcing some air flow beneath the second cpu to help cool the NB and there should be some improvement. The memory controller in the NB doesn't like heat. You can experiment on a different BX board.

Reply 7 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chewhacca, please try a single non-coppermine CPU with a single stick of 128 MB PC100 RAM and report back.

It would also be helpful if you provided BIOS photos of which settings you are using.

Reply 10 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are way more BIOS setting options on your motherboard than on any other board I have. I'd suggest going through the 500-page BIOS Companion Book to determine if any of these settings are crippling your RAM throughput. There is a PDF of the book online. Before you do that, have you fiddled with these:

Method of Memory Detection
DRAM Refresh Rate
SDRAM RAS# to CAS# delay
SDRAM RAS# Precharge

What other options do you have for Method of Memory Detection? It is improbable that the combination of these settings have halved your memory throughput. Have you confirmed board jumpers to see if the RAM speed jumper has been seet slower than the CPU FSB jumper?

This is pobably not important to your memory issues, but any idea why PCI IDE Busmater is set to disabled?

Reply 11 of 22, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dram refreshrate: 15.6ns. GOOD LORD THATS BAD! If memory serves me (pun intended), then 15.6ns equates to 66mhz ram. set that as low as possible. 7.8 is for 133mhz I think.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 12 of 22, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

Dram refreshrate: 15.6ns. GOOD LORD THATS BAD! If memory serves me (pun intended), then 15.6ns equates to 66mhz ram. set that as low as possible. 7.8 is for 133mhz I think.

If my understanding is correct, you want the slowest refresh possible so as to free up resources. The less times the system as to refresh the status of the RAM, the more time it has to do other things. If you RAM can maintain the status of its memory for 15.6 ns without needing to be re-told what data it is holding, that should be more optimal.

Reply 15 of 22, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always set my refresh rate at the lowest setting possible. I suggest setting that to the smallest number and trying to benchmark again.

Reply 16 of 22, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'd almost given up hope. Then I found this: http://www.linuxmisc.com/5-linux-x/6d66a8f8bbff93d4.htm

So I just had to try it. And guess what:

SAM_0038.jpg

Reply 17 of 22, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

There are way more BIOS setting options on your motherboard than on any other board I have.

Actually its a pretty STANDARD for a Tyan board of the era. I have the same board but with a 440GX chipset. it has just as many options. 😜

@Chewhacca

YAY!!! I love undocumented jumper settings!!! This reminds me of my p65up5 board. there is a bios setting labeled "turbo" and the default is on. Turn it off, and it is like turning the turbo button off on a 486, the board slows to a 386 crawl! Well, in the latest bios from Asus, they turned the DEFAULT OFF.

That was "fun" to troubleshoot.

Reply 19 of 22, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Chewhacca wrote:

As an added bonus the thing now seems a tad unstable. Might be time to move on to the Athlon Classic I was putting together. 😁

It could be because this:

Greetings there! […]
Show full quote

Greetings there!

Yeah. But it's need to know that if you are using _dual_ CPU configuration
and remove JP2 you'll got
a crash after several hours of hard job (WinNT4.0 Stress test for example).
So use it carefully.

See ya guys
Paul

This is posted in the page you linked

2611708.png