VOGONS

AWEstruck...

Topic actions

First post, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(Cross-posted from the QuestStudios forum for your enjoyment)

A number of folks seem to regard the the AWE32/64's onboard GM sample-set and playback capabilities as poor, especially compared to their contemporaries, with the 1MB ROM size often brought up as some commonly accepted reason. My contention, however, is the same as with any MIDI synthesizer - native compositions or arrangements, rather than simple General MIDI adaptations, generally provide the best examples of the potential of a device.

Given that Roland's SC-55 was one of the most widely-used General MIDI composition/arrangement devices, there's little wonder that it's also one of the best-sounding playback devices. Let's turn the tables though, and see how it fares against a few AWE32-optimized pieces...

Zone Raiders
E1T1 - CM-500
E1T1 - AWE32

E1T2 - CM-500
E1T2 - AWE32

E1T3 - CM-500
E1T3 - AWE32

E2T5 - CM-500
E2T5 - AWE32

Tyrian 2000
Asteroid Dance, part 1 - CM-500
Asteroid Dance, part 1 - AWE32

A Field for Mag - CM-500
A Field for Mag - AWE32

One Must Fall - CM-500
One Must Fall - AWE32

The Navigator - CM-500
The Navigator - AWE32

Reply 1 of 87, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Cloudschatze,

thank you for this great comparison!

Of course you are right. Roland was THE standard of a time, and almost all tracks composed ON and FOR a Roland synthie sound better when played on one. At least that is what you hear when you ask around. But with Doom the things started to change, for many ears it sounds better when played on Yamaha modules. The same applies to Descent and other later games.

You put in a great example how good a track sounds when optimized for one specific synthesizer but I think the tracks just sound great because they are very limited in the instruments department. The tracks show the positive site of the 1MB EMU ROM (the synthi instruments) and hide its weak sides (guitars, many orchestral instruments for example, unharmonic arrangement). And I think that was a great issue. You can't have good allround quality with just 1MB uncompressed ROM.

So for me the conclusion is: The well known 4MB modules from Roland and Yamaha deliver in almost every game, no matter how complex its music is. Not just because the tracks were composed for them but because the soundfonts offer high quality throughout the bank.

But if you compose a more anemic track of music for the AWE you can really make it shine.

Cheers
Fabian

Last edited by FGB on 2012-07-21, 13:42. Edited 1 time in total.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 2 of 87, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the sound of the AWE. It's different enough from Roland and Yamaha to make it worth listening to.
It's also the first GM compatible card I got (AWE 64 GOLD) after having to listen to SB16 FM music (nothing wrong with it, but sometimes it sounds god awful) for years.

Reply 3 of 87, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

I love the sound of the AWE. It's different enough from Roland and Yamaha to make it worth listening to.
It's also the first GM compatible card I got (AWE 64 GOLD) after having to listen to SB16 FM music (nothing wrong with it, but sometimes it sounds god awful) for years.

The AWE synth is not GM compatible.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 4 of 87, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is for many games, just not all of them because of the driver it uses.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 87, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FGB wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

The AWE synth is not GM compatible.

It is, as long as you use AWEUTIL or Windows 95 and above 😁
Sometimes games have problems playing GM music on the AWE, but I have found very few games that pose such a problem.

Reply 6 of 87, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I should better say: The EMU8K synth is not hardware compatible with the MPU-401 standard and therefore GM emulation always requires a TSR that routes the Midi signals to the proprietary interface of the EMU.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It is for many games, just not all of them because of the driver it uses.

No it's not, for no game at all. You cannot choose "MPU-401" nor "General Midi" unless you installed the memory eating TSR called "AWEUTIL" which restricts the so called "GM compatibility" to real mode games only.
General Midi uses the MPU-401 interface implementation as a de facto standard. And while the soundfont matches the General Midi patchset the EMU is just not compatible with the MPU-401 interface.

I wouldn't recommend the AWE series to anyone who is interested in a General Midi compatible device. Direct AWE support is another thing and works fine but it's of course not the same as the benefit of a MPU-401 interface with native game support under an original software environment (DOS, not W9x).

Reply 8 of 87, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AWE32 has actually the same problem with MPU-401 compatibility as the GUS.
While Gravis showed that this can be solved very well with a TSR (MegaEM) that uses the API of an expanded memory manager to catch port accesses to 0x3x0h while staying compatible with software using dos extenders Creative probably hadn't such skilled programmers. So aweutil also uses the part of protected mode extensions but starting from real mode to catch port access and put there a NMI exception handler. But since aweutil is already in control of protected mode features, no other software may use them anymore at the same time. Thats a real drawback in comparison to the way megaem sets up the emulation.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 9 of 87, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This feels a bit off-topic, but General MIDI is neither defined by, nor restricted to, a specific host MIDI interface type. For all intents and purposes, the AWE32, via software and hardware means, meets all the requirements of a General MIDI device. Whether the General MIDI data is sent via an MPU-401 interface, or directly to the AWE32 itself, the same set of General MIDI files tend to be used in either case.

FGB wrote:

... I think the tracks just sound great because they are very limited in the instruments department.

Actually, and more to the point of the Zone Raiders example, the difference here isn't so much the samples themselves at all, in my opinion; rather, it's the fact that the synth itself is better utilized, with a number of NRPNs being used for the AWE playback to great effect. The fact that the Sound Canvas playback is as poor as it is, however, is a bit unexplainable.

Tyrian, on the other hand, seems to be a case where the arrangement itself just seems to lend itself better to the AWE32 than the Sound Canvas (while still remaining pleasant sounding on both).

Reply 10 of 87, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played a bit of Descent on a SB32 (ct1600) a while ago, i recall thinking how surprisingly good the music was with an awe card. I tried descent recently with a sc55 and was under the impression that i liked it better back then with the awe32.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 11 of 87, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MaxWar wrote:

I played a bit of Descent on a SB32 (ct1600) a while ago, i recall thinking how surprisingly good the music was with an awe card. I tried descent recently with a sc55 and was under the impression that i liked it better back then with the awe32.

CT1600 isn't a real AWE32, it's the budget model with the Vibra chip.

Reply 12 of 87, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

CT1600 isn't a real AWE32, it's the budget model with the Vibra chip.

Thats why i precised SB32. I do not have the 'genuine' awe32, only the sb32. But for all i know it uses the very same wavetable as the AWE32 so its basically the same thing for this type of midi comparison.

Reply 13 of 87, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You both mean CT3600 (SB32) rather than CT1600 which is a SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 with OPL3 synth.

Reply 14 of 87, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FGB wrote:

You both mean CT3600 (SB32) rather than CT1600 which is a SoundBlaster Pro 2.0 with OPL3 synth.

You are right here, the CT3600 is what i meant. :p

Reply 17 of 87, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

Creative probably hadn't such skilled programmers.

It is the hardware design of the emu synth, it is a semi-software synth. I don't see how Aweutil could be improved.

The SB32 CT3600 has a very quiet chipset compared to the others.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 18 of 87, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Several Bullfrog titles have soundtracks that are, in some respects, AWE/EMU8000 showcases - featuring SoundFont instruments (interspersed with ROM-instrument playback), as well as advanced synth effects through use of NRPNs. Here are a few digital captures from Hi-Octane, and one from Magic Carpet 2. Hope you're a fan of Jungle/Trance stuff, as pertains to the former, and Ambient, in the case of the latter... 😵

Hi-Octane
Tracks 1&2 - AWE32
Tracks 3&4 - AWE32
Tracks 5&6 - AWE32

Magic Carpet 2
Main Menu - AWE32

Reply 19 of 87, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Damn. These are fantastic. So, does the game upload a SoundFont on the card or is this the 1MB ROM doing some kind of voodoo trickery?

I always thought System Shock sounded amazing on the AWE, its purely electronic sound seemed to fit right in. Good examples of this is the Intro (on the floppy version, I believe the CD version is recorded) and this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W08yrw5H-Q