Topic actions

Reply 80 of 87, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bristlehog wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

In other news, I suppose this is as good a place as any to bid farewell to the VOGONS forum. I've accomplished just about everything I'd ever wanted to in the "vintage-computing and gaming" space, and am hoping to now (finally) shift the focus to primarily musical interests. Guess we'll see how well that works out... 😀

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

It's sad to hear that you leave, yet I respect your decision to move on. You made an invaluable contribution to the retro hardware community.

Where can one hear to the outcomes of your musical interests?

I second that. Cloudschatze, you are an asset to this forum, you will certainly be missed, but nonetheless I wish you good luck in your future endeavors!

Reply 81 of 87, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah , no need to completely withdraw from here... just pop every now and then with some updates or something... it's not like VOGONS members don't want you here 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 82 of 87, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked at some of the Magic Carpet 2 midi files for AWE32 and don't see nrpn events.

Or does the game itself send nrpn events?

If so, how do you capture the nrpn events to a midi or text file?

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 83 of 87, by spiffythedog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote on 2022-02-07, 14:57:

I looked at some of the Magic Carpet 2 midi files for AWE32 and don't see nrpn events.

Or does the game itself send nrpn events?

If so, how do you capture the nrpn events to a midi or text file?

Looks like it's the latter, which makes it harder to document, especially if you're only working with emulation and virtual machines like me. Despite that, I've just finished adding a ton of entries to the list of games that natively support AWE synth over at the VOGONS wiki. There's definitely some more testing left to do, as a I suspect a few more of these games might take exclusive advantage of the EMU8000 chip (e.g., anything published by Psygnosis and/or composed by PC Music/Rob Lord/Mark Bandola), but just like Stretch I'm not quite sure how to monitor or capture the MIDI data due to how the card works. Is there a specific program I can use? MIDI-OX/MIDI Yoke on PCem has been a bust, naturally. Would anyone out there with actual hardware would be willing to lend a hand?

Outside of the list, there's also a couple of games that I still can't confirm:

• Dragon Engine (1995 - keep getting "Load error: no DPMI" message. Need to edit 'DENGINE.CFG' to change sound settings)
  • Rebel Moon (1995 - rumored to support 3D Positional Audio, still need to confirm)

EDIT: This short list might also provide a few more leads

Reply 84 of 87, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiffythedog wrote on 2022-11-13, 10:36:

Despite that, I've just finished adding a ton of entries to the list of games that natively support AWE synth over at the VOGONS wiki.

Nice work!

If I may suggest, maybe add separate columns for nrpn and custom soundfont use (Yes/No). That would make it a bit easier to spot games which utilize these features, since the notes column is currently packed with a bunch of stuff.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 85 of 87, by spiffythedog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-11-13, 11:18:
spiffythedog wrote on 2022-11-13, 10:36:

Despite that, I've just finished adding a ton of entries to the list of games that natively support AWE synth over at the VOGONS wiki.

Nice work!

If I may suggest, maybe add separate columns for nrpn and custom soundfont use (Yes/No). That would make it a bit easier to spot games which utilize these features, since the notes column is currently packed with a bunch of stuff.

Done. A bit of a crude effort, but it definitely makes it easier to read.

Reply 86 of 87, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiffythedog wrote on 2022-11-13, 16:54:

Done. A bit of a crude effort, but it definitely makes it easier to read.

Thank you!

It's much easier to find the games which use this special functionality now.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 87 of 87, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great, as I never bother with soundfonts only games that so only games that I installed that extra ram for is Dungeon Keeper and Hi-Octane!
(It's fine really, I upgraded more because I can then actual use)

I never knew Rad Rash took advantage of the AWE, cool!