VOGONS

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll put my hands on a 486VLB board and 64Mb of FPM RAM (cool 2 sticks borrowed from some hp server) very soon.

I wonder, what software do you use to make RAM disks? 64Mb is obviuosly way too much for 486DX2-50, but it is cool to play games with almost zero loading time. First of all, I mean Ultima, of course.

Reply 1 of 10, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used RDISK but it is much easier to just install a large disk cache with UIDE. The difference is that, with a RAM drive you'll have to load the files to RAM manually, and with disk cache this is done in the background automatically.

Reply 2 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually use this:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/fre … es/dos/ramdisk/

I recommend to load the ramdisk always on top memory with /t because some software relies to have the free memory at low physical addresses.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 10, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a ramdrive that will put the storage at end of RAM ?
For example, I have 64MB ram, 32MB cacheable by the CPU, so i want to use 32MB as cached ram and the last 32 MB as a ramdrive ?

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 4 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would it be possible to put your swap file on a ramdisk to save wear and tear on a CF drive? And if you have more memory than your system can cache will it still cause the system to slow down if the memory that isn't cached is partitioned as a ramdisk and not normally accessible?

Reply 5 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sunaiac wrote:
elianda wrote:

I recommend to load the ramdisk always on top memory with /t because..

Is there a ramdrive that will put the storage at end of RAM ?
For example, I have 64MB ram, 32MB cacheable by the CPU, so i want to use 32MB as cached ram and the last 32 MB as a ramdrive ?

top of memory -> memtop -> end of ram

I think I mentioned this ramdrive in non cached area already in one of the 386 threads.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 6 of 10, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

Would it be possible to put your swap file on a ramdisk to save wear and tear on a CF drive? And if you have more memory than your system can cache will it still cause the system to slow down if the memory that isn't cached is partitioned as a ramdisk and not normally accessible?

Why locate it in ram? If you do that, you use up physical memory, which means you need more space for a pagefile if your paging needs exceed the amount of free ram....

Just turn the pagefile off if you have a plenty of ram or cf/sd drives.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 7 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
megatron-uk wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Why locate it in ram? If you do that, you use up physical memory, which means you need more space for a pagefile if your paging needs exceed the amount of free ram....

Just turn the pagefile off if you have a plenty of ram or cf/sd drives.

Isn't the point of the pagefile to speed up windows? And if you have 128mb of RAM and the system only caches 64mb, you're going to slow the system down even more.

Reply 8 of 10, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

top of memory -> memtop -> end of ram

I think I mentioned this ramdrive in non cached area already in one of the 386 threads.

Cool, that seems like a really good setup (32 cached ram, 32 ramdrive with doom on it 😁)

Reply 9 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the only issue with a ram disk is the cpu overhead. Even on new systems. its faster than a floppy and hard disk, but if you play a game that continuously loads from the disk, you may have stuttering issues.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Isn't the point of the pagefile to speed up windows? And if you have 128mb of RAM and the system only caches 64mb, you're going to slow the system down even more.

The point is, if you are short on RAM you can use extra RAM as part of the HDD. This is called paging, since pages of memory are put to a storage device.
As side effect, if they are accessed again they have to be exchanged again with another page of RAM so that the CPU can access it.
So it is better to use the RAM directly than to use the RAM for a RAM-Drive and page RAM there since the OS is short of RAM in the remaining RAM.
Paging is a feature of 386 Protected Mode.

Youtube Channel