VOGONS

First post, by retropc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this PCI and AGP video card DOS compatibility chart: http://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/
A videocard compatibility matrix for DOS games.

As expected generally S3 and nVidia are good, while ATI=crap.

Only three cards/chips work fine with all tested software: S3 Savage4 Xtreme and the Trident 3Dimage9750/9850. Extremes are rare and i tend to avoid Trident, so i got myself a S3 Savage4 Pro 32MB from eBay.

Rig: Asus CUBX-E (440BX), PIII 1GHz, 512MB, Geforce Ti 4600 Ultra, Voodoo2, SBLive Platinum, SB16, MT-32

Reply 1 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I discovered that the other day. Gona has an account on VOGONS (and his ATI 3DCIF compatibility testing chart is great as well!)

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 35, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Two questions :

87hz, does this mean the display must support that refresh rate at the given resolution?

For the color issues with LCDs, were they still observed through a DVI connector on the card? The Voodoo 5 5500 PCI MAC edition has a DVI-D connector, and it is not unique on this list.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 4 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi!

Thanks for the PM Stiletto. I have made this test for this topic:
Best DOS video card?

87Hz (and all other yellow colored cells) does this mean this is usually problem for an LCD/TFT monitor. The 62 and 53Hz cells are red colored because this is problem on both LCD/TFT and most CRT also. The 1280x1024 87Hz is an old VESA standard and all late CRT support this.

I have no Voodoo 5 5500 PCI MAC edition or other card that has "Color problems on LCD" with DVI connector. So this is a good question.
As I know it is needed to flash a Mac card for PC (Mac before x86 Macs).

My favourites are: S3 Savage2000; S3 Savage4 and Trident 3Dimage cards. I think the Savage2000 is the fastest on a Pentium MMX; K6 and later class machines. Savage4 and 3Dimage9750 exist in PCI also.
(Maybe later I will make Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and Redneck Rampage benchmarks, but this is a difficult thing because the CPU scaling. For example these do not performs well on a Pentium 100.)

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 5 of 35, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

S3 and Trident cards seem like the most compatible based on this small game sample, along with NVIDIA (except NV1) and Rendition cards. Rendition cards, though, are gonna be slow for ModeX games. Oh well, there's various Doom ports and VQuake for just those headaches listed there.

Also it seems like Permedia/Permedia2 cards don't come with any out-of-the-box VESA support?

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 6 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rendition cards have VESA BIOS Extensions 2.0. This is not bad, only the Fantasy Flipper is a too big advantage (two of my three Rendition cards/chips).
I think they have made a slow down with intent for compatibility, because Rendition is one of the few slow enough chip thet can run Prehistorik 2 without the mode screen scroll problem. In most cases I have turned off the level 1 cache of the CPU (to avoid this always occurrent scroll problem) to testing the video chips. On my K6-III machine without turning off the L1 with cache, the all video chips made this scroll problem. On a Pentium 100 most of them are still have the problem but the Rendition and for example Cirrus Logic are OK. As I remember on a 233MMX the Cirrus have the problem but Rendition is still good. So in this case the Rendition is the most compatible (the slowest) bat the other case too slow with other games.

Permedia 2 chip that I have tested have lot errors caused by it's bios problems. It is interesting but it is also VESA BIOS Extensions 2.0. Maybe the adequacy to this standard is incomplete. Anyway that times 3Dlabs has recommends SciTech UniVBE for DOS users. The UniVBE can solve this bios based problems.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 8 of 35, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ARK chips are actually pretty compatible...who knew?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My site still invisible from US?
And my main page?
http://gona.mactar.hu/
Finally please try the page of my provider (just for test):
http://www.xorp.hu/

Reply 10 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I have no earlier ARK based cards, only I have an ARK Logic ARK2000PV that I have tested. I can say: this chip is the best by compatibility in the pre VBE 2.0 era. The ARK2000 is better LCD/TFT monitor than Cirrus Logic CL-GD5440; S3 Trio64V+ or Trident ProVidia 9685 because ARK not use the fix 87Hz on 1280x1024. So the ARK2000 is the best VBE 1.2 chip by DOS compatibility I have ever tested.

Reply 11 of 35, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can see the website from the US, so whoever can't see it is having some other issue. Maybe the blockage is ISP specific or maybe they need to change to OpenDNS to resolve the address.

Reply 12 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Working fine in the US here, Gona!

RoyBatty: http://www.isup.me/gona.mactar.hu

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

ARK chips are actually pretty compatible...who knew?

At last I got an ARK1000PV card that is updateable to 2MB (all Herules Stingray Pro cards with ARK1000 chip are have maximum 1MB). My card has made by Ark Logic (LBG-1000PV-2M).
So I have made the compatibility tests. It is not bad but the ARK1000 is not as good as ARK2000.

Reply 16 of 35, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very well done. Your list is definitely becoming a solid point of reference. I still think the list should be mirrored/upgraded in Deep Thought. + in Vogons wiki...?

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 17 of 35, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you. The Deep Thought is a very good idea. As soon as I finish to fill the new columns, I will make a thread on Deep Thought.

Reply 18 of 35, by NightSprinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so for Pinball Illusions, mark the Mach64 (and this would probably count for any of ATI's 3D cards, since they all may most likely use the same 2D core) as incompatible in 640x480 and 800x600. Trident TGUI-9680 works perfect in all three. S3 Virge DX works in all modes, but not if my GuS PnP is using legacy initialization. That's a different issue, but I can confirm all three modes work on the Trident 9680 and S3 Virge DX.