VOGONS

Reply 20 of 78, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Phew! was worried someone would jump on it haha;)

Dual Tuls is a cool idea but I'm sticking to my 'Mono Tul' and just keep my peepers open for one of those Athlon 64/AGP 2x boards if one comes along cheap...

Reply 21 of 78, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did I miss something? There are Athlon 64 boards made with fully universal AGP slots? No need to mod the Voodoo5's edge connector?

Though I'm not sure the Voodoo5 can benefit from that much CPU speed. Any old Athlon XP has no problem saturating those old games. I usually use a Tualatin 1400 + 815PE setup.

Reply 22 of 78, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well apparently, but I've never actually handled one so I have no first hand experience. It would be interesting to test such a system to see if there was any performance benfit with Glide games, but I'm inclined to think that it would be marginal at best.

I'm waiting for delivery of a P3-1400 to upgrade my currrent P3-1000 setup, but if a prior Duron 1400 and V5 rig is any guide, the 1400 Tualatin should offer about as much horsepower as the video card can handle. None the less it a benchmark on an AMD 64 system would be interesting..

Reply 23 of 78, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

guys, just go for a barton 2800 and a normal kt333 board and that's it.. if you go with something more modern like a 4000+ then it's like using the card with such a powerful cpu somehow makes it lose its 'retro value' xD (and doesn't give you a speed benefit besides at 640x480).. it would be like using my 5500 mac 24/7 in my socket 1155 system if you know what I mean 😀

Reply 24 of 78, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
nforce4max wrote:
[GPUT]Carsten wrote:

I guess the PCI version of the card is not an option?

Its not if you don't have eBay or the money to buy one. 😢
They are so expensive especially the mac version.

expensive? I got a flashed 5500 dvi mac for 25 bucks last year on mercadolibre 🤣

The typical price for that card isn't $25 but usually well over $100 as there is such a strong demand for it here in the states. Can't forget that the Euro market has pretty strong demand as well but not sure about the Asian market for 3dfx.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 25 of 78, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Did I miss something? There are Athlon 64 boards made with fully universal AGP slots? No need to mod the Voodoo5's edge connector?

Though I'm not sure the Voodoo5 can benefit from that much CPU speed. Any old Athlon XP has no problem saturating those old games. I usually use a Tualatin 1400 + 815PE setup.

I don't remember seeing one in a log time but I must admit I haven't spent a lot of time looking into AM1 754/939 era boards. I like the idea of modding the boards but just don't know enough to be sure 100% about everything. I don't know the actual signal voltage not just the power source for the slot but actual data.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 26 of 78, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As mentioned before, the P4S533 motherboards from Asus (except the X version) have universal AGP slots. I used to own one and it would support a 2.8GHz Northwood (533MHz FSB).

For AthlonXP's, the 3dfx community recommends the Epox EP-8K3A+. It supports AthlonXP 3200+ processors and should get you the best performance with a Voodoo5 5500 AGP.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 27 of 78, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NitroX infinity wrote:

As mentioned before, the P4S533 motherboards from Asus (except the X version) have universal AGP slots. I used to own one and it would support a 2.8GHz Northwood (533MHz FSB).

For AthlonXP's, the 3dfx community recommends the Epox EP-8K3A+. It supports AthlonXP 3200+ processors and should get you the best performance with a Voodoo5 5500 AGP.

Yup, that Epox should be the alpha and omega for V5, but the P4 board sucks. Its not even worth mentioning. 😖 Is there some other relatively modern dual-cpu board that supports 3.3V AGP? Xeon or Opteron maybe?

Reply 28 of 78, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For my voodoo 5, I run it on a DUAL 2800+ under windows XP. This is the board I use: http://www.cabuzzi.com/images/cube/DSC00023.JPG

mine doesnt have onboard nic, but I put in a 64bit gigabit card, so its a moot point anyway. It makes for a POWERFUL setup. The only place where it shows its age is 1080P video on youtube and facebook games.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 29 of 78, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

For my voodoo 5, I run it on a DUAL 2800+ under windows XP. This is the board I use: http://www.cabuzzi.com/images/cube/DSC00023.JPG

mine doesnt have onboard nic, but I put in a 64bit gigabit card, so its a moot point anyway. It makes for a POWERFUL setup. The only place where it shows its age is 1080P video on youtube and facebook games.

That looks and smells like MSI. What board is that?

Reply 30 of 78, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:

Yup, that Epox should be the alpha and omega for V5, but the P4 board sucks. Its not even worth mentioning. 😖 Is there some other relatively modern dual-cpu board that supports 3.3V AGP? Xeon or Opteron maybe?

Can you elaborate on why you say the board sucks?

Reply 31 of 78, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elfuego wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I thought I posted it... Its an MSI master L board. I love how MSI always had red boards and put heatsinks on their mosfets. makes teh board so much more reliable!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 32 of 78, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Yes, I can actually. It supports only Northwood up to 2.8Ghz, disabled hyperthreading and only USB 1.1. Compare it to epox KT333 which can host a mobile barton 3200+ (with quite literaly >2.5Ghz), has full USB support and leaves any P4 except for maybe prescott in dust.

In other words: meh 😖 not worth the bother.

Reply 33 of 78, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
elfuego wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I thought I posted it... Its an MSI master L board. I love how MSI always had red boards and put heatsinks on their mosfets. makes teh board so much more reliable!

I must have missed it. Do you think that these dual xeon MSI boards would support 3.3V AGP too?
http://www.msi.com/product/server/E7505-Master-L-Series.html
or
http://www.msi.com/product/server/E7505-Maste … 2-F-Series.html

If those would support V5, I bet it would be interesting to try it out.

Reply 35 of 78, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

SURVEY SAYS...
"- Supports AGP 8x/4x."

I'd say NO.

...and this one?
http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/thunderi860.html

Reply 37 of 78, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Yes, I can actually. It supports only Northwood up to 2.8Ghz, disabled hyperthreading and only USB 1.1. Compare it to epox KT333 which can host a mobile barton 3200+ (with quite literaly >2.5Ghz), has full USB support and leaves any P4 except for maybe prescott in dust.

Got it. What P4 board would you recommend then? KT333 is AMD.

Reply 38 of 78, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
elfuego wrote:
Jan3Sobieski wrote:

Got it. What P4 board would you recommend then? KT333 is AMD.

Thats the problem, right there! There seems to be no decent P4 board for V5 🙁 The only ones on which V5 would run are a joke performance-wise compared to AMD counterparts. So far, it seems that the MSI Master L is the absolute king of the hill. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am constantly open for suggestions 😊

Reply 39 of 78, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back to the original question: what about using one of those AGP2PCI/AGP2PCIE adapters?
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18419

or PCI2PCIE?
http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16658

Sure, you start running into expensive prices for limited production run riser card PCBs and _strange_ mounting inside a case, but compatibility with faster boards increase phenomenally.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto