VOGONS

First post, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Roland Sc-8850 just came in the mail but there's no power cord. I understand that the Sc-8850 has a universal power supply that can go from 100v-230v and it peaks at 11 watts. Here's a pic of the back of my Sc-8850. It just says 230v and 11 watts.

http://www.darkterminal.net/photo.jpg

I have my power cable from the original xbox that fits. The cable is rated at 7A at 125 volts. In the US voltage is 120v. I'm not much of an electrician but would this cable work?

-Tristan

Reply 1 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That cable is very easy to find, its the three pin ones that get to be frustrating but you can find that cable in use with common house hold electronics.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 25, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

11 watt is not 11 ampere. both cables are far more than enough for your sc8850, which requires less than 0.1A to function.
however, i encourage you to watch out to the 220V input needed. while some materials say that sc8850 has a universal power supply that can go from 100v-230v, i wonder if they are actually refering to "different versions supporting either 110v or 220v", or why is "220V" marked in your picture?
i have seen open-up pictures of the sc88pro, its voltage transformer has several input pillars marked "100v", "120v", "220v", what voltage it would accept depends on which pillar the input cable is soldered to.

Reply 9 of 25, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trist007 wrote:

C'mon guys, I got a whole directory filled with midi files. Just making sure I don't damage the unit.

-Tristan

can you send me a list? because i am a fan of midi files too. 😀

Reply 10 of 25, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Come on, it's not a power supply - it just needs a figure-8 mains cable. The power supply is built in to the unit!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 11 of 25, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the cable. What concerns me is that it says 230v. Im in the US with 120v and I dont want to damage it. I'm wondering if even though it says 230v the unit can take 120v because they claim to be universla. But before plugging it in, I wanted to get verification so that I don't damage the unit. I've looked at pictures of other sc8850s on the web and they say 100v. Would it be safe to plug it in?

Reply 12 of 25, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
trist007 wrote:

I have the cable. What concerns me is that it says 230v. Im in the US with 120v and I dont want to damage it. I'm wondering if even though it says 230v the unit can take 120v because they claim to be universla. But before plugging it in, I wanted to get verification so that I don't damage the unit. I've looked at pictures of other sc8850s on the web and they say 100v. Would it be safe to plug it in?

as i said, different units supporting either 100v/120v or 220v, just have their input cable soldered to different pillars of the transformer.

and to make things more complicated, some units may have been modified by their owners to support different power input. for example, the SC88PRO picture that i saw was manufactured with 110v marked, but power input is resoldered to the 220v input pillar to be used in china.

so, your best solution is to get some help to find out how the input is connected to the internal voltage transformer. and if its indeed connected to 220v pillar, get a 110v to 220v transformer.

Reply 14 of 25, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the power supply out of the SC-8850. Here are the pics

https://darkterminal.net/ps1.jpg
https://darkterminal.net/ps2.jpg

Which one is the transformer?

-Tristan

Last edited by trist007 on 2012-08-09, 13:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 25, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah my links were not working. Sorry about that. They are now fixed.

Ok so I found that the transformer is the yellow square. I need to get a 110v transformer that matches the millamps of the one that is already there. Then I would also need to replace that 250v fuse with a 125v one with the same amperage. Would there be anything else I would have to change?

-Tristan

Reply 18 of 25, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might contact Roland's parts department. Not only will they have access to the relevant service manual, and can tell you exactly what might be needed to switch the voltage type, but they should also be able to supply any and all parts, including an entire 117V power-supply board, if that's what it takes.

Reply 19 of 25, by trist007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I called customer support - parts department and they said the part was discontinued. I asked for the power supply specs like voltage input/output amperage and wattage, but they couldn't help. 🙁 At this point I'd like to hunt down the electronic specs. The owner's manual only has the following.

Power Supply
117, 230, or 240 V AC

Power Consumption
11 W

But I still need output voltage and amperage. Then I'd hunt down a power supply online that matches that. In the meantime I'll use a step up transformer.

-Tristan

-Tristan