VOGONS

Best Fanless AGP/PCI Graphics Card

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 81, by cskamacska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A local shop sold Zotac ZT-40605-10L GT430 PCI cards(for relatively cheap, it was same price as on Newegg even with 27% VAT - it was also a miracle that such a niche product made it here, were not exactly Akihabara 🙄) that i could have used to upgrade my machine, but they sold the last of their stock today, so no HDMI upgrade for my ultimate K6 dream. 😢
It still can be obtained through eBay, and such, but those would cost much more(60 euros+shipping, or 70 dollars + shipping + VAT and duty 😵 ) minus the local warranty.

the loyal slave learns to love the lash

Reply 41 of 81, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought an eVGA GeForce 6200 (AGP, 256MB, 64-bit bus) card to replace a GeForce4 MX 440 (AGP, 64MB) that was in a Dell Dimension 4600 system. Both cards are fanless. I was initially worried that the 64-bit bus of the 6200 card might hinder its performance, but so far I'm very pleased. In Live for Speed S2, which is the only recent game that's installed on the system, the 6200 is 2x to 3x faster than the 440. Not a bad upgrade for $25.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 42 of 81, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Passive cooling for an inherently hot component like a GPU can easily become a nightmare.

For silence it's much more practical to use large fans at low rpm => high CFM, low decibels.

This Radeon 6870 modified with an Accelero S1 heatsink and two 120mm fans is inaudible at idle:

7064306.jpg

7064389.jpg

With the original squirrel-cage blower...

AMD-Radeon-HD-6870-Review-20.jpg

... the sound was like an aircraft carrier deck while launching jets 😮 .

Let the air flow!

Reply 44 of 81, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Na if you want to see a very loud card then either give the FX5800 aka the "dust buster" or the ATI X1900xt/x.

😵
The topic is, as I believe, "Best Fanless AGP/PCI Graphics Card" and not best vacuum cleaner AGP card 🤣

Reply 45 of 81, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If space is at a premium, there are slim fans just 12mm (half an inch) thick:

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/068/sy1 … l12_detail.html

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/035/sy1 … l12_detail.html

http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/016/sy1 … 10l_detail.html

sam0073hl.jpg

Let the air flow!

Reply 46 of 81, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SiliconClassics wrote:

I recently bought an eVGA GeForce 6200 (AGP, 256MB, 64-bit bus) card to replace a GeForce4 MX 440 (AGP, 64MB) that was in a Dell Dimension 4600 system. Both cards are fanless. I was initially worried that the 64-bit bus of the 6200 card might hinder its performance, but so far I'm very pleased. In Live for Speed S2, which is the only recent game that's installed on the system, the 6200 is 2x to 3x faster than the 440. Not a bad upgrade for $25.

Was your MX 440 64-bit or 128-bit?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 48 of 81, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
This 9800 Pro with double sided heatsink and heatpipe looks like it could work passively, or close to it: […]
Show full quote

This 9800 Pro with double sided heatsink and heatpipe looks like it could work passively, or close to it:

radeon_9800pro_04.jpg

It could but there still has to be some airflow or the heat gradually builds until there is a crash. What op wanted was a passive single slot agp card with working win9x support. There are not very many made but there were a few passive coolers that on the gpu side of the card only had the base and a few heatpipes that wrapped around to the other side with the rest of the cooler.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 49 of 81, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is my Geforce 6800GT 256MB AGP card with fanless heatsink:

2012-10-27%2002.48.00.jpg
2012-10-27%2002.48.26.jpg

I bought this Thermaltake cooler when the card was new, and it worked perfectly until the card was retired in 2007 for a Geforce 8800 GTX. Never experienced any instability.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 51 of 81, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TELVM wrote:
Curious how that golden heatsink pokes through an adjacent slot. […]
Show full quote

Curious how that golden heatsink pokes through an adjacent slot.

60.jpg

It can be bent pretty easily since it is made of cobber. I think it's designed that way so it will make a better fit with all type of cases. Mine have just been bent a bit during storage.

I can also add that on certain cases that external heatsink can be a bitch to fit in along with the card.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 52 of 81, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently bought the EVGA geforce 6200 PCI 512mb fanless card for my Thinkcentre M52.

Pretty good for a PCI card. I can play DooM3 in high detail in 640x480 on my CRT TV and its very smooth.

However im having some glitches with dual display ( CRT Tv + widescreen monitor). It can work fine for a while then it can stop to work and i have to reinitialize or somehow once in a while the TV will kind of lose sync for a split second and the image will jerk.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 53 of 81, by [GPUT]Carsten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one of those Zotac Geforce GT 430 PCI (single slot, full height) here. Even though it is barely considered a step up from integrated graphics these days, it could very well be one of the fastest PCI cards available. PCI is limiting it to around 12M polys/s on my Pentium 3-S at 1.4 GHz. 😉

robertmo wrote:

They get quite hot, even with modded BIOS to lower voltage. Real passive cooling is a no-go for these.

Reply 54 of 81, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Was your MX 440 64-bit or 128-bit?

GPU-Z reports it as 64-bit. It's the low-profile Dell OEM AGP-8X version and looks bare-bones. Model numbers on the front of the card are Nvidia P117, 180-10117-0000-B00, 8902 Ver: 110, and on the rear are stickers labeled CN-0G0169-69702-442-3238 and Rev A03. Complete specs are here.

Looks like this:

angle-800-04.jpg

Last edited by SiliconClassics on 2013-12-25, 04:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 56 of 81, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was writing in reply to feipoa, but his post seems to have been deleted.

Regarding diagnostics of 128-bit vs 64-bit memory interface:
GPU-Z does not work on windows 98. Only older versions of CPU-Z run on 98. The Nvidia Control Panel does not show the memory interface information. I will try Rivatuner later.
The MX440 8x cards I have are stated as 64-bit on the box.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 58 of 81, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rivatuner did the job nicely, will add the results later.

I checked but this was not true, it does not give this detail on the box:
"The MX440 8x cards I have are stated as 64-bit on the box"

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 59 of 81, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you can also have fans blowing perpendicular to the card. The thing is there is no really good fan less card unless by good you mean doesn't have solder/BGA failure. With out air movement the heat will collect, nothing to settle down the excited atoms.