VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is anyone else beginning to have alot of trouble with hardware? I realize alot of my stuff is pushing 15-20 years old, but it seems over the last three years, I've been losing alot of stuff. Motherboards, harddrives, soundcards... ect.

Is it just me?

/end rant

Reply 3 of 13, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not bother trying to solder SMD electrolytic caps without a hot air station. Most of the solder is underneath. I think its easier to use regular leaded caps and make small L shapes in the legs with tweezers.

Last month I fully recapped my X68000 compact and almost all the electrolytic caps are SMD. Almost 70 of em. Biggest recap job i ever made.

You can see work log and pictures here:
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4931.0

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 4 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SMD soldering isn't hard once you get the hang of it, I once had to repair a 8800gtx a few years back that had lost all but two of its caps. If you want something that will intimidate even the experienced pros then a yamaha cs-80 will make them crap their pants. The trick is to not let the board and components get to hot while you are trying to solder. Hot air works when doing chips but a simple iron will work for caps.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 13, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Moogle! wrote:

Is anyone else beginning to have alot of trouble with hardware? I realize alot of my stuff is pushing 15-20 years old, but it seems over the last three years, I've been losing alot of stuff. Motherboards, harddrives, soundcards... ect.

Is it just me?

/end rant

I have things that are 30+ years old which have original parts and still work fine (I'm sure they will need some sort of servicing at some point: probably power supply capacitors).

I've never had a hard drive fail on me, and I own loads of them. The only computers which I owned that failed, were... thinkpads! T40s and T60s. It's sad because they're nice to use.

nforce4max wrote:

SMD soldering isn't hard once you get the hang of it, I once had to repair a 8800gtx a few years back that had lost all but two of its caps. If you want something that will intimidate even the experienced pros then a yamaha cs-80 will make them crap their pants. The trick is to not let the board and components get to hot while you are trying to solder. Hot air works when doing chips but a simple iron will work for caps.

A CS-80 has surface mount capacitors?! CS-80s, Polymoogs, Chromas, OB-Xas, etc... not many like to work on those.

Reply 6 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
raymangold22 wrote:
I have things that are 30+ years old which have original parts and still work fine (I'm sure they will need some sort of servici […]
Show full quote
Moogle! wrote:

Is it just me?

/end rant

I have things that are 30+ years old which have original parts and still work fine (I'm sure they will need some sort of servicing at some point: probably power supply capacitors).

I've never had a hard drive fail on me, and I own loads of them. The only computers which I owned that failed, were... thinkpads! T40s and T60s. It's sad because they're nice to use.

nforce4max wrote:

A CS-80 has surface mount capacitors?! CS-80s, Polymoogs, Chromas, OB-Xas, etc... not many like to work on those.

No but the sheer amount of caps, turn pots, and other tweaking including the replacing of rare ic chips make it a project only for the dedicated few to rebuild one of these rare machines but is totally worth it.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 13, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Moogle! wrote:

My gear is stored in my crawlspace which is a light-free cool dry place, so that has helped. It may get dirty but so far everything still works. In fact, the only thing that has died in a decade is a RGB TTL monitor where the intensity pin pathway isn't working, so it only displays the first 8 colors. Probably a simple repair.

I have a 5160 with both a CGA and MDA monitor connected to it and all three are still working after 30 years, no discoloration or burn-in. However, the 5160 gets turned on a few times a week, so I think that regular use of it has kept it going. I think if you have a machine in storage for a decade and then power it on without letting it warm up to room temperature (at least let the hard drive thermally recalibrate), you might find trouble when you flip the switch.

Reply 8 of 13, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A couple of years ago I went through my batch of small IDE hard drives and kept the working ones in a box. About two months ago when I needed some I found out that they have all gone bad except for a 2 GB Quantum Bigfoot.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 9 of 13, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently i started putting my gear for storage in sealed plastic containers along with Silica gel bags. In the hope that they do not deteriorate ( too much ).

Reply 11 of 13, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Plastic is pretty staticy. Use anti-static bags or paper.

I had a similar experience with my small IDE drives. Out of 8 in the 1-10GB range, 1 worked. Moving parts... Thank god for IDE to CF adaptors.

Reply 12 of 13, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hatta wrote:

Plastic is pretty staticy. Use anti-static bags or paper.

I had a similar experience with my small IDE drives. Out of 8 in the 1-10GB range, 1 worked. Moving parts... Thank god for IDE to CF adaptors.

All my parts are in anti static bags and or cardboard boxes before i put them in the containers.

Reply 13 of 13, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Moogle! wrote:

Is it just me?

/end rant

Solar flares man. Mercury in retrograde! Planned obsolescence! /tinfoil hat 🤣