VOGONS

First post, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Strange things are happening with this game on Tseng VGA cards.

Take a look:
uHp5a.jpg

Tested on 4000AX, 4000W32. The same thing takes place on DosBox also when choose Tseng as video adapter in dosbox.conf!

WTF?

Reply 2 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's one of my "see if the board is OK" games... I run this, keen4 and jazz jackrabbit, if any fails then that vga is not for me 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stbunny wrote:

Tested on 4000AX, 4000W32. The same thing takes place on DosBox also when choose Tseng as video adapter in dosbox.conf!

WTF?

It's the same with Keen4 and above, except in Keen you can fix it with the "SVGA Compatibiilty" option.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 14, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen similar artifacts in Keen 4-6 with my S3-805 VLB card until I did the SVGA compatibility fix.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 7 of 14, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The fact is that both of my Tseng cards are built-in. The first one integrated into IBM PS/2 and the second one into Compaq Presario 660. I like so much how they work with Windows 3.1 and just hoped that there is some possibility to fix this bug in one of my favorite game.

P55T2P4, Intel Pentium 133MHz, 32Mb EDO, S3 Virge 325, YMF-719s + SC-55, AHA-2940U2W, ST39175LW, UltraPlex40Max, Opti USB PCI, Sony CPD-G400P 19"

Reply 8 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My PS1/pro has a built-in VGA too, but when I install another on the ISA bus (a cirus logic one, they work on dave3 fine btw) it gets used and overrides the onboard one... maybe you can resort to that as a last option...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 14, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:
stbunny wrote:

WTF?

It's the same with Keen4 and above, except in Keen you can fix it with the "SVGA Compatibiilty" option.

Run Dave's exe (START.EXE) with the /COMP command line argument. I had virtually the same issues with the game and my S3 805 chipset VLB card until I used it.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 14, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think i recall to have seen this on one of my both VLB ET4000W32P cards, i had this style graphics and otherone with the later firmware eeprom was without error.

Maybe it is firmware related, what is printed on the eeprom, my good one has 1.32

Reply 11 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

Run Dave's exe (START.EXE) with the /COMP command line argument. I had virtually the same issues with the game and my S3 805 chipset VLB card until I used it.

Ah, handy! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 12 of 14, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

Groovy! Thanks a lot!

Reply 13 of 14, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

it's one of my "see if the board is OK" games... I run this, keen4 and jazz jackrabbit, if any fails then that vga is not for me 😀

I add Supaplex(usual scrolling problems) to it, and one Cracktro with scrolling and Terminator head(wrong pallete).

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 14 of 14, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a weird issue with my tseng 4000 ISA card and Ultima VII. I have a Cirrus Logic based diamond speedster in it now but I tried running the game with a tseng and I would get a weird distortion at the top of the screen usually when a new screen would load. I tried 2 different tseng cards and had the same issue.