VOGONS

Socket A questions

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 49, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elfuego wrote:

On the performance side - its 100% identical to a normal Barton, so if you already have a stable 2500+ running at 2.2Ghz (3200+ speed), dont bother getting a mobile version. Difference between 2.2Ghz and 2.5Ghz is really not *that* great.

I am sorry but "Difference between 2.2Ghz and 2.5Ghz is really not *that* great." for Athlon XP that is really great, where not talking pentiums here.

As posted before these coolers are really good.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Thermaltake Volcano
Thermaltake A1998 Copper Heatsink for Socket A 462 AMD Athlon XP
And a PAL8045 i like this too.

I have all of them, and should test them somtime, the Big typhoon is really good but long due to heatpipe design and heavy and a shroud is really needed. but is really quiet compared to others.

My personal favour should be big typhoon, others have less metal weight and smaller fans and should be more noisy or have less cooling capacity.
BTW Orbs were nice in the beginning of P3's and Geforce256 but this only look nice, a solid aluminum block with a 40mm fan will do better cooling. so they suck....hard. but look nice.

And Btw Mobile versions rule all AXP's, i have 4 of them and love them, so much headroom and or cool to run.
They are the best barton core samples that were printed, i will not mention multi unlocked because we can all unlock our bartons making it a mobile due to altering the L bridge.

Reply 41 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

I am sorry but "Difference between 2.2Ghz and 2.5Ghz is really not *that* great." for Athlon XP that is really great, where not talking pentiums here.

I call this nitpicking 😜 but you are right of course, I should rephrase myself and add "from today's point of view, the difference is not that great". Or better said, the 10% speed difference does not justify the exponential difference in heat dissipation (e.g. stable, silent working environment). My mobile barton does reach 2.5, but I keep it at 2.1-2.3 at stock voltage and lowest RPM / noise. Kinda useful when you play good old DOS games with some PC beeper sounds 😀

Back when Bartons were modern I had a different perspective - that system was juiced and tuned to the max - but it was far from silent 😒
BTW, this is nitpicking too

JaNoZ wrote:
As posted before these coolers are really good. ... Thermaltake Volcano ... I have all of them, […]
Show full quote

As posted before these coolers are really good.
Thermaltake Volcano
I have all of them,

If you do have all of thermaltake volcanos, then you should know that TT Volcano 6 sucks (even for athlons and durons up to 1.2Ghz) and you wouldnt recommend it. You would also know that Volcano 6+ is better, but its a 'screemer' like GF 5800 ultra. Volcano 7 is pure crap, Volcano 7+ is decent. Volcanos 8-12 are mid rangers that are worse in performance then 7+. This I know, because I've tried them back when they were modern and every single one except for 7+ ended in a trash can.

Reply 42 of 49, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like that A1998. I may have to pick one up whenever my stock Socket A fan dies. It's worked this long and I don't push the Barton machine too hard, but I figure, "If it's not baroque yet, then don fix it."

I put one of these ZeroTherm BTF90 Butterfly coolers on my dad's socket AM2 machine. It's cool and it's quiet, but I hate the sheer size that beast. I'm always chafing my knuckles on it when I stick my hands in there. The A1998 just might give my XP system a little more room in the box. I've always been a fan of Thermaltake.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 43 of 49, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like i'm leaning towards the typhoon since i have one laying around. might not have holes in mobo for it but, if my friend could successfully drill hots in gfx card fora heat sink i imagine it shouldn't be too hard on an old socket A, the traces are HUG by today's standards and i don't the think the boards had to many PCB layers.

If i go the typhoon an older more awesome case might be in order though at which point ti wouldn't be the same machine as it was/is all these years but, would look way better.

Kind if a, if you give a mouse a cookie . . . kind of thing, it's addictive.

Reply 44 of 49, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ogoing issue with keeping athlon xp's cool but usually I just go for cheap coolers.

Akasa coolers I found very iffy, they did a big yellow one with leds and a copper base that was useless because it basically wasn't flat.

I tried a small copper Qtec but that used a 5-6000rpm fan, too noisy and not especially cool.

Those [coolermaster?] aero coolers look and sound like jet engines, noisy and very heavy too.

I ended up with getting a run of the mill speeze which seems ok, certainly as effective as any of the others i tried.

Reply 45 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love the old Arctic Cooling range. Had one of them with a Sempron (can't remember which one but I think it was the top Socket A Sempron).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 46 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I love the old Arctic Cooling range. Had one of them with a Sempron (can't remember which one but I think it was the top Socket A Sempron).

I like the copper silent 3 a lot. It's silent and cools better and more silent then the stock coolers (ofcourse 😜 ).
They keep my Barton 3200+ cool and quiet 😀

I really hate CPU coolers that make a lot of noise.

And those coolers were cheap too 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 47 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

Looks like i'm leaning towards the typhoon since i have one laying around. might not have holes in mobo for it but

Well, if the ancient Abit KT7A had holes for it, chances are - every decent newer MoBo will have them too. If you are talking about that nforce 2 asus Mobo - that one has the holes (judging by the pic from here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_A/A7N8X_Deluxe/ ) .

Reply 49 of 49, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a Thermaltake Silent boost cooler sometime in 2004 and it's been used in a number of Socket A systems that have passed by me. In many cases, it's annoying to install because it's kinda big. However, after all these years, and all the dust that's covered it, the thing remains quiet with it's original fan and the copper heatsink seems to do it's job sufficiently. It's better than the stock AMD coolers but I wouldn't recommend it for overclocking (then again, I also don't recommend overclocking.)

T925-1066.jpg