User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

a challenger appears!

http://www.dansdata.com/quickshot011.htm

its load as HELL. I used to have one.

Had that one as well. Twas a decent one. Very decent one. Though, TT Vulcano 7+ is the one that made me a fan of TT (not a TT fan 😊 )

...and keep away from those orbs. They look nice, but they suck in performance. I had some copper dual-fan orb-like cooler that was like 35 eur back at the time (or was it 35 DM, dunno) and it couldnt even keep duron spitfire 700 cooled at 850 Mhz! Lame! 😜

Reply 21 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have Thermalright SLK700 and SLK800, and a Thermaltake Pipe101 from the Socket A days. These are great. But it's very hard to find old CPU coolers.

Here's a good one. You even get a fan controller for your $20.
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-CNPS7000B-ALCU-9 … g/dp/B0006VHVB4
the -Cu version is better of course but I wouldn't pay much more for it.

Reply 22 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
I still have Thermalright SLK700 and SLK800, and a Thermaltake Pipe101 from the Socket A days. These are great. But it's very ha […]
Show full quote

I still have Thermalright SLK700 and SLK800, and a Thermaltake Pipe101 from the Socket A days. These are great. But it's very hard to find old CPU coolers.

Here's a good one. You even get a fan controller for your $20.
http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-CNPS7000B-ALCU-9 … g/dp/B0006VHVB4
the -Cu version is better of course but I wouldn't pay much more for it.

Those two thermalrights are the best heatsinks Socket A has ever saw, but they were really expensive and are still hard to find. I am surprised the Zalman is still available - it is decent (can cooldown high grade athlon XP), but performance was never great (forget about overclocking). The main plus about that particular cooler is that it should be silent (never tried myself).

Reply 23 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm pretty sure that the 7000 AlCu can handle almost any Athlon XP overclocking effort. There's a lot of surface area and the 92mm fan can run up to around 2600 RPM. The design gives mobo components lots of airflow too.

Maybe if you want to run ~2.0v you'd want water cooling. 😀

Reply 24 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the 7000 AlCu can handle almost any Athlon XP overclocking effort. There's a lot of surface area and the 92mm fan can run up to around 2600 RPM. The design gives mobo components lots of airflow too.

Maybe if you want to run ~2.0v you'd want water cooling. 😀

This guy here disagrees, and I agree with him (this is not the only test I've looked):
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/zalma … heat_sink/3.htm

"Conclusion
This heat sink and fan are definitely not for those who want to overclock."

Edit: Epic comparison (TT Big typhoon also included):
http://www.behardware.com/articles/568-29/tes … pu-coolers.html

TT Big typhoon 21 C vs Zalman 29 C

BTW, I just remembered the Coolermaster hyper 6 - that thing is louder then nv 5800 ultra, but it does get the job done 😀

Reply 25 of 49, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My XP-2200 has a Thermaltake Sonic Tower on it. It is an awesome cooler, runs fine even with no fan. Of course, I don't play any demanding games on it....

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 26 of 49, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hater Depot wrote:

My XP-2200 has a Thermaltake Sonic Tower on it. It is an awesome cooler, runs fine even with no fan. Of course, I don't play any demanding games on it....

I just got a new old stock one of these it's massive - i'm scared it will break something 🤣

Reply 27 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elfuego wrote:

This guy here disagrees, and I agree with him (this is not the only test I've looked):
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/zalma … heat_sink/3.htm

He's showing a load temp of 35.5*C and complaining about it. Get real. And it's no surprise that Thermalright XP90 is better considering it was in another price class and is solid copper with heatpipes. But there he shows 26* C load temp which is rather suspect because it's only ~3* C above ambient temp!

I get the feeling you think of AXP overclocking as running 2.6 GHz on 1.9v or some such. Sure in that case you want a nice cooler but that is a bit of a pointless extreme at this point I think.

Hater Depot wrote:

That's definitely a lot of cooling capacity there. But note that with towers you sometimes need to consider airflow for the motherboard VRMs because towers don't provide any. I have a P35 board with discolored PCB because I didn't consider this. 😉

Reply 28 of 49, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll take a look at my Barton 2800+ when I go home, I forget what type of cooler I have. It's the same CPU/Fan combo I've had since I ordered it back in 2003. It's survived several lightning strikes and 3 dead ASUS motherboards- I've never had to replace the CPU. That thing is a workhorse! I've currently got it attached to an A7N8X Deluxe motherboard on XP Professional. That was the first computer I ever built from scratch. I highly recommend and vouch for the Barton AMD processors.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 29 of 49, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He's showing a load temp of 35.5*C and complaining about it.

While we're on the topic, what's a decent load temperature for these things and what software reliably reports on the temperatures? IIRC, Athlon XPs don't have built in digital temperature sensors.

I ask, because I have an XP2600+ on the way for my K7T266 motherboard. I had an 1800 in this thing with a volcano 7, and always found that the fan was too loud. At the time, I couldn't find software that would read the temperature other than the bios. So I just set it to a decent noise level and left it at that. Never had stability problems, but with a faster CPU I'm afraid I might.

These days you can run CPUs as hot as you want, and they'll shut down before any damage happens. But I don't think Athlons of this era did that.

Reply 30 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Athlon XP is the first Athlon with an internal thermistor but you need a motherboard that will use it. If there is a thermistor in the socket, it's possible that the motherboard uses that instead.

AMD specifies Athlon XP for a max die temp of 85-90 C. I go for < 70 C.

It's true that Athlon has no overheat protection itself but the motherboard will typically have some form of it. It's inadequate for a situation such as removing the heatsink while in operation though. And sometimes motherboards come configured with the protection disabled by default.

Reply 32 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Aren't Socket A and socket 370 coolers interchangeable?

Yes, though I wouldn't want to use a typical s370 cooler on any Athlon.
Athlons produce over twice the heat a typical s370 CPU does and coolers were made to accommodate that.
They are compatible with s7 also btw (though usually some motherboard parts prevent the mounting of a large s370/sA cooler)

Edit:You may want to be careful using a sA cooler on any s370 CPU with an IHS though

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

He's showing a load temp of 35.5*C and complaining about it. Get real.

You surely know that he is testing it without a case, just a MB+CPU+basic stuff attached? And you surely noticed that AMD stock cooler (that you get for 'free' when u buy a barton) keeps it at 40C too? If you do not want to overclock, use a normal, plain, FREE, stock cooler. Hell, its not even that loud 😊

swaaye wrote:

I get the feeling you think of AXP overclocking as running 2.6 GHz on 1.9v or some such. Sure in that case you want a nice cooler but that is a bit of a pointless extreme at this point I think.

Actually no, I only think on stable and silent overclock to 2.2-2.4Ghz at stock voltage in a closed case, filled with Voodoos, sound cards and a bunch of hard drives where everything produces heat. But I get the feeling that you think of overclocking in a perfect environment with open (or no) case and air conditioning. I am afraid, we interpret the

cdoublejj wrote:

Does any one know about how well the old Athlon XP 2500+ overclocked?

a bit differently 😁

One more thing - Zalman (29 C in the test) is 24$ + 9$ transport = 33$ here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zalman-CNPS7000C-ALCU … =item3cb93a6fee
vs
Thermaltake big typhoon (21 C in the test) 33 eur at amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000CEGUK8/ref=asc_df … ASIN=B000CEGUK8
You certainly cannot disagree that 38% better cooling is not worth a few cents more? 😎

Edit: in worst case scenario (max RPM), big typhoon is also more silent then zalman e.g. 42 dB vs 48 dB.

Reply 34 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do have a lot of history with the 2500+. I've set many of them up and ran one overclocked for years. If you want to do 2.5 GHz 1.85v or similar you need a quality heatsink but my SLK800 has no problem at all with it (the fan does not need to be screaming) and it is not exactly the pinnacle of coolers even if it was great in 2002.

Everybody here who wants to run Athlon XP should be getting a cheap XP-M Barton from ebay. They are so cheap lately.

Big Typhoon is very nice. I've used it with Athlon64 X2. They are however annoying to install compared to a socket snap-on heatsink. But then the Zalman is that way too. It's unfortunate that there don't seem to be any semi quality snap-on heatsinks for Socket A anymore.

Reply 36 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sgt76 wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Everybody here who wants to run Athlon XP should be getting a cheap XP-M Barton from ebay. They are so cheap lately.

Do they run on an Asus A7N8X?

Of course. They run on almost any Socket A board. Even on Abit KT7A 😀

Reply 38 of 49, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

Well if/when i get this machine it already has 2500+. I'm gonna guess the mobile version runs a bit cooler and or is a bit more optimized?

It runs a lot cooler, since the default voltage is usually lower. It's also unlocked by default, so overclocking is very, very simple.

On the performance side - its 100% identical to a normal Barton, so if you already have a stable 2500+ running at 2.2Ghz (3200+ speed), dont bother getting a mobile version. Difference between 2.2Ghz and 2.5Ghz is really not *that* great.

Reply 39 of 49, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course. They run on almost any Socket A board. Even on Abit KT7A Happy

Crap, and here I thought the 266fsb Thoroughbred 2600+ was the best CPU I could use on my KT266 chipset motherboard. Looking at some old reviews, it looks like a 3000 Barton is about 10% better than a 2600+ Thoroughbred. That's nothing to sneeze at.