VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have this ISA 486 board here which I pulled from a complete system, and it doesn't POST at all. In fact not even the PSU will spin up when attached to this thing, which is probably not a good sign.

IMG_3000.jpg

Physically it looks perfect, and the system I pulled it from was in fantastic condition. There's no battery damage, etc. I've tried different CPU's in it, pulled out all of the socketed chips and re-seated them, etc, but all I ever get is a quick flash of the green LED down near the cache chips and then nothing. No beeps from the speaker.

My last hope was that the jumper settings were wrong, but I've found this stason entry based on the "486UF" on the board and they all look fine:

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AD … -486-486UF.html

There are some undocumented jumpers though, so I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas, or even experience with this board?

Reply 2 of 17, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unrelated... but, 'interesting' looking extra slot near that 8-bit ISA connector. Wonder what it is.

Edit: Ah, proprietary memory card.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 17, by stbunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can see that you connected external battery. Is the battery polarity correct?
There are two oscillators and JP8 to choose between them. Try to close it if it's not or to open it.
Does the CPU getting wormer after start?

Reply 4 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are two oscillators and JP8 to choose between them.

No, one of those oscillators is for the coprocessor socket. The JP8 is for choosing 1:1 or 2:1 frequency from the CPU oscillator... i.e., a 50mhz oscillator could either run the CPU at 50 or 25mhz, depending on the JP8 setting. And an incorrect setting wouldn't prevent the thing from turning on at all, it just wouldn't make it all the way through post if it was set too high, and it would work fine but run the CPU slower if it was set too low.

I would first go over the thing with a magnifying glass and look for damage... especially around the mounting holes. Sometimes screwdriver nicks can be hard to see. Then take a multimeter to the pins of the power connector, see if any of the voltage lines have a dead short to ground. It's also possible there's an issue with the 'power good' line. I'd try tracing that out, and see what you find. Some boards have a jumper that switches it between 'signal detect from PSU' or 'signal detect from board', which could be one of the undocumented jumpers on yours... it'd usually be a three pin jumper somewhere near the power connector if your board has such a thing.

Reply 6 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Yes the PSU works fine, well and truly test that.
Yes that extra slot is for a memory card apparently; I don't have it but the documentation says that it's optional.
I'll check that the battery is connected correctly, I didn't realise some boards won't even boot without it. I've never seen a board that won't even beep at me.
I've tried opening and closing Jp8 with no difference, and infact I've toggled most of the undocumented jumpers just to see if I get any change.
If I still have no luck then I guess it's time to break out the multimeter...

thanks again!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't realise some boards won't even boot without it. I've never seen a board that won't even beep at me.

I've never seen a PC motherboard exhibit such behavior either, but I guess it's possible... I know some of my old 68k Macs are finicky like that.

Reply 8 of 17, by iulianv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've experienced something similar (PSU won't spin its fan, but would slightly buzz instead) with a 386 board after inserting the CPU wrongly oriented. It doesn't seem to be the case in this photo though...

Reply 9 of 17, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I didn't realise some boards won't even boot without it. I've never seen a board that won't even beep at me.

I've never seen a PC motherboard exhibit such behavior either, but I guess it's possible... I know some of my old 68k Macs are finicky like that.

I've seen this situation occur when the MB was grounding out.

Reply 10 of 17, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, but grounding out is a different problem entirely. What I meant was, I've never seen a PC motherboard that wouldn't boot as a direct result of a dead/missing clock battery. Many will throw an error about a low battery or incorrect clock settings or whatnot, but they'll still at least power on and make it through POST.

Reply 11 of 17, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an AMI Mark V Baby Screamer 386 board which would not turn on because it did not like the RAM for whatever reason. I swapped the RAM with another type and it worked fine. I noticed that you only have 4 modules inserted. Try filling all SIMMs with 1 MB pieces.

The PSU not fired up sounds to me like a short or ground issue. Perhaps this board is expecting a GND on one of the mounting holes. What happens if you put the board in a case?

I had an ATX PSU which did not turn on like this. I tried everything I could think of, including some silly ideas. For whatever reason, the board did not like one of the motherboard stand-offs. The stand-off was dead centre and had no visible possibility for a short. I even tried an insulative washer on the top. I ended up removing the stand-off and the PSU/motherboard fired right up. The symptoms never returned.

If you are testing the board in a case, try removing it. If you are testing the board out of a case, try putting it in one.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 17, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Yes, but grounding out is a different problem entirely. What I meant was, I've never seen a PC motherboard that wouldn't boot as a direct result of a dead/missing clock battery. Many will throw an error about a low battery or incorrect clock settings or whatnot, but they'll still at least power on and make it through POST.

I have. An Intel motherboard. At first i thought that it was a dead motherboard. When i replaced the battery it powered up just fine.

Reply 13 of 17, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience with 68k Macs and other odd pieces of hardware where the RTC battery can cause non-booting symptoms it's almost always due to the partially or totally dead battery being in-circuit and dragging the voltage down or something along those lines. With a good battery or no battery altogether the system boots up fine, but with a depleted battery in place it doesn't work.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 14 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the ideas but I've tried it in / out of different cases, with no RAM, with a full bank of different 1mb sims. With battery, without battery. Different CPU's. With cache, and without, etc. Still nothing - hasn't beeped once.

I deem it dead unfortunately, so onto my wall of lost hardware it goes (in the outdoor toilet).

Thanks again for the ideas though, I'll have to keep that grounding issue in mind in the future. I didn't realise this could be a problem - would that be poor design, or a fault? Shouldn't the GND wires in the PSU's motherboard wires deal with grounding the motherboard?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 16 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've spent enough time on this thing now. It's time to move on.

I have another ISA 486 board that I can use instead, the only downside being that it doesn't have a turbo button option. But then again I don't think I've ever really used the turbo button for anything constructive, and I can always turn the cache off.

Thanks again all for taking the time to reply.

Reply 17 of 17, by ThisOldTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Going to revive a dead thread because I'm just that kinda guy... right?

I swear I've hunted all over the web trying to solve the exact same issue on an Asus PVI-486SP3
Cleaned every contact, followed the traces I could... Damn I've looked at everything you can think of.

PS is definitely good. Vid cards I've tried are good, multiple CPUs, reseated/cleaned all cache & bios chips, new bios battery - the whole 9 yards.

After every test under the sun... BOOM!!!

A tantalum just sent my heart racing and blew clear off the board!!!
Guess I found the dead cap? Haha! Boy my heart's still going... that was loud!

Attachments

I rescue old PCs and keep them from being recycled... and preserve Dos/Win 3.11 Software on https://www.ThisOldTech.ca.
Current Machine: AST Advantage! Adventure 6066d Cyrix DX50, 32M, 500MB, Vibra16 + CD/Floppy