VOGONS

First post, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings,

I would like to ask the community a few questions concerning a 3dfx V2 card.

It is a standard Innovision reference V2 card with 12 Mb memory. It is defective.

img0435res.jpg

It produces the following symptoms:

- random freezing with Quake 2 engine games (sometimes producing few horizontal lines, sometimes just locks up)
- random BSOD (rare)

Now, the strange part is that it only dies when I try to use it in such games. I can play Unreal ALL DAY and not once will it produce crashes. Also, I can run 3dmark99 benchmark and it will run smoothly, no errors.

I think we may exclude driver problems. I have tried several drivers, and I also own another of this type and that works without errors. Fresh win98Se install. (it did produce the same errors in win xp) The card is clearly defective.

The board looks intact, I see no broken or bent legs or dead capacitors.

In quake 2 3dfx opengl uses something differently than Unreal or 3dmark? I would love to use the card in SLI but I can only run Unreal...very stange. I also tried installing 3dfx 1.46 3dfxopengl.dll into the directory..but it made no difference.

What do you think the problem might be?

Reply 1 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The symptoms would fit with a bad RAM chip... Both Quake II and Unreal take pretty full advantage of both TMUs, so that part must be working fine, but it's possible that there's some difference that causes Quake II to hit a bad spot in a memory chip where Unreal and 3DMark99 don't.

I don't know how you would go about thoroughly testing the memory on a Voodoo card though, aside from touching the chips to see if any get hotter than the rest...

Reply 3 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have problems with one of my Voodoo 2 cards as well (texture colors get all screwed up and random crashes). I had almost given up on the card until I tried it in SLI mode with the VGA cable connected to the other working Voodoo card. To my surprise that worked.

I don't know if you have tested the card in SLI or not, but if you haven't, give it a try, might circumvent the problem.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 13, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested the card in SLI mode. The results are the same. Sometimes I can even complete 1 or 2 benchmarks in Quake 2 before it crashes. I just don't understand how come Unreal plays fine? For hours???? Unreal uses glide doesn't it?

Edit: In connection with using two different cards in SLI I heard that if one card has 12 and the other has only 8 MB, the system will use 8 Mb on both cards and "disable" the rest.

Is it not possible to manuall disable 4 Mb of memory somehow? Maybe - if I'm lucky - the faulty one will be among the chips disabled....

Reply 5 of 13, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you (accidentally) overclocked your card? I came across some driver packages which set the clock to 95MHz and my Voodoo2 didn't like that at all. It wants 90MHz and not a MHz more.
There are some overclocking tools for the V2 as well as an environment variable for games using the glide interface. If the clock value is okay try lowering it below 90MHz.

Reply 6 of 13, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nope, it hasn't been overclocked. I have two of these cards. I installed the faulty one, removed it, and just plugged in the other card and it worked fine. Drivers are Voodoo 2 dx6.1 reference drivers.

Is there a difference between the API Unreal and Quake 2 use? Quake 2 = 3dfx Opengl, but how about Unreal?

Reply 8 of 13, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, that's what I thought. Sooooo....can it be that somehow the card can use native glide but cannot use opengl? Because all the games I tested the card with used Opengl: Heretic 2, Sin, Quake 2. All of these crash the card but not the system, I can ctrl+alt+del my way out and close the game....

Reply 9 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dhall wrote:

Edit: In connection with using two different cards in SLI I heard that if one card has 12 and the other has only 8 MB, the system will use 8 Mb on both cards and "disable" the rest.

Is it not possible to manuall disable 4 Mb of memory somehow? Maybe - if I'm lucky - the faulty one will be among the chips disabled....

If you use the Fastvoodoo 4.6 drivers you can connect a 12mb card with a 8mb one. Both cards will then run at 8mb.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 13, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You must be sticking to the official drivers, because FastVoodoo 4.6 comes with 4 different opengl drivers to try. For these you dont have to reinstall the whole driver, you just put the opengl32.dll into the game's directory.

Reply 11 of 13, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not having much luck here. Upgraded drivers to the latest dx7 reference ones. Then installed Mismatched SLI. The games still crash. It is either that hte faulty chip is in the first 8 MB used, or the mismatched SLI uses 12 Mb since these cards are not "mismatched", they are the same.

However..I'm worried about the beaver competition.

Reply 12 of 13, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are tons of environment variables which control how the Voodoo behaves. See here http://www.mdgx.com/3dfx.htm.
Maybe you can reduce the amount of memory by setting SSTV2_FBI_MEMSIZE and SSTV2_TMU_MEMSIZE.