VOGONS

Hardware that makes you drool - Your wish list

Topic actions

First post, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Exactly what the title says. What hardware do you dream of having?

For me... it's a toss between these:

Quantum3d Obsidian2 X-24

The consumer version of the Obsidian2 200SB.

quantum3dobsidianx24.jpg

3dfx Voodoo5 6000

No explanation required here 🤣.

voodoo56000.jpg

SimFusion 6000q or 6500

The 6000q is based on the ATI R300 (Radeon 9700) core while the 6500 is based on the ATI R350 (Radeon 9800). Two PCBs, two cores to each PCB.

If I ever get my hands on one of these, I'd pair it up with my MSI K8T Master2FAR board. The chances of that happening are extremely unlikely, but hey. I can dream.

simfusion1klein.jpg

simfusion2klein.jpg

simfusion3klein.jpg

Quantum3d AAlchemy 8164

Eight VSA-100 cores on a single board combined with 512mb of RAM.

aalchemy8164.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 2 of 62, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Voodoo 5 6000 (natch!) I think everyone wants these.

Quantum 3d Mercury w/Medusa board setup

NVidia GeForce 690 (granted this is new, but I still want one!)

Roland SCC-1 ISA card

EFI microprocessor controlled fuel system for my DeLorean - hey, it's old hardware

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 3 of 62, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking of the Obsidian2 X-24...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quantum-3D-Obsidian-3 … =item3a7abfcfa2

Only shipping to the US though. 😒

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC

Reply 4 of 62, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, that Quantum AAlchemy 8164, so it's effectively like two Voodoo5 6000s with a ton of RAM? Ho-lee-crap... Quantum had some seriously cool 3dfx-related hardware it seems.

Besides the V5 6000 that everybody wants, theres not a ton of super-rare stuff I want off the top of my head; rather, it's more stuff that's feasible but not right now for me.

That includes a complete IBM 5150 setup, with the original keyboard, the old monochrome IBM monitor, and maybe even that expansion base that had a hard drive in it. I just want this because it's the first PC, and that makes it such a cool piece of history in my opinion. I'd really like to have that as well as a 5160, and pair that with the CGA monitor, but maybe that'd be a bit excessive (pfft no way!)

ibm5150.jpg

I'd also eventually like to have the hardware configuration from each generation, if that makes sense. For example one of my PCs is an E8400 with 8800GT SLI; that was a really popular system when I built it. The Q6600 was another legendary chip, so I'd like to get one of those; I have plans to build a S939 system with the 3800x2, since that introduced a lot of people to dualcores, I'd like to get the legendary Celeron 300A, etc. Not particularly useful, but cool from a historic standpoint, so most of that (especially the newer stuff) would only be way in the future when I've got loads of money to blow.

Oh something else I'd drool over is a Roland MT-32 setup for my 486. Not that it's super expensive, but I can't really justify it now. Eventually...

This was a great thread idea btw 😁

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 5 of 62, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sheesh, a full Aalchemy system for the cost of a small, used car-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AALCHEMY-QUANTUM-3D-P … =item4abc4c2232

“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi

Reply 6 of 62, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hah that's exactly the price my truck and my Firebird each cost 🤣 And they've got 3 available?! Wow... we should pool our money to buy one for the forum and test it, for science. I'll just keep it here, at my place, for... safekeeping...

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 7 of 62, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also on my wish list would be an ASUS P65UP5 with the C-P6ND (Pentium Pro) and C-PKND (Slot-1) processor cards.

asusp65up5ppro.jpg

asusp65up5pii.jpg

Reply 8 of 62, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
m1919 wrote:
Also on my wish list would be an ASUS P65UP5 with the C-P6ND (Pentium Pro) and C-PKND (Slot-1) processor cards. […]
Show full quote

Also on my wish list would be an ASUS P65UP5 with the C-P6ND (Pentium Pro) and C-PKND (Slot-1) processor cards.

asusp65up5ppro.jpg

I have one of these, with the Socket 7 and 8 boards.

Reply 9 of 62, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

Sheesh, a full Aalchemy system for the cost of a small, used car-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AALCHEMY-QUANTUM-3D-P … =item4abc4c2232

Heh yeah. We bought an Acura CL for that price 🤣.

Reply 10 of 62, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried selling my p65up5 not too long ago on epay. I guess its time to try again? Only downside to it, it does NOT post with the 1mb cache chips. 256's & overdrives run fine. just not the 1mb chips. go figure.

But to stay on topic. I've been looking for a LONG time the p65up5's big brother, the p65up8. http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/asus/P65UP8.htm

I'm prepared to sell a kidney to get a working one. 🙁

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 62, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where do I start?

-Amiga 4000T with 68060 + PowerPC accelerator card
-Sharp X68000
-Fujitsu FM Towns
-IBM/Sega Teradrive (has a nice buckling-spring keyboard to go with it, too!)

-Aureal SQ3500 Turbo (isn't this really an SQ2500 with a DSP daughterboard?)
-AWE32 with ASP/CSP and genuine OPL3
-Roland MT-32 or derivative LA synth
-Gravis Ultrasound PnP

-Forte VFX-1 VR Headgear (complete with the needed ISA card and a graphics card with a compatible VESA feature connector)

-Immersive Holo3DGraph II capture card (15 KHz RGB support and low-latency image processing courtesy of a Faroudja chip!)

And if we're getting into more modern stuff...

-whatever passes for a top-of-the-line computer at the moment

-Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheater HD (That HDMI output may come in handy if I ever got my hands on a Smyth Realiser A8.)
-Onkyo SE-300PCIE

-Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog
-Simped F-16 rudder pedals
-NaturalPoint TrackIR 5

-this capture card (This thread explains why. Has a nice, modern PCI-Express interface and HDMI input, but lacks the hardware processing of the Holo3DGraph cards.)

Reply 12 of 62, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CapnCrunch53 wrote:

That includes a complete IBM 5150 setup, with the original keyboard, the old monochrome IBM monitor, and maybe even that expansion base that had a hard drive in it. I just want this because it's the first PC, and that makes it such a cool piece of history in my opinion. I'd really like to have that as well as a 5160, and pair that with the CGA monitor, but maybe that'd be a bit excessive (pfft no way!)

that would be awesome - personally I'd probably go for a fully tricked out 5160, original IBM documentation and all. Though machines of this era have virtually ceased to exist around these parts, so at this point I'd take almost anything from the XT generation, even a nameless Taiwanese clone.

though I'd definitely like an IBM monitor for it - whether MDA, CGA or EGA... those 5151/3/4's were seriously some of the most awesome looking CRTs that the '80s had to offer.

Just look at this thing... cute as a button or what!

201103261741414d8e17450230c.jpg

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 13 of 62, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a very long time my wish list was topped by the Creative 3DO Blaster. Luckily, last year, that dream became a reality.

Next on my list was/is a Quantum3D Obsidian 100SB-4440v. Quantum's insane Voodoo1 SLI board with 22MB of RAM...but whenever one shows up, I get outbid pretty soon 😉

Now all I want is an 8MB Voodoo1 card for my P55C retro rig. Either a Skywell Magic 3D Plus or a Quantum3D Obsidian 50-4220. But even those are hard to find.

::42::

Reply 14 of 62, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mystery, why not go for an Obsidian 50-4440? 😉

My 'drool' wishlist includes the following;

3dfx Rampage
3dfx Voodoo5 6000
3dfx Voodoo4-2 (Daytona's)

Gigapixel GP1 & GP2
Oak Technology Warp5
BitBoys Oy cards
Real3D cards
PowerVR Kyro3

3DO Blaster

And some stuff that's mentioned here if they exist; http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=787836

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 15 of 62, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got myself a boxed Voodoo 4 4500 PCI, something that I have wanted for a while.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.php? … =image&id=t4rh3
http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.php? … =image&id=io4oo

Obviously a Voodoo 5 6000 would be really nice 😀

The IBM 5160 does look cool. I would also like an SGI Octane and a few other sgi workstations. I've got an Indy and o2.

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/irix,sgi/Interesting

Here is a good image:
all_sgi.jpg

Reply 17 of 62, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vobis Highscreen 386DX-33 or 40 the desktop version.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 62, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

-MSI Master 266 board (dual PIII-S, up to 4GB of DDR, AGP 4X). I occasionally see them on eBay, but $150-200 is far more than I'm willing to pay.

-An XFX GeForce 7950GT AGP for the Master 266.

-The ultimate BX system: P3-S at 1.58GHz/150FSB, 1GB of CL2 SDRAM, GeForce FX 5950 Ultra at 100MHz AGP (effectively AGP 3x), SB Audigy, GigE, 98SE/XP/7 triple boot, and a floppy drive.

-1GHz Orion Athlon

-I have no clue if such a board exists, but I'd love to play with an overclockable desktop board based on the i830 mobile chipset.

-A maxed out PowerMac G5 with two dual-core 2.5GHz processors, 16GB of DDR2, and a Radeon 5870. I have absolutely no interest in the Intel Macs or any of the G4 and earlier machines, but a completely maxed out G5 would be downright cool.

Reply 19 of 62, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About the Obsidian X-24, I had heard this performs more slowly than a pair of separate Voodoo 2 cards. Is that true? I've got two 12MB BlackMagic cards running in SLI, I sold a spare third one on ebay recently. (I figured it was redundant to have, albeit a good collector's item, so I don't think I'll bid on it at the moment as I'm strapped for extra cash.) I also read there were overheating issues, but Quantum3d had their own special drivers for that card.

@Standard Def Steve, I don't have a 5950, but I do have the 5900 XT AGP card! 😀 I love that thing.