VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a generic reference V1 off of ebay, and seperately got a passthrough cable for it from another seller. Everything arrived, I plugged it into my p200 DOS only box, and everything is kinda yellowish green. A couple games have weird text or missing items, such as blood not having any actual numbers or anything within the boxes for the hud. Could it be a bad cable, or is the card itself borked in some way?

I've never owned a 3dfx card of any kind, so this is my first experience with them.

Reply 1 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try connecting the montior cable directly to the Voodoo card after starting the game up. Then you take the passthrough cable out of the equation

Last edited by vetz on 2012-10-16, 15:24. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Er...I don't think I have any games that actually can use a voodoo card...I may have to wait till I find something to use to do that kind of test.

Reply 3 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have Windows installed? If not, don't you own a single DOS Glide games listed here? Try downloading a demo then, tomb raider 3dfx demo is available on Cnet: http://download.cnet.com/Tomb-Raider-3Dfx-dem … 4-10005641.html

Reply 4 of 9, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like a defective connector and/or loop cable.

Since you mentioned Blood not showing any numbers, my guess would be a broken connection/wire on the "red" pin. Blood's HP display is red on black, and if there's no red color, there's nothing to display.

Try testing the loop cable as vetz mentioned. Get a 3DFX game demo somewhere and see if the picture is okay. If it is, it's the loop cable.
If it's not, it might be the VGA connector on the voodoo or something on the card itself.

::42::

Reply 5 of 9, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright, it's the cable.

Downloaded the TR demo. Got the spinning 3dfx logo, but the demo just kinda hangs at the menu screen with the three spinning icon thingies just continually spinning, no control whatsoever, but it was enough to do my tests.

I plugged the passthrough back into the GX2 card, rebooted, ran blood, and all looked good but it was kind of losing the red signal. I jiggled the cable a bit and it came back. Still kinda flickers, but at least I got it working. Thanks!

Reply 6 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

demo just kinda hangs at the menu screen with the three spinning icon thingies just continually spinning, no control whatsoever, but it was enough to do my tests.

Good thing you got it working. Do you have a digital joystick connected? Tomb Raider has a bug that will do that to the main menu if it's in digital mode. To fix it either disconnect the joystick or set it to analog mode.

Reply 8 of 9, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

By the way, you can easily replace the passthrough cable with a short VGA extension cable.
That is, unless you've got a card like the Miro Highscore which doesn't have a VGA-IN and uses a different connector and cable.

::42::

Reply 9 of 9, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Yep, that was the spinning.

Now if only I can figure out why this damn thing hangs when I do DIRs, I'll be golden.

something is wrong between the motherboard and hard drive. Maybe even the drive itself.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.