VOGONS

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the main difference between Gravis Ultrasound MAX versions?

I have GUS MAX 2.1
But ive seen many other versions with different layout and more components on them.
Which is the best MAX version and Gravis Ultra sound card?

Reply 1 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

which gus is the most worthy for collection, classic, max or pnp?
classic: the first one in the series.
max: slight upgrade of the classic, and probably the longest one in the series.
pnp: the newer version with better performance but also simplified layout, similar to awe64gold compared with the loooooooooooooong awe32.

Reply 2 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PNP is also based on different hardware to the original GUS and GUS MAX - rather than the Gravis GF1 chip it uses the AMD Interwave. This may or may not mean worse compatibility than the original designs.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the GUS PnP is a different hardware compared to the GF1 based GUSes. The AMD Interwave can emulate a GF1 in hardware, which is 95% compatible.
The main problem with the PnP is software. There is only very few software out there that uses a GUS PnP natively. For games the GUS PnP runs as GUS classic, just the minor difference that is has always 44.1 kHz output. In Win you usually have a gain when using the GUS with MIDI. Then it gets thin, xtcplay and some trackers support the GUS PnP nativley, but even the implementation in Cubic Player is buggy. So the card was released way too late. I am not sure if the configureable effects can also be applied when the card is used as GUS classic in a game.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A ha, so GUS MAX is just an upgraded/fixed version? Cool.

So when it comes to my card, its the best when it comes to sound quality (out of Classic and MAX versioins)? Ive recorded some midi off of it a while ago, and it sounds pretty unbelievable.

What im really searching for is more info on the card it self, what can i expect out of it, some recommendation on where to test/use it.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still MIDI is also just emulated on a GUS.
You better go for tracker files, f.e. Fasttracker 2 format (*.xm). And use a player like
xtc-play, cubic player or Capamod.

and then of course Demos.

Maybe you tell also a bit about the system where you want to use the GUS...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 6, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh i see, i have lots of XM files, i love chiptune.

At first i used it in a Dell Optiplex GX1 with windows 98SE and DOS.
But now i am building a 486 system for DOS games and thats where i want to put it in. Its functional in its current state, but tis far away from what i want.

In it I currently have:
Chicony CH-471B
AMD DX2 66MHz
8MB RAM
Trident 9000B (the 9440TGUI is broken, strange symbols and crazy stuff on-screen)
Maxtor 800MB with some German DOS. (i need to set it to English).
357 floppy and sony 48x CD rom.
Also 200W Highscreen PSU.

And various sound cards.

Also if some one is interested, this is what TGUI9440 displayed when i turned the PC on ( after i did some moving from socket to socket and other things ) :

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54462712/YOLO/IMG_2058.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54462712/YOLO/IMG_2059.JPG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/54462712/YOLO/IMG_2061.JPG

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"