VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm usually happy to let the BIOS determine it's optimal config, but in my 486 (using a OPTI 495SLC, AMI BIOS) I've taken to playing around with the 'advanced chipset' setup to eliminate some flickering on an ISA ET4000AX VGA card.

I've used this site as a guide...

https://student.brighton.ac.uk/burks/pcinfo/h … _sg/bios_sg.htm

...and determined that increasing the CLK setting from CLK/4 to CLK/5 fixes the issue. Doing this, from what I understand, basically slows down the CPU's access to the ISA bus, and this is reflected in my 3dbench scores which drop about 3 points (from 20 to 17).

The flickering isn't chronic - more like a mouse cursor flashing occasionally in Ultima 7 for example - but this machine isn't built for speed so I'm happy to take a small hit if it improves the image quality a bit.

But my questions is - does messing around with this setting impact anything else? I don't want to risk damaging anything.

And out of interest do you guys generally feel the need to mess around with BIOS settings in this era machine, or do you just leave it up to the BIOS to determine wait states, etc?

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a AM5x86 w/ M919 clocked at 160MHz, setting memory read/write wait states to 0 makes Quake performance go up quite much, going from 8fps up to 12fps in the START map timerefresh. It risks the inability to soft reset, tho, so I only set it back to 2 if i'm doing something very restarty (installing Windows or its drivers)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and determined that increasing the CLK setting from CLK/4 to CLK/5

Which motherboard are you refering to? If it is a 486DLC-era board, I've seen it where the clock divider option in the BIOS is refering to dividing the oscillator clock rather than the CPU clock. For example, if you are running a 486DLC-40, the oscillator is 80 MHz. To get 8 MHz on the ISA bus, I'd need to use 1/10. On these systems, I beleive it is the CPU which divides the 80 MHz in half because when I probed the CLK pin to the CPU socket, it still indicated 80 MHz on the scope.

Whatever your case is, you'd want to run the ISA clock at 8 MHz, or 10 MHz if you are feeling lucky. What bus speed are you running? 33 or 40 MHz? What is the motherboard's oscillator speed and is the CPU using any multipliers?[/quote]

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.