ESD !!!

Topic actions

First post, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😳 ESD

Hi Guys,

I seem to be reading more and more that you guys are dealing with several problems after some installing and moving hardware around like chipset or SCSI or CPU.
That it is all acting weird after some time or after moving around that it has got me thinking of how many of you people on the forum are really knowing what an ESD is.

I can explain of course, but i would like to know first who knows what it is and what to do to deal with it, in order to protect your hardware that is no longer manufactured or hardly replaceable.

Since this type of hardware is more to be fiddled around with than any new pc hardware will be, since the new ones are just build and used.

I'd like to know if you are aware of the dangers that you are putting your hardware up with when you trying something new, hardware change wise.
And what you do to prevent.

Thx all,

Reply 2 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just touch the PC case (with the Power connected) to ground myself. Never had an issue.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 14, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know most people dont use any protection, but this can cause a problem sooner or later.
Even when do not feel it, you can get it.

Touching the case when grounded is ok, but you need to stay in contact and unplug the power cord.

And why does everyone know that it is a problem to remove ram or cpu for instance while it is running but touching components with bare hands on contacts and all is ok, and these are only using low voltage supplies.

Reply 5 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I leave the power cord in (but power off obviously) as this grounds the chassis.

I try to practice good anti-ESD procedures when I can. I try to regularly touch the metal chassis before handling components and store components in anti-ESD bags. I always put components down on hard surfaces, preferably on top of an anti-ESD bag - never on carpet or a towel like I see so many people do when photographing their equipment!

Since I live in a coastal area the humidity is usually moderate to high which helps reduce the risk of ESD.

But yes, people need to be more aware of the risks of ESD with hard to replace equipment. It rarely kills components outright, it usually manifests months down the track, as parts start to become flaky or unstable. I wouldn't go as far as to reccommend everyone wear a wrist strap but just some basic precautions can go a long way.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 7 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I always cringe when I see a video reviewer grab a $1000 video card and not care about were they are holding it. I always try to grab it at the edge or something were there are no electrical circuits!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 14, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I highly doubt such a high static charge can build up so it damages anything just from touching something with your hand.
Unless of course you are either very hairy, wearing static inducing clothing or in an environment where such thing is highly possible.

Lets face it, old stuff, for example CPUs simply cant die that way, i once overcharged the socket for an AMD K6 by 0.5V more (incorrectly) and it still worked flawlessly.

But thinking of it as i wrote this post it really depends on the environment more than just following a statistic about it.
It would be nice if a person had a clean room and equipment to handle such things, heck it would even be fun to do it, but >90% dont. So i guess this thread could be composed in a way to hint the reader on how to properly care of his/hers hardware.

I my self, as i wrote earlier, haven't had any case of notable static discharge, except when i got electrocuted from a hair dryer 🤣, and am in an environment with low possibility of static discharge.
What i do is i place components into anti static bags and handle them with such materials, when i remove my GPU for cleaning i place it onto such material (bag). Also i do the cleaning on a wood or rubber surface.

Ive also seen those things that you wrap around your wrist and ground it/your self, if you ask me, too much caring.

Reply 9 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not a big problem unless you are wearing synthetic fiber clothing such as nylon and on a carpet that doesn't have anti static properties. Back in the 1930s dust bowl there are some extreme examples of ESD. A single storm generated enough static electricity to short radios and cars and caused blue flames to erupt from barbed wire fences. It was so strong it even knocked full grown men off their feet if they accidentally touched or shook hands. People would drag chains in order to offset the static electricity. On Black Tuesday, enough static electricity was produced to power New York City.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 10 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this sums it up rather well: http://electrostatics.net/ESD_Guide/technical … sensitivity.htm

Especially:

Many modern components are protected by on-chip protection circuits, without which they would be extremely sensitive.

In old ICs (<1980) this protection is not implemented due to limited transistor count / chip size.
Still if you follow some basic rules for static discharge prevention it is usually no problem today.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 14, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:
I leave the power cord in (but power off obviously) as this grounds the chassis. […]
Show full quote

I leave the power cord in (but power off obviously) as this grounds the chassis.

I try to practice good anti-ESD procedures when I can. I try to regularly touch the metal chassis before handling components and store components in anti-ESD bags. I always put components down on hard surfaces, preferably on top of an anti-ESD bag - never on carpet or a towel like I see so many people do when photographing their equipment!

Since I live in a coastal area the humidity is usually moderate to high which helps reduce the risk of ESD.

But yes, people need to be more aware of the risks of ESD with hard to replace equipment. It rarely kills components outright, it usually manifests months down the track, as parts start to become flaky or unstable. I wouldn't go as far as to reccommend everyone wear a wrist strap but just some basic precautions can go a long way.

^ This pretty much sums what i do also.

Near my workbench, where i do repairs, consol mods etc, There is a naked copper pipe used in the heating system. I regularly touch it to remove charge while working. I also have no carpet and dont wear slippers. I dont think i ever had anything fail from ESD really, but its hard to tell.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 12 of 14, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once killed a 486 motherboard when putting it together on shag carpet. 😀

Serial ports are quite sensitive to static. I've seen a few of them die.

That's all I've ever had problems with.

Reply 13 of 14, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:
I know most people dont use any protection, but this can cause a problem sooner or later. Even when do not feel it, you can get […]
Show full quote

I know most people dont use any protection, but this can cause a problem sooner or later.
Even when do not feel it, you can get it.

Touching the case when grounded is ok, but you need to stay in contact and unplug the power cord.

And why does everyone know that it is a problem to remove ram or cpu for instance while it is running but touching components with bare hands on contacts and all is ok, and these are only using low voltage supplies.

Touching contacts is BAD you finger oils will cause problems. This is why sand down the ram contacts with fresh printer paper when i have machines with no boot or interment boot.

EDIT: Yeah modern hardware has safety/protection that old school hardware didn't. Old school components are built like tanks though.

Reply 14 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Kinda what the other said. I touch components only by the edges and always touch a large surface of metal before touching any computer component.
It's not always a grounded metal surface though, but sometimes that's unavoidable.

Sometimes I do wear a wriststrap, but not as often as I used to.

swaaye wrote:

I once killed a 486 motherboard when putting it together on shag carpet. 😀

Serial ports are quite sensitive to static. I've seen a few of them die.

That's all I've ever had problems with.

That's funny, as I suspect the serial port on my 486 seems to have died after I moved it. It was however all inside a closed case though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!