VOGONS

Modern graphics on a 486

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 371, by tyuper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

feipoa,
I have problem with running the ELSA Synergy II-32 (Riva TNT2) in DTK PKM-0033S. The card won't display anything, but motherboard is working fine (I hear POST OK beep, HDD loading OS etc.) When I put ISA VGA to check TNT2's logical presence on PCI bus with DOS tool (PCI.EXE V2.2 by PCD Systems Engineering), then it states that card is detected and it properly gives configuration registers. And there's one difference in registers I have noticed when the card was in 440BX motherboard: it is PCI bus master, while on PKM-0033S it doesn't.

And there's my question: could you share modfied BIOS, so I could check if this is right direction to get TNT2 working in PKM-0033S?

Reply 141 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have modified the Zida Tomato 4DPS BIOS v1.72f to work with the DTK PKM-0033S board. The mod alters the PCI IRQ routing table on the 4DPS BIOS to match that of the PKM board's. If you leave the standard 4DPS routing table in the BIOS and use it on the DTK board, the BIOS cannot seem to assign any IRQ to the PCI cards. I also removed the Funworld logo and replaced it with the standard AWARD EPA logo.

This mod allows you to use 64 MB SIMMs, but only up to 3x64MB. It also allows for the use of more modern graphics cards. You will not be able to use the 4th PCI slot. The mod fixes the 8 GB HDD size limitation, however the PKM-0033S uses some extra IC for the HDD component, whereas the 4DPS BIOS uses the SiS496/497 chipset-based IDE controller. If I recall correctly, you don't really want to mess much with the IDE CMOS options because they don't control the IDE system on the PKM-0033S. I do recall that the IDE on the PKM-0033S still works after the 4DPS BIOS mod, however, the PKM's onboard IDE is slower than most other 486 board's. I highly recommend using a PCI HDD host controller.

I have attached the BIOS.

Attachments

• Filename
    pkm-4dps.zip
    File size
    80.07 KiB
    Downloads
    76 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 143 of 371, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I have modified the Zida Tomato 4DPS BIOS v1.72f to work with the DTK PKM-0033S board. The mod alters the PCI IRQ routing table on the 4DPS BIOS to match that of the PKM board's. If you leave the standard 4DPS routing table in the BIOS and use it on the DTK board, the BIOS cannot seem to assign any IRQ to the PCI cards. I also removed the Funworld logo and replaced it with the standard AWARD EPA logo.

This mod allows you to use 64 MB SIMMs, but only up to 3x64MB. It also allows for the use of more modern graphics cards. You will not be able to use the 4th PCI slot. The mod fixes the 8 GB HDD size limitation, however the PKM-0033S uses some extra IC for the HDD component, whereas the 4DPS BIOS uses the SiS496/497 chipset-based IDE controller. If I recall correctly, you don't really want to mess much with the IDE CMOS options because they don't control the IDE system on the PKM-0033S. I do recall that the IDE on the PKM-0033S still works after the 4DPS BIOS mod, however, the PKM's onboard IDE is slower than most other 486 board's. I highly recommend using a PCI HDD host controller.

I have attached the BIOS.

I salute you sir!

Reply 144 of 371, by D.Tape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I miss the Creative S3 Savage-4 32MB PCI in the list of cards working under an UMC chip.

I am the happy owner of a Biostar MB-8433UUD and my Creative S3 Savage-4 works properly under Windows Milenium (and under older Windows too). I have to say that I've never played any 3D game and don't know anything about benchmarks or possible issues, but I normally played DVD films (with a RealMagic Hollywood Mpeg-2 decoder) and some .mpg videos and never had any problem.

Nowadays my 486 is not working because the Dallas chip is died, so I can't offer any benchmark with the S3 Savage graphic card till I resolve this inconvenience.

I can say that I've tried with an ATI Radeon 9200 PCI 128MB and the system didn't boot up. Black screen.

Greetings!

Edit: I've found this benchmark of CrystalMark. It was realised with the S3 Savage-4 32MB, Am5x86-P75@160Mhz and 256MB EDO RAM 50ns, but I don't remember the latency configuration, sorry. The system was hot overclocked for getting the PCI bus in 40Mhz.

OaOP6UR.jpg

And this is the same test with 133Mhz

ZREZv2N.jpg

Reply 145 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice to know that there are more modern cards than the Matrox G200, Voodoo2, and Rage128 which will work on UMC8881-based motherboards. You should desolder your RTC and put in a DIP socket, then replace the RTC. It would be good to run GLQuake with that Savage card.

Keep in mind, though, that running 256 MB of RAM on a board which only supports 256 KB cache is not optimal because most of the RAM in use in Windows is not being cached.

Reply 146 of 371, by D.Tape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Nice to know that there are more modern cards than the Matrox G200, Voodoo2, and Rage128 which will work on UMC8881-based motherboards. You should desolder your RTC and put in a DIP socket, then replace the RTC. It would be good to run GLQuake with that Savage card.

Keep in mind, though, that running 256 MB of RAM on a board which only supports 256 KB cache is not optimal because most of the RAM in use in Windows is not being cached.

Yes, I know, but I prefer 256MB for disable the swap file in Windows. When 128 or 64MB are installed I need to enable the swap file and it is slooooower than 256MB RAM without cache benefits.

I'm sorry for my english.

Reply 147 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Enabling the swap file is very slow? What hard drive controller are you using? I hope not the onboard PIO-based one? A PCI SCSI or UDMA controller should be fine.

If you are using 256 MB with only 256 KB cache in WB mode, I would think that any swap gain would be easily lost by not being able to use the cache in Windows. None-the-less, I have read that some people with more RAM than they can cache, like to create a RAM drive and use that as the SWAP file.

If you have 256 KB in WT mode, then the cacheable limit is 64 MB. With the remaining 192 MB of RAM, create a RAM drive and set the SWAP file in there. Of course, you can also modify the motherboard to accept 1024 KB cache.

Reply 148 of 371, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

PNY GeForce2 MX400 64MB
Win95c
NVIDIA Detonator v12.41 for Am5x86, however I was unable to get Direct3D working (e.g. Outlaws, MDK). OpenGL works with the Am5x86 with v12.41, however Direct3D games will require a POD. NVIDIA Detonator v77.72 for POD.

How did You get opengl working? Does it require some special actions, or should it run from the start? I have problems running Open GL on same card [different manufacturer], tried older drivers, tried newer drivers [d3d works fine on 45.23 BTW]. Weird thing is that the "Additiona Properties..." button in the driver window doesn't work - clicked like hundred times - no effect. Tried many different games - same result: glide2x expected voodoo...

Specs: Am5x86@133, MB-8433UUD, 64MB RAM, Windows 95 [usb]

PS. I actually manage to start Direct 3D Quake on 12.41 - I'am aware that the patch is unnofficial, but it works [pics attached]. Unfortunetly it works slow, and it took 15 minutes of black screen to actually start the game.

Patch is here: http://www.falconfly.de/patches-quake.htm

Attachments

• qd3d2.jpg
    Filename
    qd3d2.jpg
    File size
    114.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • qd3d1.jpg
    Filename
    qd3d1.jpg
    File size
    136.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 149 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the driver revision I recommended for the GF2 on a 486?

Also, I think there was a GLQuake update file which needed to be installed.

Reply 150 of 371, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
opiate wrote:

How did You get opengl working? Does it require some special actions, or should it run from the start? I have problems running Open GL on same card [different manufacturer], tried older drivers, tried newer drivers [d3d works fine on 45.23 BTW]. Weird thing is that the "Additiona Properties..." button in the driver window doesn't work - clicked like hundred times - no effect. Tried many different games - same result: glide2x expected voodoo...

i had similar problem with my riva128 driver but guess how it was solved: install ie5.5!

Reply 151 of 371, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Are you using the driver revision I recommended for the GF2 on a 486?

Also, I think there was a GLQuake update file which needed to be installed.

Yep. I'm using 12.41, tried newer and older too - no go. Just installed Win 98 - GL still doesn't work for me, but the "Additiona Properties" button works now, doesn't help much, nothing to change there that could help my case.

Tried every GL Quake patch there is - GL simply doesn't work, my favorite test game for GL is Tomb Raider, there is small "~5MB" demo, perfect for quick test - it either works with glide or it start in software mode. Tried many games, none works with GL.

Error attached.

noshutdown wrote:

i had similar problem with my riva128 driver but guess how it was solved: install ie5.5!

Install IE 5.5 you say... yea sure, and then You gonna say "haha... made you install internet explorer" 😀 Since i'm kinda desperate... tried that... doesn't work. That actually isn't as crazy as it sounds - ie5.5 install contains some multimedia dll's

Attachments

• error1.jpg
    Filename
    error1.jpg
    File size
    93.68 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 152 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I am using Win95c with IE 5.5 installed. Not sure if IE 5.5 is required or not.

To confirm - you first installed WinQuake? Then GLQuake 0.97? I think you also have to remove the glide dll file from the Quake folder, or something like that.

Also, I sorta recall having to goof around with the resolutions and driver revisions before it worked. This was some time ago, so memory is foggy. But once it was working, it worked everytime.

Once you've tried and confirmed all of this, try installing the POD just to ensure that everything works. Your issue might be due to some driver file revision or API which is looking for a Pentium.

Reply 153 of 371, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

To confirm - you first installed WinQuake? Then GLQuake 0.97? I think you also have to remove the glide dll file from the Quake folder, or something like that.

hmm, weird - after deleting file from quake dir with opengl32 in the name - GL started to work 😐 there is just one problem - after running timedemo demo1 benchmark i only have 21 FPS. That is noticeably lower than Your score (maybe it's 586@133 fault).

Additional notes:

- game is very dark, and in-game brightness option doesn't work
- initial detonator used: 06.31 (GL works), after update to 12.41 GL Quake works too
- other games still don't work
- is IE5.5 requied is still a mystery - i do have 5.5 installed at this point

Conclusion - correct me if i'm wrong - GF2 may not be the best solution for 486 mobo. It only runs one game better, and other just won't fly on it. It's just hard to call it 'overkill' when it does not work. Quake software renderer on this card have almost the same benchmark score as S3 Virge with far less RAM (4 vs 64).

Reply 154 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am pretty sure for all non-3dfx cards, you must delete opengl32.dll from the Quake folder to use GLQuake.

21 fps is probably about right at 133 MHz. Try 160 MHz.

Reply 155 of 371, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

21 fps is probably about right at 133 MHz. Try 160 MHz.

My am5x86 won't go past 133, tried 160, black screen after first reboot.

Can You sugest other good 1 slot PCI card with Opengl/Direct3D? I have only one slot empty, and S3 alone [without acceleration] is just too weak. I see from Your first post that voodoo3 won't work on my mobo [8433uud].

Reply 156 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For D3D, Matrox G200 or ATI Rage128 VR. I prefer the Matrox.
For OpenGL, I think it is best to go with Glide - Voodoo2.

Reply 157 of 371, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

For D3D, Matrox G200 or ATI Rage128 VR. I prefer the Matrox.
For OpenGL, I think it is best to go with Glide - Voodoo2.

Is there any good solution for 1 slot opengl? Voodoo2 = 2 slots (gfx + accelerator)

Reply 158 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most people don't care about OpenGL or Direct3D on a 486. I used to be like you and insisted on a single graphic card solution for UM8881 motherboards, but gave in. Matrox G200 for D3D and Voodoo2 for Glide. If you are looking for a single card for this board, then the GF2 is the way to go. 21 fps in GLQuake on an Am5x86-133 is considered very fast.

Otherwise, you need a SiS496-based motherboard to use the Voodoo3.

Why do you want to save the PCI slot on the UM8881 motherboard? I used to have SCSI, NIC, and graphics taking up the PCI slots. When I switched to the Matrox G200+Voodoo2 combo, I found an ISA-based 100 mbit NIC card, which performs somewhere between a 10mbit ISA card and a 100 mbit PCI card.

Reply 159 of 371, by opiate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Most people don't care about OpenGL or Direct3D on a 486. I used to be like you and insisted on a single graphic card solution for UM8881 motherboards, but gave in. Matrox G200 for D3D and Voodoo2 for Glide. If you are looking for a single card for this board, then the GF2 is the way to go. 21 fps in GLQuake on an Am5x86-133 is considered very fast.

Otherwise, you need a SiS496-based motherboard to use the Voodoo3.

Why do you want to save the PCI slot on the UM8881 motherboard? I used to have SCSI, NIC, and graphics taking up the PCI slots. When I switched to the Matrox G200+Voodoo2 combo, I found an ISA-based 100 mbit NIC card, which performs somewhere between a 10mbit ISA card and a 100 mbit PCI card.

So there are 3 pci slots: one in my config is for usb, one for sata hdd controller and only one spot left... I really need that usb card in, fully aware about performance loss. I would stay with the GF2 - if - it was working, since it is only working in software renderer there is no point in using it instead of S3 with the same benchmark result with software renderer.