Reply 220 of 371, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
D.Tape wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:19:
Hi! […]
Show full quote
Qbcd wrote on 2020-06-12, 07:12:

I'm still skeptical, I can't find evidence of anyone using a 486 or POD with a card that has a full MPEG-2 decoder, actually installing drivers successfully and playing DVDs, maybe I'm the only one who's ever wanted to do that 🤣.

Hi!

Hello. Sorry, I know I'm late, but I got to play DVD smoothly on my 486. This machine doesn't work now because of the f*ck*ng Dallas, it doesn't save the BIOS values so can't boot from hard disk.

The configuration is:

- AMD 5x85-P75@160Mhz (it does little stops at 133Mhz when playing DVD)
- 256MB RAM Kingston, 4x64MB 60ns
- 256KB L2 cache
- Biostar MB-8433UUD-A Ver.2 motherboard
- Creative Blaster S3 Savage-4 32MB PCI
- Mpeg-2 RealMagic Hollywood Plus DVD Playback Card PCI
- Creative Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold 4MB ISA
- USB 2.0 Adaptec AUA-5100B PCI
- ISA Lan 10Mbps NE2000
- Samsung SFD-321B Rev.S1 floppy drive 3'5" 1'44MB
- 4'3GB + 2'1GB HDDs
- CD-RW 24x10x40
- DVD 16x LG

thats awesome 😁

as for the dallas, have you thought about doing the battery mod? i'm a newbie with soldering and managed to get it working first time.

Reply 221 of 371, by D.Tape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-03-04, 07:27:
D.Tape wrote on 2021-02-16, 02:19:
Hi! […]
Show full quote
Qbcd wrote on 2020-06-12, 07:12:

I'm still skeptical, I can't find evidence of anyone using a 486 or POD with a card that has a full MPEG-2 decoder, actually installing drivers successfully and playing DVDs, maybe I'm the only one who's ever wanted to do that 🤣.

Hi!

Hello. Sorry, I know I'm late, but I got to play DVD smoothly on my 486. This machine doesn't work now because of the f*ck*ng Dallas, it doesn't save the BIOS values so can't boot from hard disk.

The configuration is:

- AMD 5x85-P75@160Mhz (it does little stops at 133Mhz when playing DVD)
- 256MB RAM Kingston, 4x64MB 60ns
- 256KB L2 cache
- Biostar MB-8433UUD-A Ver.2 motherboard
- Creative Blaster S3 Savage-4 32MB PCI
- Mpeg-2 RealMagic Hollywood Plus DVD Playback Card PCI
- Creative Sound Blaster AWE 64 Gold 4MB ISA
- USB 2.0 Adaptec AUA-5100B PCI
- ISA Lan 10Mbps NE2000
- Samsung SFD-321B Rev.S1 floppy drive 3'5" 1'44MB
- 4'3GB + 2'1GB HDDs
- CD-RW 24x10x40
- DVD 16x LG

thats awesome 😁

as for the dallas, have you thought about doing the battery mod? i'm a newbie with soldering and managed to get it working first time.

I'd like to do the Dallas mod, but it's closed to an ISA slot and I feel it hard.

Tzt5Zrqh.jpg?1

Reply 222 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is infact the PCI slot which is in the way for the mod, however even if the PCI slot wasn't in the way, it would be pretty difficult to cut a 1.5 mm wide gouge into the side. You best desolder the Dallas and install a DIP socket. What confuses me is that datecode on the Dallas is from 2004, which implies it has been replaced by someone at some point. Seems odd that this someone didn't solder in a socket. The good news is that this someone hopefully used lead-based solder and it may be fairly easy to suck the solder out. I have found that the original solder on the Dallas on this board in particular is quite stubborn to remove. It is also curious that the AWARD sticker is removed from the EEPROM.

In the meantime, if you want to be able to boot the board prior to fixing the Dallas, you can use a DOS program called modbin to set all the BIOS settings you want as default, then save the file and write it to the EEPROM. This assumes you have an EEPROM writer or are willing to hot flash the BIOS in another motherboard. With all the correct default settings saved for your particular configuration, you should be able to boot.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 223 of 371, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a Detonator driver that gives comparable Ditect3D performance for an MX400 that a Voodoo2 might have on a POD/UMC combo?

I’ve got a PNY MX400 posting and booting into Windows with an AMD 5x86. I can get GLQuake to run but no Direct3D as feipoa mentioned in this thread. GLQuake score was 26.5 no sound.

Switching over to a POD things get unstable. I can run Turok but the frame rate is quite miserable, in the low teens. Was only able to run one GLQuake demo and scored lower than the AMD at 25.5fps. Other attempts see GLQuake freezing with some graphic artifacts.

Both these results were on 12.41. I tried 77.72 Final on the POD but can’t boot into Windows. Not expecting miracles 🤣, just curious of anyone has tried.

Reply 224 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Things get unstable with POD at what freq? If you are trying to run it at 100 MHz, try bringing it down to 83 MHz. If you are already at 83 MHz, set your SRAM/DRAM settings to conservative settings and try again. If already conservative, try Nvidia driver v45.

Reply 226 of 371, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2021-08-21, 23:12:

Things get unstable with POD at what freq? If you are trying to run it at 100 MHz, try bringing it down to 83 MHz. If you are already at 83 MHz, set your SRAM/DRAM settings to conservative settings and try again. If already conservative, try Nvidia driver v45.

At 100 or 83, I’m lucky to get into DOS now. Somehow it works much better with the AMD 5x86, boots right into Windows 98 no problem but still freezes in GLQuake. This is on an 8433UUD-3.1. Maybe this GPU needs a recap.

Reply 227 of 371, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If anyone sees me posting that I've found my 486 PCI board and got it running, yell "Hey BitWrangler, how about trying one of them PCI GF6200s in that? Or your 9400 PCI, or your PCI Radeon, and failing any of that, at least a PCI Rage 128." ..... the 9400GT would be the most ideal of course...... for the PhysX support 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 228 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Chadti99, does the POD work well with a more basic graphics card, e.g. a trio64 or virge? I don't know what issues you are having with the GF2 and the POD because I didn't have any issues.

Bit Wrangler, which motherboard are you referring to? Yes, I would like to see all those graphics cards tested. Do you have a non-Mac, non-Pro, non-VR PCI Range 128? If so, what does it look like?

Reply 229 of 371, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Think it's a M919 ver 3ish, I am certain of UMC chipset, PCI slots, onboard i/o, fake cache onboard, cache upgrade slot, but I'm not 100% sure on whether it had a VLB or I just wished I had the version that did. Got a feeling it's way back under stuff in a desktop case. Will check on the Rage in the morning.

Edit: I had minor flood of Rage cards come in at once, I am wondering if I confused the Rage Pro Turbo AIW PCI with a 128... but also I had some elsewhere I gotta check.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 230 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-22, 02:09:

Think it's a M919 ver 3ish, I am certain of UMC chipset, PCI slots, onboard i/o, fake cache onboard, cache upgrade slot, but I'm not 100% sure on whether it had a VLB or I just wished I had the version that did. Got a feeling it's way back under stuff in a desktop case. Will check on the Rage in the morning.

I think v3.2 had the fake pipeline burst cache chips. Those were really funny. I had one of those but tossed it back in the day because I found it too tacky. I wish I'd have kept it now for the historical value.

Reply 231 of 371, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The vlb interface of m919 is slower than the pci one.
In general all pci/vlb/isa mobos based on the um888something chipset do better with pci, while sis based hybrid boards do better with vlb.

Biostar UUD handles pod100 well - fast and stable.
Had perf numbers shared somewhere, I think.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 232 of 371, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2021-08-22, 07:42:

Biostar UUD handles pod100 well - fast and stable.
Had perf numbers shared somewhere, I think.

Agreed, my POD runs stable across multiple socket 3 boards, it’s when I combine it with the MX400 that I start experiencing system hangs. even right after memory test. I’ll test the MX400 on my slot 1 machine next to be sure it’s functioning properly.

Below is a pic of me trying to start the dosbench quake demo and immediately the system freezes with video corruption.

Attachments

Last edited by Chadti99 on 2021-08-22, 09:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 234 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Huh, that's curious. Can you try the Voodoo3 on your LS486? Usually a Voodoo3 will boot on most SiS based socket 3 boards.

Reply 235 of 371, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2021-08-22, 11:11:

Huh, that's curious. Can you try the Voodoo3 on your LS486? Usually a Voodoo3 will boot on most SiS based socket 3 boards.

Yes the Voodoo3 board runs quite well on the my LS486!

Also just discovered in Direct3D you can choose resolutions lower than 512 with the Voodoo3, this might open up a few more games to be playable on socket3/486/SiS with a voodoo.

Reply 236 of 371, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah you know what, no 128 PCI to be found and that was something I was thinking I had picked up in the last few years, so shouldn't be buried, must have confused the Rage Pro AIW with one. However the Radeon PCI has gone AWOL, rather more sure I had that, as I had 3 Radeon 7x00 class cards and I'm only seeing 2 AGPs right now. It's possible that that had a rage theater chip on it, and I thought that was a 128 PCI in glancing at it somewhere else. i.e. it was somewhere out of context from the other R100s... Anyway that's gotta be off partying with the V3 AGPs I can't find or something.

pshipkov wrote on 2021-08-22, 07:42:

The vlb interface of m919 is slower than the pci one.
In general all pci/vlb/isa mobos based on the um888something chipset do better with pci, while sis based hybrid boards do better with vlb.

I only cared about the VLB on it in a brief window, just before XP was released, when anything that could run W98 was still useful if you could get 64Mb in it, and apps didn't NEED several hundreds or thousands of cycles. At that point I had only one or two weak 1MB PCI cards, and a couple of 2MB VLB cards that ran rings round them. Well built GL5429s vs poorly implemented 9440 or something I think, might have had a Gl5430 PCI that was very disappointing considering I had some great 5428s and 9s and a 5434 ISA that I have not seen beaten (Orchid Kelvin 64) ... Though I must have found something "alright" as I remember initially having to configure my P5 Pentium with the Orchid, due to lack of other options, but the Orchid is loose and the P5 is together (Complete system) I think in a stack, so maybe has a Trio or something in it now. Don't remember what I was doing with that M919 board/system though, maybe it's the one I had the POD in last (also yet to turn up) and whether it ended up with a VLB or PCI VGA... Due to only finding one 5429 so far I rather suspect another two to be installed in things, but that's to be found out eventually.

Reply 237 of 371, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-08-22, 11:16:

Also just discovered in Direct3D you can choose resolutions lower than 512 with the Voodoo3, this might open up a few more games to be playable on socket3/486/SiS with a voodoo.

When running glide games, for example, I haven't seen much change in frame rate when pushing higher or lower resolution. Is the same not true for Direct3D when using other 3D accelerated cards?

Reply 238 of 371, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2021-08-22, 21:55:
Chadti99 wrote on 2021-08-22, 11:16:

When running glide games, for example, I haven't seen much change in frame rate when pushing higher or lower resolution. Is the same not true for Direct3D when using other 3D accelerated cards?

I need to build some solid stats, but MotoRacer for example appears to run a bit smoother at the lower 320 resolutions on my Voodoo3 and Rendition Verite 2100 on socket 3.

Reply 239 of 371, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to get a Voodoo 4500 working on a LS486 Rev D. It wouldn’t post on Rev C2. GLQuake is working but seeing some weirdness with Direct3D. The DXdiag tool for instance throws an illegal operation and MotoRacer loses video shortly after starting. DirectX 7 is currently installed.

*I think the Direct3D weirdness is a power supply issue, as long as I don’t have a CD in my drive Direct3D games are running fine now.

Attachments

Last edited by Chadti99 on 2021-11-15, 02:42. Edited 1 time in total.