VOGONS

486 IDE controller performance

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What does that EDO DRAM read speed option do? That was hidden before wasn't it?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 21 of 25, by numeriK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you guys using UNIFLASH to flash the 8433 bios?

I may have to give this rom a shot, looks promising!

8433UUD v2 | AMD 5x86 @ 180MHz (60MHz x 3, 30MHz PCI) | 64MB EDO | TNT 16MB PCI | SB AWE64 ISA | Win98SE

Reply 22 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I started with a stand-alone programmer; It worked. Then I tried AWARD Flash Memory Writer v5.0; It worked. Lastly, I tried UNIFLASH v1.40; It also worked.

So for my BIOS, UUD2012B is working well.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

What does that EDO DRAM read speed option do? That was hidden before wasn't it?

I'm not sure. Yes, it was hidden before. I'm hoping that it increases the EDO RAM speed when EDO RAM is installed. Default is 4-2-2-2, but there is the option for 3-1-1-1. I'll eventually get to testing this. Maybe someone else with an MB-8433UUD would like to test this out?

I also unhid some BIOS Features, added Load BIOS Defaults, and set Setup Defaults to what they should be (in my opinion).

I looked into the BIOS Cyrix 5x86 register settings a little bit more. It seems like the most important performance registers were omitted in the UUD8433 BIOS (PCR0 and CCR4), so the only way to add these to the BIOS are to edit the BIOS with a HEX editor. I'm going to pass on that since the Cyrix 5x86 drivers seem to work fine.

Reply 24 of 25, by numeriK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a hard time getting both UNIFLASH and AWDFLASH to run in DOS... I hear it begin to load, then just stops, cursor blinking on the screen.

Anyone experience this before? I can't see why these programs are refusing to load.

I'm trying DOS 6.22 and pressing CTRL during Win98 boot (DOS 7.1)... neither are working... I'm stumped.

8433UUD v2 | AMD 5x86 @ 180MHz (60MHz x 3, 30MHz PCI) | 64MB EDO | TNT 16MB PCI | SB AWE64 ISA | Win98SE

Reply 25 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does your motherboard have an EEPROM or an EPROM? Can you send a photo of your BIOS without the stick on it?