VOGONS

First post, by [GPUT]Carsten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I came across this Chaintech ct-5SRA2 for cheap and since there's a working mod-BIOS available for using even mobile K6-III+, I thought this could be my mainstay for all Socket-7-needs.

Now I am not sure but I am under the impression that ALi chipsets very not the most compatible ones. A quick search on Vogons did not really bear much fruit - 5SRA2 did not yield a single hit and ALi M1541 mostly referred to ALi in general with many threads about 386/486-gen boards. Does any of you have experience (good or bad) with this puppy or at least this chipset? Cacheable area (should be 256 MiB), AGP/PCI performance and the like?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well you are using a K6-3+ so the cacheable limit won't be of any concern as it is much higher than the board can support, same for any K6-2+ and original K6-3 due to the integrated L2 cache. You will also have a few extra options such as being able to change the multiplier with in dos along with the usual cache tricks to emulate 486 level performance without slowdown utility.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 5, by [GPUT]Carsten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Right cacheable area should be no prob for CPUs with L2 cache, but what if I need to use other CPUs - like original Pentiums for compatibility reasons with certain applications? (Just a theoretical question, don't ask for any specific examples just yet. 😀)

Reply 3 of 5, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

most ali5 boards with 512k onboard cache can only cache 128mb of ram(except the late rev.G/H which can cache 512mb), but that should not have much effect on performance, because ali chipsets have very fast memory performance which is almost as fast as onboard cache, and thats why the later ali7 chipset(last chipset for socket7) didn't have any onboard cache at all.

Reply 4 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
[GPUT]Carsten wrote:

Right cacheable area should be no prob for CPUs with L2 cache, but what if I need to use other CPUs - like original Pentiums for compatibility reasons with certain applications? (Just a theoretical question, don't ask for any specific examples just yet. 😀)

For Dos you won't need much at all and will be well within the cacheable limits. The reason why people tend to favor using an 133mhz P1 ect and use the cache tricks is mainly due to compatibility as some of the classic isa cards tend to have issues with midi if the cpu is clocked to high. For Win9x a K6-3 is more than enough for most except for the later games that will need a P3. Anyway I am glad that I have so many socket 7 boards to last me for years.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.