VOGONS

First post, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am thinking about getting this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180953137946?ssPage … 984.m1438.l2649

Does anyone know if it is worth while and if it's any good in terms of graphical power, as ISA cards go that is (hardware accelerated?). Also is the support any good for games? And is it easy to get drivers for these nowerdays?

Sorry for all the questions I recently got a new 486 setup but it's all ISA only and the cards in it currently are not very good TBH.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 2 of 23, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a VLB card, if you have only ISA slots, invest in something else.

From my personal experience, Video card is seldom bottlenecking a 486 so you may not get very noticeable gains by upgrading it, unless yours is currently a very crappy one.
Im far from Video card expert though, if you tell us what card you currently have in what system, im sure other members will be able to counsel you much more specifically.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 3 of 23, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah sorry yes I have VESA I just assumed it was a variation of ISA. The motherboard I had is a very unusual one its the same as this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonnett/455596555/

And a thread that featured about this mobo I noticed here: 486 PC prices...

I'l see and pull the cards out tomorrow and let you know what it is but I can tell you it is a VERY simple one and it is un-expanded in terms of memory with all it's DIP RAM slots empty. Il also try and get some pictures up.

Last edited by tokyoracer on 2012-11-15, 00:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, I would go for a Mach32 or Mach64 with 2mb or 4mb of memory, but you usually can't find them cheap and when you do you have to jump on them right away before someone else does.

Reply 6 of 23, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Personally, I would go for a Mach32 or Mach64 with 2mb or 4mb of memory, but you usually can't find them cheap and when you do you have to jump on them right away before someone else does.

That is why I am stuck with a crappy Trident card 😢

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 23, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Well there are some alright Trident cards and best of all they are proably the most compatible since it was very mainstream. 😀

I did find this though: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-10232010401-MAC … =item4d06ecc1cf

4Mb would be really cool but does anyone know if this is 16 or 32 bit? Is it worth the cost? 😒

Reply 8 of 23, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would go for it, 2mb would allow you to run 1024x768 in 16 bit colour, extra memory does'nt give you better performance only more resolution and bit depth.

Its reasonably priced (IMO)

Reply 9 of 23, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks ok to me, the cirrus logic chipset isn't the fastest but is very compatible and looks pretty good in my experience.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 23, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tokyoracer wrote:
Well there are some alright Trident cards and best of all they are proably the most compatible since it was very mainstream. :) […]
Show full quote
nforce4max wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Well there are some alright Trident cards and best of all they are proably the most compatible since it was very mainstream. 😀

I did find this though: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATI-10232010401-MAC … =item4d06ecc1cf

4Mb would be really cool but does anyone know if this is 16 or 32 bit? Is it worth the cost? 😒

That looks like a good price for that card but unfortunately the seller is not shipping outside the UK. Even if you did manage to convince them to ship it the price would likely rise dramatically.

Reply 11 of 23, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys. Before I buy it, i'd just like to know how easy is it to get software and install it for these old ATi's? I can tell I have a basic unexpanded Cirrus Logic card now.

Here's some pr0n pics:

20121115_142827-1.jpg

20121115_143213.jpg

20121115_143335.jpg

20121115_143828-1.jpg

20121115_142407-1.jpg

Sorry if they're a bit big.

Reply 12 of 23, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you considered upgrading the memory on that card of yours? That memory look like EDO so maybe a dead scrap card that has the right memory could work but you would need to add the sockets.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 13 of 23, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nforce4max wrote:

Have you considered upgrading the memory on that card of yours? That memory look like EDO so maybe a dead scrap card that has the right memory could work but you would need to add the sockets.

To be honest I havn't looked. I thought it was DIP RAM and I often find any form of RAM that is upgraded by chips separately usually an expensive affair.

Hence why an ATi Mach64 card seems the most logical choice as I assume it would still be more powerful then the Cirrus Logic and could work out cheaper in the long run anyway. I ain't too fussed about screen res aslong as it has atleast 640x480 or at best 800x600.

This is unless there's no way to get drivers for the ATi card anymore and the support for it is poor even for mainstream games.

Reply 15 of 23, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not really clear on why you need to upgrade from the Cirrus card you have now... it's not the best card you can get, but it should be good enough for just about anything you'd be doing on a 486.

Reply 16 of 23, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tokyoracer wrote:
[text] http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss235/Solvalu/20121115_142827-1.jpg [text] […]
Show full quote

[text]
20121115_142827-1.jpg
[text]

I recommend that you remove the blue barrel battery because they WILL leak and kill the motherboard.

Reply 17 of 23, by Hatta

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the marketplace forum on vintage-computer.com. Actually, I'll just link it here.

The Diamond(S3 Trio64) card he has is the same one I have, and it's fantastic. Very compatible and very fast. Unless you're going to hold out for a Tseng or Ark card, and pay ~$100 for it, I don't think you can do much better.

I don't know about ISA and DOS, but I found that my PCI Trio64 card was faster than my PCI Mach64 in 3dmark 99. I don't know if that's due to the chipset itself being faster, or just having a better Windows driver. The S3 card is probably more compatible in DOS.

I have a similar Cirrus Logic card (mine's a 5426 though) to yours too, but I haven't tested it yet. That's on my to do list for this weekend.

Reply 18 of 23, by tokyoracer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dirkmirk wrote:

Are you using windows 95 or 98? Windows will have the drivers built in/on the disc.

It's currently on 95, not sure if to put 3.11 on it instead.

memsys wrote:

I recommend that you remove the blue barrel battery because they WILL leak and kill the motherboard.

I had planned to don't worry it's fine at the moment but when I got time I will remove it A.S.A.P. 😀

Hatta wrote:
Check the marketplace forum on vintage-computer.com. Actually, I'll just link it here. […]
Show full quote

Check the marketplace forum on vintage-computer.com. Actually, I'll just link it here.

The Diamond(S3 Trio64) card he has is the same one I have, and it's fantastic. Very compatible and very fast. Unless you're going to hold out for a Tseng or Ark card, and pay ~$100 for it, I don't think you can do much better.

I don't know about ISA and DOS, but I found that my PCI Trio64 card was faster than my PCI Mach64 in 3dmark 99. I don't know if that's due to the chipset itself being faster, or just having a better Windows driver. The S3 card is probably more compatible in DOS.

I have a similar Cirrus Logic card (mine's a 5426 though) to yours too, but I haven't tested it yet. That's on my to do list for this weekend.

Thanks for the link I signed up and will be checking it out. 😀

Can you still source the S3 drivers for Windows 95 today?

Last edited by tokyoracer on 2012-11-16, 05:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 23, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cirrus aren't that bad... I have one with 2MB and IDE controller. Never used it... Skipped VLB and went PCI for the 486 motherboard.

Here is the card:

2uqjedz.jpg