VOGONS

First post, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear All,

The time has come to get to some testing, but i need 16MB on my G200 PCI.
I have some spare SDRAM form onboard G200's from Slot1 machines that i can use.
But i like to get the G200 piggybacked instead of using the expansion memory card to utilize 16mb ram. since i cannot get the extension easily.
The soldering is no sweat to me. no problems i got the skills needed.

Are there some guys here that have any experience in doing this.
Do i have to guide the CS signal to some adress line and what type.

All piggybacking guru's please let me hear you, so i can start on modding the card to 16MB.

BTW is 16MB the max a G200 can use?

Thanks,

Reply 1 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The memory module you are looking for is located here,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330830065941
You'll need to convince the seller to ship USPS First-Class Mail to Europe, otherwise you get royally raped on the shipping fees. If I lived in the US, I'd be willing to buy it and reship it to you, but as it is, he wants $23.25 to ship this to Canada, when it would cost $1.5 with first-class mail.

I have not piggybacked DRAM like this before. You'd want to measure the pinouts on the expansion card to see what goes where, if any extra traces are sent to the GPU, and the purpose of all the caps on the expansion module. If I were you, I'd work on obtaining the module from the above link.

I've heard that there also exist eBay re-shipping services (for-profit companies) for buyers outside the USA. I haven't looked into this myself, but I now at least one member here has done this. Obviously, this service isn't a charity, so they charge some percentage.

I'm not sure what is the maximum RAM amount that would function on this card. I know the G200 came in a 32 MB for the MMS G200 (multiple monitor series), but I believe 8 MB was dedicated to each of the 4 VGA ports though.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 7, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i already talked to the guy and he wasnt able to do letter mail for cheap.
he offered 20 for small package incl insurance.
how much is sending from us to netherlands letter mail without insurance.

i think i do not like to pay more for a insured shipping than the total object is worth.
i got like 30 to spare at the moment and it is going for me buying a 3850agp first for 25 euro.

why is everything only available in the us? i wish i could find some from china with free shipping, after all it is only 8mb sdram

Reply 3 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can estimate standard airmail shipping on usps.com for European destinations. I suspect it costs $2 to ship.

Any US-based member want to act as a package relay for this eBay purchase? The merit of this good deed goes towards the Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison, whereby all data collection is nearly finished, pending Janoz's work with the P60/66).

Reply 4 of 7, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have send him a mail, i hope to have convinced him to use usps service, that is so much cheaper. 😀
we'll see how it turns out.

btw what type hdd and controller do you prefer? i have ultra133 tx2 with a lct10 10gb. or do i need scsi for benching?

Reply 5 of 7, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JaNoZ wrote:

i have send him a mail, i hope to have convinced him to use usps service, that is so much cheaper. :-)
we'll see how it turns out.

btw what type hdd and controller do you prefer? i have ultra133 tx2 with a lct10 10gb. or do i need scsi for benching?

Some variety of Promise Ultra 100 or 133.

Reply 6 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Back I was a seller on eBay I did sell to people outside the US and shipping to Western Europe was no more expensive than shipping to people in my own state but eastern europe was outright expensive. Italy and the UK they're cheap to ship to so these people who charge outrages rates are doing so to make a larger profit but it does come with risks if the buyer is a scammer. I eventually left eBay altogether.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 7, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have several times asked US ebay sellers to look for the cheapest option (USPS First Mail), and though usually they will agree, the exact price will still vary depending on the box size. If only they'd send small stuff inside a paper envelope like HK guys do 😜

Btw, why would you need the 16MB memory? Is there something that can't be done with less?