VOGONS

DOS Quake under 98SE

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was asking myself why this game runs badly when started from Windows, e.g. it stutters every second and you can't select any resolution beyond 800x600. There's no hint in the readme that it shouldn't be ran from Windows as well. And I know there's WinQuake, but it's a curious problem nonetheless

Reply 1 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tried Quake in windows 98 and DOS:
- No stutters on either OS.
- The resolution is indeed limited under windows, and I suspect it is because the game does not allocate more then 8MB of RAM under Windows 98.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

in that case, you can add -winmem 16 or 24 to the parameters, which will also add resolutions beyond 800x600 (provided you have the VBE to back that up).

Quake was intended to support being run under Windows. Theres's even a batch file to start Quake using the Mpath TCP-IP driver in Windows.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
d1stortion wrote on 2012-12-10, 18:14:

Maybe so, but it simply doesn't do this under DOS, works fine there. My best guess would be some kind of incompatibility issue between 98 SE and this game...

Did you manage to solve this problem under Windows 98? I also encountered this, and in order for Quake to work normally at least under DOS on newer motherboards with PCI-E connectors, it required pre-configuring MTRR (mtrrlfbe lfb wc). Without this, Quake did not run smoothly even under DOS (Frame synchronization did not work). Also, in order for the image to be smooth and fully synchronized in high resolutions, it was necessary to set the screen refresh rate to 72Hz, using UniRefresh. All Quake 1.06 settings are set by default (In the latest official version 1.08, everything is exactly the same).

If all this is not done , the picture was twitchy. After setting the MTRR and screen refresh rate, the game works almost perfectly under DOS via a VGA connection.

But in Windows 98, with the same settings, the picture is still synchronized (and if you move the mouse it is noticeable), but when moving forward about once a second, some kind of jerk occurs. With the same settings. And this happens only under Windows and only in Quake (other games don't have this). We have not yet been able to find out the exact cause of this phenomenon (We will need to double-check it on a completely clean system, without additional drivers and devices).

leileilol wrote on 2012-12-10, 00:46:

DOS Quake never had any speed throttling 😀
can always compensate with a higher res, try vid_wait 1 or 2 or maybe even use a new dos quake port (which there's only two of).

vid_wait "1" - turned out to be completely unsuitable, as it makes the image twitchy (As if frame synchronization is disabled), although it removes this jerk once a second under Windows. But with vid_wait "2 "(the default value), it works smoothly under DOS (With MTRR enabled and a set frequency of 72hz, in high resolutions). I would like to do the same under Windows 98 (So as not to reboot once again in DOS).