VOGONS

Voodoo Graphics SLi?

Topic actions

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was reading the entry for Voodoo 2 in Wikipedia and it says that the original Voodoo Graphics was also capable of SLi but only arcade boards and boards designed for 3D simulators were capable of being used this way. I just wondered if anyone has ever come across a pair of these cards and used them in Sli in a PC?

Reply 1 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quantum3D made a few Voodoo1 SLI products.
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_obsidian.htm

I got a 100SB off of eBay about 10 years ago for $30 and messed with it. Performed kind of like a Voodoo2.

Reply 2 of 31, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My P2 Win98 system has a Voodoo 2 board that has a SLI connector. What I researched (at that time - Late 90's??) was that you had to have identical boards (not only both Voodoo 1/2/etc..., but same manufacturer and model.) The tech I spoke with then, said that it was extremely touchy getting it to work. Also, in many cases the board pairs in question pretty much had to have specific SLI cables, it seems that different manufacturers used different connector setups. After a while, I just gave up and decided to buy a bigger 3D card.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 3 of 31, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Feeding Dragon, that the v2 can be put into SLI is known and there are enough proofs of it. Sliderider asked about the original Voodoo...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 31, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Quantum3D made a few Voodoo1 SLI products.
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/q3d_obsidian.htm

I got a 100SB off of eBay about 10 years ago for $30 and messed with it. Performed kind of like a Voodoo2.

wow it even has an SLI cable, a nice one at that modern sli/cfx cables are kind of bulk with plugs at the end.

Reply 6 of 31, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Feeding Dragon, that the v2 can be put into SLI is known and there are enough proofs of it. Sliderider asked about the original Voodoo...

Sorry, I guess I was just tired. I read Voodoo 2 and SLI and just made a connection. Don't know anything about Voodoo 1, never did any work/research with it. Just Voodoo 2 really.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 7 of 31, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

V1 SLI. Now *that's* pretty cool...

I'm gonna be an @$$ and ask the obvious: why? Everything that was meant to run only on V1 will run perfectly, really perfectly, with any V1. Anything that can be run on V2/3/4/5 will run much better on a V2/3/4/5 😀

It could be an item to have just to make a 3dfx collection complete, but I do not see any particular use for it.

Reply 11 of 31, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Yeah it is really just collectable curiosity.

I disagree! It must have been the bee's knees back in the day - I didn't even know about it. 8mb of 3dfx video ram SLI when the serious games were chugging? are you kidding me? haha! A curiosity now for sure but the real mavens would have *jumped* on it!

Reply 12 of 31, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also SLI didn't just double the RAM, it also set up Dual GPU access. Not quite as fast as getting a processor at twice the speed I'm told, but close. If the 3Dfx chip was the best at the time, then, at that time you would have had almost double the best 😀

On a related subject... I know the V2 deffinately could be SLI but what about 3/4/5?? I never looked into those.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 14 of 31, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Some of them have 4MB framebuffer so I imagine 8x6 is a go. Maybe even 1024x768?

Nope, 4mb just gives you 800x600x16 DB

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:4T … wUtm2Rm9BquaFpg

Reply 17 of 31, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:
swaaye wrote:

I disagree! It must have been the bee's knees back in the day - I didn't even know about it. 8mb of 3dfx video ram SLI when the serious games were chugging? are you kidding me? haha! A curiosity now for sure but the real mavens would have *jumped* on it!

Please name one "serious game" made explicitly for voodoo 1 (e.g. does not work on V2/3/4/5) that was chugging on vanilla, no-name, made in PRC (China), voodoo 1. 😊

Reply 18 of 31, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
tincup wrote:
swaaye wrote:

Please name one "serious game" made explicitly for voodoo 1 (e.g. does not work on V2/3/4/5) that was chugging on vanilla, no-name, made in PRC (China), voodoo 1. 😊

Grand Prix Legends. Released for 3dfx and Rendition. Most people who first played it in 3D would have done so on a Voodoo 1. GPL was the 'driving' force behind most of my CPU/GPU/Ram upgrades at that time.

Edit: Hind too. The 3dfx version didn't really come into it's own until Voodoo 2 SLI, with decent FPS at 1024 res. Basically, "serious" means high-end driving and air combat simulations to me..

Reply 19 of 31, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's true that a Voodoo1 6MB has advantages with some games because it won't run out of texture memory like the 4MB cards do. But still, the 4MB texture memory of the 6MB cards is not much storage for later games. It's the same amount as a 12MB Voodoo2 has. You really want to go to a Voodoo3 instead of even Voodoo2 SLI. SLI doesn't increase texture storage.