VOGONS

Need info on AL486 rev1 mobo and opinion for 2 other 486 vlb mobos

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!!

I was gifted 3 486 VLB motherboards 😊 and I've been searching to find which is best to make a vlb machine 😊
I would appreciate any comments/info , especially on the AL486 mobo that I can't find anything conclusive...

#1 is the "mystery" board, the AL486 rev.1.0 with ALI M1429G-A1 + M1431-A2 chipset... I like this the best because of the 72pin simm sockets... I have no idea about cache size atm, the jumpers don't have any silkscreening info at all.

th_IMG01373-20130110-1121.jpg th_IMG01374-20130110-1121.jpg th_IMG01376-20130110-1121.jpg

#2 is a Vi11 motherboard , it's exactly this one HERE , it seems it has 256kb cache installed
th_IMG01367-20130110-1119.jpg

#3 is the FX-3000 mobo that is actually an ECS US 3486 , seems to be the oldest mobo and because of the single VLB slot TBH

th_IMG01378-20130110-1130.jpg

Thanks in advance for any info, the main plan is to built a 486DX2 machine with a VLB I/O controller and a VLB 5428 vga. 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 6, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please tell me you mean this controller (upper right corner) 😀 http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii564/Rac … LB/P1010319.jpg

By the way, you'll be surprised by how easy it is to swap mobos to find out which works best. If I were you, I'd take a series of dos benchmarks, including speedsys, hwinfo and maybe kspeed to determine what is best for you.

Reply 2 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, no, I mean 2 different vlb cards, nothing special 😀
I would love to benchmark them all , but for the AL486 I do not have any info on jumper settings or any info of what cpu was used with it so I can use the same since the jumpers are set...
I am also asking for opinions because someone here might have tested the same mobo and found it crap, no point wasting time 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried to find out about your AL486 board, but for some reasons th99 isn't working for me right now (the images aren't loading). My guess is that the AL part in the name stands for the chipset (which is Ali), but without pics to see, it'll be hard to find out which board you have.

And about the cache, a good guess is that it has 256KB in total on the board. Will your mystery board POST?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ haven't tried to power it up yet Tetrium from fear it has some cpu config that won't work with a 486DX2/66 I have for testing and the result is fireworks 😁 but come to think of it, all those 486 cpus are 5v and I don't need to worry about core/io voltages right? so worst case scenario is that it won't boot? If it powers up then the BIOS string will be of huge help I guess...

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have decided to try my luck with the VI11 1.1 mobo , the AL486 one gave no usable bios string , it has a "green" phoenix bios (seems pretty new and different from the usual award ones, haven't seen it before tbh) and it has a broken pcu retention rod... also I believe the ALI chipset will be hard to work with UMB drivers.

Reply 6 of 6, by Mithloraite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

#3 is the FX-3000 mobo that is actually an ECS US 3486 , seems to be the oldest mobo and because of the single VLB slot TBH

Sorry I didn't see it earlier, congratulations! This FX-3000 model has a cult following... or maybe a bunch of users shocked with bugs.. @_@
In any case you are lucky it has the VLB slot in place. I've seen some 7 of these - and they didn't have this slot soldered.

What is interesting, beside the stason.org/TH-99 overview, this board has a beautifully scanned manual. Enjoy it..
http://www.datasheets.pl/motherboards/MOTHERB … ARD_US_3486.pdf

Might I ask if this VLB is really VLB? Good question... Since the manual states it's an MCA(!) slot.

Perfection is the key. Fatality is the key. (c)