VOGONS

Calling 440BX (and LX) users...

Topic actions

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How many users with 440BX/LX (or even ZX) based boards are successfully running Geforce cards with no issues? I'd like to know the make/model of the motherboard and graphics cards please 😀.

I'm asking as it appears early AGP 1.0 slots are lmited to just 2A on the 3.3V rail, while AGP 2.0 compliant slots can provide upto 6A on the 3.3V rail (amongst the other rails)... I think this is why most (or all?) Geforce cards state an AGP 2.0 compliant slot as part of the system requirements (AGP 2.0 can still run at 2x and 3.3V). From what i can gather, it seems early Intel 440LX/BX/ZX chipsets have weak AGP slots when it comes to power output 🙁.

Seems my idea of geting a GF2 Ultra or GF3 Ti200 is becoming a bad one 😒.

Reply 4 of 62, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used to run an Asus FX5200 on a Dell T550, which uses a custom Intel SE440BX board. It ran just fine, even when overclocked via Coolbits. Its DOS performance wasn't great, so I replaced it with a PCI Radeon 9250.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 5 of 62, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

My Soyo 6BA+III runs my GF2MX just fine.

Weird, my soyo 6BA+ III could run a GF2MX in Win2K without drivers (Standard vga adapter) but once i install the nvidia driver win2k refuses to boot, although i haven't tested in Win98SE

Soyo 6BA+
Geforce 4 MX4000 64MB (win98se, with 61.76 driver)

Soyo 6BA+ III
Geforce 4 MX4000 64MB (win2k with 61.76 driver) (the same card as above)
XFX Geforce 4 MX 440-SE 64MB (win2k with 61.76 driver)
MSI Geforce 4 Ti4200 64MB (win2k with 45.23 driver)
eVGA GeForce 6200 512MB DDR2 AGP(win2k with 81.98 driver)

Soyo 6BA+ IV
XFX Geforce 4 MX 440-SE(win2k with 61.76 driver)

2611708.png

Reply 6 of 62, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might have seen my thread here:

Progress Thread - Building a Retro Gaming Time Machine - YouTube Video

I ran into issues with my Gigabyte 440BX board and Geforce 4 MX and Geforce FX5200. What happened was that in 3dMark2000, the machine would lockup. Sometimes with garbled stuff on the screen, sometimes it would have a black screen, sometimes it would reboot.

A Radeon 7000 completed the benchmark just fine.

The Geforce cards also worked fine on another mainboard (new chipset though).

Later revisions of my Gigabyte board have a jumper for Voodoo 3 AGP cards and mention power draw. I guess that's what they are talking about.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 62, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I ran a GeForce 6200 on a Dell Precision Workstation 410 motherboard (440BX) for more than 2 years without any issues. I also plunked in a 6600 and the XP drivers installed fine, however I did not run it for long with the 6600.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 10 of 62, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ASUS P2B-F 440BX. Had OC them wet, but unstable 😐

And the Korean TriGem DreamSys LN625 440LX motherboard (forgoten the series number)

Reply 11 of 62, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the replys guys! I think a couple of those boards are slightly later 440BX based boards (133fsb) which probably have better power circuitry for the AGP slot.

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
You might have seen my thread here: […]
Show full quote

You might have seen my thread here:

Progress Thread - Building a Retro Gaming Time Machine - YouTube Video

I ran into issues with my Gigabyte 440BX board and Geforce 4 MX and Geforce FX5200. What happened was that in 3dMark2000, the machine would lockup. Sometimes with garbled stuff on the screen, sometimes it would have a black screen, sometimes it would reboot.

A Radeon 7000 completed the benchmark just fine.

The Geforce cards also worked fine on another mainboard (new chipset though).

Later revisions of my Gigabyte board have a jumper for Voodoo 3 AGP cards and mention power draw. I guess that's what they are talking about.

I think that's a prime example of the power limitations when it comes to early AGP 1.0 slots... Many people mention lockups when running anything 3D or anything else that stressses the graphics chip, and some don't boot at all. A GF2 MX runs fine with my Intel SE440BX-2, but the image quality puts me off using it. The Voodoo3 switch thing is strange though as that card shouldn't require much power at all (runs perfectly with my 440BX board).

Nvidia state that the GF2 GTS only draws 8W of power compared to 16W for the orignal Geforce 256 DDR!! I'm pretty sure a GF4 MX will probably draw more power than the older GF2 GTS (and MX).

Does anyone have any idea how much power a GF2 Ultra or even a GF3 Ti200 will draw? I wonder how they compare to the FX5200 in terms of power draw?

Reply 12 of 62, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:

How many users with 440BX/LX (or even ZX) based boards are successfully running Geforce cards with no issues? I'd like to know the make/model of the motherboard and graphics cards please 😀.

I'm asking as it appears early AGP 1.0 slots are lmited to just 2A on the 3.3V rail, while AGP 2.0 compliant slots can provide upto 6A on the 3.3V rail (amongst the other rails)... I think this is why most (or all?) Geforce cards state an AGP 2.0 compliant slot as part of the system requirements (AGP 2.0 can still run at 2x and 3.3V). From what i can gather, it seems early Intel 440LX/BX/ZX chipsets have weak AGP slots when it comes to power output 🙁.

Try using a GeForce 6200 in a PCI slot.

Reply 13 of 62, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Try using a GeForce 6200 in a PCI slot.

Good idea if it wasn't for the fact that i'll have a pair of Voodoo 2 cards in SLI along with my Yamaha PCI sound card taking up space. There will be one PCI slot free, but i'd like to give the AGP graphics card (or even the voodoos) a bit of breathing space 😉

Reply 14 of 62, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how much power a GF2 Ultra or even a GF3 Ti200 will draw? I wonder how they compare to the FX5200 in terms of power draw?

AFAIK GF2 Ultra is based on 180nm process, while GF3 and Fx5200 are based of 150nm process,which runs cooler and draw less power

If i have to choose between these cards i will choose the GF3 Ti200 and if that draws too much power, then the FX5200 is the way to go

For these cards, use 45.23 or 61.76 driver

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/45.23/45.23 … ternational.exe

ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/61.76/61.76 … ternational.exe

2611708.png

Reply 15 of 62, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My FX5200 also crashes in 3DMark2000. I think unless I get another (newer) 440BX board it's hard for me to really know what the issue was.

My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 62, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've found with BX you need to use driver 56.64 or older for stability. Sorry this didn't come to mind sooner 🤣

I've also found that going beyond DirectX 7.0a on 9x causes a problem with NVIDIA drivers. You can start a 3D app once but if you quit and try to start it again (or another 3D app), there is some sort of kernel meltdown that kills the OS. I tried a slew of NV cards and old/new drivers. All is peachy until you move past DX7A.

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-01-20, 04:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17 of 62, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried older drivers. Didn't make a difference 🙁

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 62, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I tried older drivers. Didn't make a difference 🙁

Hmmm yeah who knows. Why kind of 5200 is it? Is it an Ultra with aux power? That's the only 5200 that I have.