Topic actions

Reply 20 of 125, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

keropi wrote:

thanks for the simplified schematic and hex!!! 😀
this mind sound stupid, but why the pins of the st232cn are not in order? it is so they are easier to draw right?

It is one of two available chip outlines available in the CAD application I used. I didn't draw it myself and it also misses out the power on pins 14 and 15.

BTW, if you use an alternative to the ST232CN, which you may, check it's data sheet and ensure you use the value of capacitor it requires.

One other thing, the simplified version omits the bi-color LED, but it is still supported. You can wire it using two resistors on either the RA2/3 pair or RA6/7 pair.

Good luck

Reply 21 of 125, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

great 😀 I'll order some ST232CN ics , I don't feel adventurous 🤣
thanks again!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 125, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay!

You may also look at these:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdeta … jsp?SKU=AV15025

I bought two the other day for this project but not as yet used either. They should be relatively easy to mount on your case if you go ahead with installing a converter internally which is a very good idea. I may even build one myself 😀

Bye

Reply 24 of 125, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice work! I look forward to testing this out when I get some free time.

sklawz wrote:

The mice move to the intended destinations equally well. The point has been made already, the serial mouse has 20 samples per second when converting from PS/2. A standard PS/2 mouse uses more like 100 and a regular serial mouse 40. The difference is clear, the serial mouse has a less fluid motion.

It is impossible to send more samples down the serial interface at 1200 baud.

For the same Logitech Mouseman trackball mouse, in both serial and PS/2 formats, I am unable to discern between the tracking quality of the two. If the numbers you provided are correct, then I am unable to discern between 40 and 100 samples/sec. Visually, are you able to discern between 20 and 40 samples/sec w.r.t fluid motion?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 25 of 125, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello

feipoa wrote:

Nice work! I look forward to testing this out when I get some free time.

sklawz wrote:

The mice move to the intended destinations equally well. The point has been made already, the serial mouse has 20 samples per second when converting from PS/2. A standard PS/2 mouse uses more like 100 and a regular serial mouse 40. The difference is clear, the serial mouse has a less fluid motion.

It is impossible to send more samples down the serial interface at 1200 baud.

For the same Logitech Mouseman trackball mouse, in both serial and PS/2 formats, I am unable to discern between the tracking quality of the two. If the numbers you provided are correct, then I am unable to discern between 40 and 100 samples/sec. Visually, are you able to discern between 20 and 40 samples/sec w.r.t fluid motion?

To be fair, I am comparing the serial mouse with my desktop USB marble mouse which I only ever use. I never actually use a traditional mouse if I can help it.

It doesn't really perform much different from the emulated mouse in Virtualbox it you may look for a close comparison.

I am unable to compare against a real serial mouse because the only one I have is an MS SERIAL MOUSE 2.0A which appears to be malfunctioning, it may need a clean (as ever).

I have an MS X03-69944 PS/2 and serial compatible mouse and an MS X03-55560 adapter but I have not got around to testing if they work together as yet.

Bye.

Edit:spelling

Reply 26 of 125, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi.

Replying to myself...

sklawz wrote:

I have an MS X03-69944 PS/2 and serial compatible mouse and an MS X03-55560 adapter but I have not got around to testing if they work together as yet.

I can confirm that these two items are compatible. The X03-69944 is known as a "Microsoft Serial Intellimouse" when in combination with the X03-55560 PS/2 to serial adapter.

With regard to usage. WIN98SE doesn't appear to support two serial mouse concurrently, however, WINXP does and when used side by side I can say that if the genuine serial mouse scores 10 then the converter scores about 8. There isn't much difference in usage except that the genuine mouse has a ball and although the motion may be smoother due to a higher sample rate it is also less smooth due to this ball which the optical mouse doesn't have of course.

Bye

Reply 27 of 125, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sklawz wrote:

when used side by side I can say that if the genuine serial mouse scores 10 then the converter scores about 8.

From this information, it sounds like there is visually about a 20% loss in tracking quality due to the conversion. This sounds a lot better than the 50% loss expected from the reduction in sample rate (40 vs. 20 sps). I am pretty excited about these results.

For use as a stand-aslone external plug-in device, I wonder how long a 9 V battery will last? We could also use a keyboard splitter cable, like the Raritan does to tap into the keyboard's 5 V line. The internal solution is probably the best route if the user doesn't plan on moving the converter between cases often. If so, just make more of them!

Reply 28 of 125, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

lo

feipoa wrote:
sklawz wrote:

when used side by side I can say that if the genuine serial mouse scores 10 then the converter scores about 8.

From this information, it sounds like there is visually about a 20% loss in tracking quality due to the conversion. This sounds a lot better than the 50% loss expected from the reduction in sample rate (40 vs. 20 sps). I am pretty excited about these results.

Yes, it feels like a 20% loss in tracking quality but bear in mind that serial mice aren't too great to start with.

The ball and rollers on the old mouse though are really irritating (I had forgotten about the noise an old mouse makes) so a little less quality in projected desktop motion is made up for with a smoother and less noisy real desktop motion.

feipoa wrote:

For use as a stand-aslone external plug-in device, I wonder how long a 9 V battery will last? We could also use a keyboard splitter cable, like the Raritan does to tap into the keyboard's 5 V line. The internal solution is probably the best route if the user doesn't plan on moving the converter between cases often. If so, just make more of them!

The PS/2 spec. says 275ma max @ 5V. I haven't measured the current of my optical mice but I will another time. I am not keen on the battery idea since although the PIC is very low current I think the ST232 is 10ma idle.

The keyboard split or a phone charger may be easier.

Bye.

UPDATE: Here are the current measurements of my test mice.

NO MOUSE        EXCEL MOUSE     GENIUS MOUSE
IDLE 13.4ma 56.8ma 32.5ma
RESET N/A 84.8ma 74.8ma
ACTIVE N/A 85.0ma 39.7ma

UPDATE2: The above measurements also include approx. 6ma in use by a LED.

Reply 29 of 125, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sklawz wrote:
UPDATE: Here are the current measurements of my test mice. […]
Show full quote

UPDATE: Here are the current measurements of my test mice.

NO MOUSE        EXCEL MOUSE     GENIUS MOUSE
IDLE 13.4ma 56.8ma 32.5ma
RESET N/A 84.8ma 74.8ma
ACTIVE N/A 85.0ma 39.7ma

UPDATE2: The above measurements also include approx. 6ma in use by a LED.

For 3 AA batteries in series (4.8V max), I don't think a battery solution would last more than 3 days without having some auto or manual shut down. The serial port, when used as a PSU, won't be able to provide enough current either. So it looks like we'll need to use a wall wart, keyboard power, or internal case power (e.g. floppy or direct from the PSU).

Last edited by feipoa on 2013-01-28, 18:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 125, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I think the floppy connection would ultimately work out best. Right angled PCB headers like this:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdeta … jsp?SKU=CN00871
clipped to 4 pins makes a great mate.

To conclude this I can create a stripboard layout and materials list for CPC later this week.

Bye!

Reply 31 of 125, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sklawz wrote:
Hi […]
Show full quote

Hi

I think the floppy connection would ultimately work out best. Right angled PCB headers like this:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdeta … jsp?SKU=CN00871
clipped to 4 pins makes a great mate.

To conclude this I can create a stripboard layout and materials list for CPC later this week.

Bye!

marvelous!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 32 of 125, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did anyone else happen to order the MAX232 from joinicmart on eBay and not receive it? It has been 1 month. He is selling two of these for only $0.99 with no shipping. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/220983887798
I do not care so much about the $0.99, but more about the loss of time before I can test this PS/2-to-serial converter out. The PIC microcontroller chip came a week ago. It also was ordered from China.

Reply 34 of 125, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was my initial thought, but then I saw this statement on their eBay page, "We can't be responsible for uninsured packages. For insurance service (Having a tracking number), please contact us to add US $3.5 at the payment."

I've never had a tiny IC like this get caught up in Customs, but if it was selected at random, it is possible...

Has anyone else ordered parts for this converter? I'm interested in your test results.

Reply 35 of 125, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Usually customs select packages randomly. Here in Portugal only packages from European Union are not subject to customs control, unless the seriously suspect something is wrong. The 386 motherboard i ordered is still in customs since the 13th. It came from Ukraine.

Reply 36 of 125, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can handle myself with a soldering iron if it is needed but it would be nice a video tutorial with step by step instructions on how to build one of these converters. If someone makes a video tutorial it would be deeply appreciated.

Reply 38 of 125, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sklawz, based on your decision for 100 nF caps, can I assume that you are using the MAX232A instead of the MAX232? Looking at the spec sheet, the MAX232 calls for 1 uF caps.

Reply 39 of 125, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lo

feipoa wrote:

sklawz, based on your decision for 100 nF caps, can I assume that you are using the MAX232A instead of the MAX232? Looking at the spec sheet, the MAX232 calls for 1 uF caps.

I used an ST232CN which requires 100n capacitors. If you use the original MAX232 that requires 1uF then make sure you get the polarity correct when using polarised capacitors.

Bye.