VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My CT1770 recently stopped sending any sound from the left channel. Only sound from the right one. If I use the mixer in Windows and move the slider from middle to left, all sound disappears. I first thought it could be the cable or the PC, but I just moved it over to my 440BX system and hooked it up to my Cambridge 2.1 soundsystem. Same problem...

Any ideas what might be wrong?

I also btw played some high quality MP3's on the card. I am AMAZED how bad it sounds compared to playing it through the same speakers with my Soundblaster X-FI. It is like night and day... Either we've come a long way since 1992 or my card is dieing (or both) 😜

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The knob is a bit dusty, but how would this effect the balance? I've also got the built-in amp disabled. Adjusting the knob on the back does nothing when playing atm.

Reply 4 of 5, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the first thing to do is check the jumpers that disable the amp... there's one for each channel, and I believe they directly switch the audio path, so maybe the one for the left channel isn't making good contact.

My second thought would be that maybe a coupling cap went bad.

Reply 5 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good tip Old trashbarg. I'll try to put on a new one on the left channel.

If that doesn't work I fear it's bye bye 1770 as a sound card, as I don't have the skills or tools to recap the whole board. Can still use its SCSI adapter though 😉