VOGONS

Mi future 486...hopefully!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

I have the same CD-ROM. Might wanna replace it at some point. It is noisy as hell.

It is quite noise yes, but haven't had time to play with it yet...to check up if it can get annoying when playing...

Reply 61 of 80, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pingaloka wrote:
vetz wrote:

I have the same CD-ROM. Might wanna replace it at some point. It is noisy as hell.

It is quite noise yes, but haven't had time to play with it yet...to check up if it can get annoying when playing...

That is up to you to decide ofc, but I replaced the one I had in my Compaq with a slotin 8x/32x DVD-ROM/CD-ROM. Got too annoyed with the noise, especially on games that load alot of the game contents from the CD.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 62 of 80, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

8x CD is enough for 486 right? 52x jet engine is overkill, the 486 does not ask for so much data anyway.

I love Quantum, because i believe most of the time outperformed any seagate / western digital. and i love mechanical device.
Conners and especially maxtors are hell performance wise.

Of course any new hdd is better than old quantum drive, but to keep it back to those era a 2gb or 3-4gb fireball would be ok.
I have many, as i am quantum hdd collector myself, i love the looks especially the older grey ones. with the ribbons exposed like the 850/1gb/1.2gb drive's pio4. i only have no trailblazers.

Btw quantum drives fascinated me when i was a kid that it had a little led to show the activity., very neet. i love it.

I wish they were still around, my all time favourite brand.

I would go for IDE, as SCSI sadly takes some more real ram away that we could use in a better way in dos games.
I am ultima7 fanboy and need the ram.

Reply 63 of 80, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

I would go for IDE, as SCSI sadly takes some more real ram away that we could use in a better way in dos games.
I am ultima7 fanboy and need the ram.

SCSI takes RAM? In which way? 😲

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 65 of 80, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

it takes ram to load its bios in, and you would be loading extra drivers that take up space too.

BIOS loaded into reserved space between 640 and 1024 MB, and even if it is not loaded, its completely dependent on the mobo if you can utilize this space with DOS=HIGH command.

For driving a SCSI HDD, or even from booting it, no dirvers of any kind needed.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 68 of 80, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love your case !

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 69 of 80, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's definitely a nice case!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 70 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this today little monster today! 30€ (40$)
It has its manuals, driver floppy disks, all but the original box. Notice that the game DOOM
came included with this GUS. Probably one of the finest examples of GUS capabilities can be found in this game.

I heard from some people that they actually dislike the Gravis...
to be honest, I've never tried it myself before. Just heard samplers or Youtube videos.
So LET'S CHECK It OUT!

Made some pictures to share. I'm documenting the whole building process!

GUS MAX

cimg5643h.jpg

cimg5648.jpg

cimg5652.jpg

cimg5654m.jpg

cimg5659o.jpg

cimg5662o.jpg

cimg5664.jpg

Reply 72 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Smal update. Bought the floppy emulator.
In ebay its stated that the colour is White. Well...it is Grey.
Still dones't look that bad at all. But be warned if you buy it.
It is not White.

BTW finally got the Gigabyte board, Fabian (amoretro) is going to change the battery and put a holder for a CR2032.

cimg5683r.jpg

Reply 74 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
carlostex wrote:

Congrats Pingaloka, it looks very good. If you need help with that floppy emulator let me know.

Thanx carlostex. I haven't tried it yet. I'll post 1st impressions when I do.

Reply 76 of 80, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

386/486 era machines had the best cases, ever.

Thats the truth.. i miss those times.
I would not trade my fdd for an usb emulator, there is nothing like the real deal., is the sound and slowness also emulated?? 😁

Reply 77 of 80, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wouldn't either Janoz. But the truth is I don't own any floppy disks. Not even one. So I found the floppy emulator to be more practical even though it is true, it does take some of the magic out!

Reply 78 of 80, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JaNoZ wrote:

Thats the truth.. i miss those times.
I would not trade my fdd for an usb emulator, there is nothing like the real deal., is the sound and slowness also emulated?? 😁

Oh it's slow allright. Remember it still uses FDD controller. Makes no sound though...

Well i still have a normal floppy drive as B:\ in my retro systems. Maybe when you guys want to get things done and your precious floppies go FUBAR you'll think twice about emulator. I got my 2GB stick formatted into 1000 partitions and so far i only have written 40 of them. Floppies are retro no doubt but as time goes by they are going to be harder and harder to find.

I'm sure that everyday in the whole world at least a couple floppies go into the trash can.

So if you can use both!

Reply 79 of 80, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The company i work for threw out 100's hd floppys in the trash, new and unused.
The day after is saw them in the dumpster and could not resist myself nd had to have them even though i already got some 400 good disks already.
some of them are DD yeah, i can use them for my midi keyboard.

Could salvage most, and all are good still working, some of my disks get soft errors but i have a 486sx25 with a teac that reads every bad disk and after rewrite all is ok.
New Pentiums and new FDD are bad in reading older disks.