VOGONS

Games that don't run properly on faster CPUs

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 141, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood has one of those tricky timer issues. Near the end of the game you need to go through a maze and make it to the girl in time. This timer expires too soon (=you are not given enough time to reach your destination) even on a 386/40MHz. On 386/33Mhz it's doable but still marginal, turn turbo off and then it's easy. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else so I though to document it here, the scene being one the the final scenes in the game doesn't help with popularity.

Reply 141 of 141, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am not sure if the list is still being updated. Tested some new games, and various games from the list. Several of these had no or other issues:

New games with issues:
Hanse Die Expedition: Installation gives Error 200 on 500Mhz or more, no issues with that on game. Issue if game runs too fast: Scene flipping speed is Speed dependent. Becomes an issue in combination with button presses which are continously checked. So if you don't immediately release the mousebutton, it will also be used as another click in the second screen. This is already becoming annoying on an AMD K6 2+ with 600Mhz. In DOS Box with too high ticks that becomes anavoidable
Ishar 1: If too fast, then game defaults to PC Speaker
Roball: Unplayable fast on AMD k6 2+ with 200Mhz, On 133Mhz it runs fine
Stellar Defense 2: Unplayable fast on AMD k6 2+ with 200Mhz, needs cache deactivated

No/Other issues:
Indiana Jones: Have no Issues, even running it on 400Mhz, Audio fine
Day of the Tentacle: No audio issues as described, runs fine on 266Mhz, crashes on 333Mhz on Title after Logo
Colonization: Had no issues. Just the scene transitions (fade via black) were too fast
Ultima Underworld 1: Barely saw a difference

Confirmed issues:
Some from the List I could Confirm: Alone in the Dark (1992) (Doubletap when running broken)
Descent: It's very resolution dependent. Low resolution too fast
Themepark: Very Resolution dependent. Low resolution too fast. There seems to be no config where high resolution runs well and menus are not too fast
Hi-Octane: Very Resolution Dependent. Both resolutions need exactly the right speed.
One Must Fall: Cashe Disable necessary, otherwise too fast
Quarantine: Cache disable necessary otherwise too fast
Wing Commander: Cache disable necessary otherwise too fast
Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams: Cache disable necessary otherwise too fast