Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Requirements:

Socket 7
Intel Chipset
ATX
Easily obtainable without paying out the ass

I want to rebuild my DOS rig into a pure socket 7 machine and reserve the SS7 board for an all out K6-2/V2 machine to be built up eventually.

So, any suggestions?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 27, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

asus tx97 atx version
most non-pc100 socket7 boards are hard to find today, but i would say asus tx97 is relatively more plentiful, and it was a successful board in its days as well.

Reply 2 of 27, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want HX, there's ASUS XP55T2P4. I own the AT version (ASUS P55T2P4), which is rock solid and succesfully overclocks to 83 Mhz.
Alternatively, I've seen quite a lot Lucky Star 5VP3 if you're not scared of VIA chip set.

Reply 4 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do want an intel chipset, I really don't care who makes it as long as I can avoid the issues I've been having with my MVP3 board.

My issue is really finding one that's reasonably priced. Maybe i'm just looking in the wrong places, ie. US ebay. Anywhere else I should look?

Reply 5 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Anywhere else I should look?

German Ebay

Low prices, and probably the lowest priced international shipping in any western country.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, google translate chokes all over itself there. Maybe I should have payed attention in that german class I had in high school...

Never bought anything from international ebay sites. Do I need to create a seperate account for each one?

Reply 7 of 27, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Never bought anything from international ebay sites. Do I need to create a seperate account for each one?

Nope, the one you have works on all Ebay sites.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, google translate makes for some hilarious engrish, no matter what the original language.

Reply 9 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bringing back a slightly old thread.

Any more recommendations for specific board models? I would need the board to support a 200MMX chip at the very least. SDRAM would be nice, but not needed really.

Reply 10 of 27, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How 'bout this one? No SDRAM, and it has a Dallas clock chip, but it seems to otherwise be a pretty nice board from what I could find about it online.

Reply 11 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a server board. None of the links I can find have any specs or info about it other than it's made by intel and has that one chip on it.

Reply 13 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do you always have so much better google-fu than I do?

Looking a little more closely at it. Thanks dude.

Reply 15 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, was asleep when that one ended, but it got relisted so let's see how it goes this time around.

How about any of those OEM Gateway or Compaq etc socket7 boards that are all over the bay? Most come from recyclers but look to be in decent condition if not at least somewhat cheaply had? Any opinions on those?

Reply 16 of 27, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I 'd be hesitant to mess with an old Compaq board without the rest of the system to go with it... they tended to be pretty proprietary. The Gateway ones are usually off-the-shelf Micronics or Intel boards and can often be flashed with a non-OEM BIOS... some of the Dell consumer-class boards are also mostly standard Intel units albeit with the Dell proprietary power supply connector in lieu of a standard ATX one (but adapters can be had for a couple dollars).

Reply 17 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's what I've been reading. I knew the Dell boards were a hit or miss, but if it's just the psu connector, then it's not much of a big deal really. The pain in the ass I've been finding is that most of these oem board use those riser cards for the expansion slots and that's just not something I've got the time or money to deal with.

Reply 18 of 27, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On Dells, the business class ones like Optiplexes and whatnot were (and still are) kinda weird, but the ones out of Dimension and XPS towers (like this one) were pretty much standard ATX. In fact, the one in that link is an Intel TE430VX board, and if you look closely you can see some empty pads under the power connector... a lot of the Intel boards of that era were designed to support both ATX and Dell PSUs, depending on where the 20-pin connector was installed.

Reply 19 of 27, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually really like those old cases. Simple and functional. Dell *used* to be pretty awesome.

Working IT and having to call warranty support several times a day for the current ones tends to spoil one's opinion of the company.