VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New to the Vogons board, so hello..i will put my introduction on the other threads...

So..I have two machines I am currently working on getting upgraded:

486DX-33

Pentium (75 or 100 MHZ, havent decided which chip)

My question is..I have "OK" 4 MB Video Cards and "OK" Sound Cards in them but curious what you'd suggest as upgrades:

Current 486 - Trident (4 MB) / SB 16

Pentium - TSENG ET4000 (4 MB) / Media Magic ISP-16

Also. any 3D acceleration?

Reply 3 of 5, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the 486 have PCI slots?
The ET4000 is pretty good for the Pentium 100. You could add a Voodoo 1 card to play some early Glide games 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 5, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I maxed out the memory on the ET4000 as well...so that will help..As for the Voodoo 1 Card, I am trying to find one as we speak (Diamond Monster 3D fx Card)

The 486 has no PCI slots, all ISA...the Pentium 1 has both...

Reply 5 of 5, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As for sound cards, it heavily depends on the variety of games you are going to play. As you could notice, many Vogons dwellers have multiple soundcards and external sound modules.

If you don't plan going deep into soundcards topic for now, I'd suggest to stick with a SB16-compatible Creative Labs card with wavetable capability. AWE32/SB32/AWE64/AWE64Gold would do it for you.

You also could search for an AWE upgrade for your SB16, but those upgrades are more rare and tend to cost more than whole AWE cards themselves.

Otherwise there are many (dozens of) soundcard and daughterboard options. Here are some of the popular ones (with wide support in games) with ebay prices:

Gravis Ultrasound Classic/MAX/ACE/Extreme [card, sound and wavetable music] - from $80
Yamaha SW60XG [card, wavetable music only] - about $100
Yamaha DB50XG/DB60XG, or a clone NEC XR385 [daughterboard, wavetable music only] - from $20 for a clone.
Roland SCC-1/SCC-1A [card, wavetable music only] - from $200
Roland LAPC-I [card, semi-wavetable music only, though some games squeeze some synthesized SFX out of it] - from $300
Roland SCB-55/SCD-15/SCM-15 [daughterboard, wavetable music only] - price unknown to me

While AWE32/SB32/AWE64, Gravis Ultrasound and NEC XR385 are relatively easy to find, other enumerated cards are pretty rare.