VOGONS

How to make a Voodoo2 SLI cable

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Logistics wrote:

Are the analog RGB signals sent from one card to the next over that cable? If so it may be advisable to use an 80-pin ultra ata cable as it is 75-Ohm just like video cable.

I think you mean a 80 conductor 40-pin cable 😉

The resistance shouldn't matter much considering it's such a short cable. Howerver, I'm curious as to how to peel a 80 conductor ribbon cable without tearing it and how to twist it correctly. If I had one to spare, I'd test that immediately 🤣

Now you say it, there should be video signals running in that cable. SLI works making each Voodoo2 card render alternatively the lines of the display, so the video information should travel through the SLI cable.

Reply 21 of 33, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, so i edited it a bit. Added the direction where which pin should go.
I think its not too crowded and it can be easily understood 😀

SLI2.png

Also, will be glad to make any scheme in illustrator if asked.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 22 of 33, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scylla wrote:
I think you mean a 80 conductor 40-pin cable ;) […]
Show full quote
Logistics wrote:

Are the analog RGB signals sent from one card to the next over that cable? If so it may be advisable to use an 80-pin ultra ata cable as it is 75-Ohm just like video cable.

The resistance shouldn't matter much considering it's such a short cable. Howerver, I'm curious as to how to peel a 80 conductor ribbon cable without tearing it and how to twist it correctly. If I had one to spare, I'd test that immediately 🤣

Now you say it, there should be video signals running in that cable. SLI works making each Voodoo2 card render alternatively the lines of the display, so the video information should travel through the SLI cable.

An impedance mismatch caused by even a tiny imperfection in cable makeup can cause a reflection resulting in more than a 3db reduction in signal which makes worlds of difference in picture when it comes to video. Perhaps, if we knew the appropriate pins we could just use the 80-conductor cable for the video signals.

Reply 23 of 33, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scylla wrote:
Show full quote
Logistics wrote:

An impedance mismatch caused by even a tiny imperfection in cable makeup can cause a reflection resulting in more than a 3db reduction in signal which makes worlds of difference in picture when it comes to video. Perhaps, if we knew the appropriate pins we could just use the 80-conductor cable for the video signals.

Reply 24 of 33, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys, you're absolutely brilliant!

The new article is excellent, and it's linked to the V2 section, which is a great idea!

Stojke, I have no idea who made the original image, it seems like the original scanned blueprints given to a S. East Asia OEM factory. Anyway, your scheme is fantastic and very professional looking.

Here's my suggestion:

http://i.imgur.com/7RkG7aZ.png

I removed the message below the cable, because it might induce people to think only pins 16 and 19 are to be twisted. I added a message above the pin assignment. I looks pretty amateur, I did it with Windows Paint! 😁

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 25 of 33, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Logistics wrote:
Scylla wrote:
Show full quote
Logistics wrote:

First of all, 80-conductor cable has a wider connector.
Second of all, 40 of 80 conductors are GND.

I hardly see any point in it. If the cable was flawed, we would see a picture of flawed lines interlaced by flawless ones. Since we don't, there's no reason to worry.

P.S. A ferrite filter might be a good idea, by the way.

Last edited by RacoonRider on 2013-04-03, 08:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 33, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, derp. Thought it was like that, will modify when i return from college today 😀
Also will expand it a bit. Thanks rug, will have that in mind 😁

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 29 of 33, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
First of all, 80-conductor cable has a wider connector. Second of all, 40 of 80 conductors are GND. […]
Show full quote
Logistics wrote:
Scylla wrote:

First of all, 80-conductor cable has a wider connector.

I hardly see any point in it. If the cable was flawed, we would see a picture of flawed lines interlaced by flawless ones. Since we don't, there's no reason to worry.

P.S. A ferrite filter might be a good idea, by the way.

Maybe you're thinking of a different cable because my 40-conductors have always fit where my 80-conductors go and vice versa. The 40 of the 80 conductors being ground, and being used in a G-S-G configuration is what allows them to have 75-Ohm impedance. And I agree with your theory about half the lines being incorrect, but up to this point we haven't actually established that the analog signals travel over this cable; it's just been speculation.

There is probably no reason to worry.

Reply 31 of 33, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You guys absolutely rule!

The article is brilliant now, and so is the schematics.

Now, I only have to find two V2 cards! 🤣 🤣 ;P

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 33 of 33, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

[quote=RacoonRider]First of all, 80-conductor cable has a wider connector.

P.S. A ferrite filter might be a good idea, by the way.[/quote]

You are, of course, right. 80-conductor cables were 40-pin for HDD and not 34-pin for FDD and then, half the cables are to connect to GND as it's documented everywhere.
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

The final revision of the Voodo2 SLI is awesome, congratulations for such quality work.