VOGONS

Retro Fever!

Topic actions

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have not finished building my 486 yet and this little retro beast inside me wants more!

I'm a retro lover! hardware and software wise.
Love Graphic Adventures, and even though my 486DX4 75Mhz its still not to its 100%. Actually I'm waiting for a new Motherboard. (finally got a Gigabyte GA-486AM/S), I'm in the process of purchasing a Pentium II.

I was not going to do it I swear! I don't whant my house full of oldschool retro junk! (forgive me guys!)

Why did I buy it?

a) Pretty good reason: I got it for 5 euros (6-7 dolars). Not from a flee market but from a guy that had it advertised in Craiglist's version of Spain.

b) To play 96-97-98-99 era games. To keep it simple and summarize: To play games that cannot be played with a 486
I see the Pentium II as a quite versatile machine: Possibility of clockdown, etc.

I don't know the exact specs, neither what's inside of it.
I didn't want to ask the guy. Let it be a surprise...
The only thing he told me was that the CPU's brand is "jump"?

c) I liked the case, it even has a turbo button. Hell, just the case is worth 5 euros for me!

92453700.jpg

54053470.jpg

I know...... 😊

Reply 1 of 37, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Jump Ordenadores, how many fond memories.

They were the first Spanish retail chain (although the story of the man behind Jump is also worthy on its own) to take PC enthusiasts seriously. Back then, the big chains, few as they were, only carried Intel chips and looked at you as if they'd heard something nasty if you asked about 3D accelerators.

I bought the first computer of my own there, upgrading from a Pentium 75 MHz. It was a beautiful AMD K6-2/350 MHz. and I had to buy one component a month in order to build it. I remember getting an HP 9110i writer, an awesome model that had everything... except for buffer underrun protection, which came exactly two months later and forced me to be extra careful with burning discs. That writer was thrown out only some years ago, although I regret it now, since I would have liked to burn some old console games like it was 1997 😉

Edit: now that I have a closer look at the pics. Why did the original owner trim the chassis at the PSU level? To fit an ATX PSU in an AT case?

Reply 2 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scylla wrote:

Edit: now that I have a closer look at the pics. Why did the original owner trim the chassis at the PSU level? To fit an ATX PSU in an AT case?

No idea, I'll ask him when I see him.

Reply 3 of 37, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My guess here is that the original PSU died and he just wanted to fit "some random PSU he could get hold of" into the case by any means. Still a really nice retro case, screams like "1994" into my face.

Reply 4 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fronzel wrote:

My guess here is that the original PSU died and he just wanted to fit "some random PSU he could get hold of" into the case by any means. Still a really nice retro case, screams like "1994" into my face.

Must have been a hell of a big PSU for the looks of that hole!

Reply 6 of 37, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You bought this machine already.? a P2?
I have a bunch of slot1 era stuff i want to get rid of, P2B-F some LX dual and BX dual and single boards and some P2-350's, P2-400's P3-500-550, 733's etc, also some older 266 333 Klamath's and so, anyone interested?

Btw i want to see the insides of your casing.

Reply 7 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JaNoZ wrote:

You bought this machine already.? a P2?
I have a bunch of slot1 era stuff i want to get rid of, P2B-F some LX dual and BX dual and single boards and some P2-350's, P2-400's P3-500-550, 733's etc, also some older 266 333 Klamath's and so, anyone interested?

Btw i want to see the insides of your casing.

Hi Janoz, I haven't bought the machine yet. I'm doubting....
Do I really need it? Probably not, but for 5 Euros... I'm interested on what I can find inside the machine. Getting the computer, going home and opening it....WOW....maybe find a Voodoo2 inside? hahaha
+love the case!

Reply 9 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally, I decided to get the "Pentium II" from this guy.

Well...many surprises came when I opened the computer!

First Impression when I saw the computer: huge case!

Second thing I noticed: no Hdd. The guy said there was an HDD, oh well....no problem it was 5 euros. What can I say. I'm not going to phone the guy and complain 😀

I connected an hdd to check if computer worked, looked and the specs while booting and........New Surprise! It was not a Pentium II but a Pentium-S 133Mhz 32mb EDO ram!
Socket 7 motherboard It is!

Some photographic evidence:

a) Pentium case compared to the 486's case I have:

15475381.jpg

17654076.jpg

b) Motherboard: Abit PR5 R2 PCI
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/AB … ml#.UWCs07I4LBd

88079906.jpg

c) NEC

81547512.jpg

d) S3 Trio 64V+ 2mb or 4mb?

11957489.jpg

e) Avance Logic ALS100, I think this is a SB16 clone?

29328817.jpg

f) 32mb EDO Ram

60129347.jpg

So this is it. oh yes, and a floppy disc driver + cd rom 8x which I will swap for the 52X Lg that I have in the 486.

I have some questions about this Pentium. I would like to change the CPU for a quicker one in a near future as Pentium cpu's MMX, amd K6 are quite cheap. Any recommendations?

1. The Motherboard states that it can handle a max frecuency o 200mhz. So I guess that means nothing higher than 200-230?

2. AMD k6, any advantages of using this over an MMX?

3. I have many FPM ram modules. Can I mix them with the 32 EDO Ram that the mother board comes with?

4. Would a Voodoo 1 or 2, be a good addition to the system?

Well, this is what I found, and as Larry David would say
"pretty, pretty good". 😀

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-04-07, 00:35. Edited 12 times in total.

Reply 10 of 37, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it is at least going to be a pentium. the red intel sticker on the front leads me to believe it MAY be the original 66mhz pentium.

I would DEFIANTLY get that. SHOW US INSIDE ALREADY!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 37, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Awesome! Far older than you expected, but a great PC for DOS gaming nonetheless. The 3com Etherlink Ethernet adapter is a nice touch, by the way, and really easy to configure under DOS if I remember well. Windows 9x will surely include these drivers.

I don't think that you can mix EDO and FPM RAM, but if I recall correctly, EDO ram is better and has faster timings. I don't know if they use the same voltage, but in Macintosh at least 3.3V and 5V slots are keyed differently.

I don't know if getting a fast K6, for example a 233 MHz. one, would be a great improvement over the Pentium. On AMD I went from the Am586 (excellent CPU) directly to the K6-2. I can spare a SL27H SSpec Pentium MMM 166 MHz. Since we're both from Spain, it wouldn't be a hassle to give it away to you.

Reply 12 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scylla wrote:

Awesome! Far older than you expected, but a great PC for DOS gaming nonetheless.

Yes! I'm actually happier with a Socket 7 motherboard. Just because the value of this old hardware + I think its more flexible when it comes to DOS gaming.

Reply 13 of 37, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is this by any chance the manual of this motherboard?

Also, I think the S3 video card is 2 MB total size. The soldered V53C16258HK40 chip seems to be a 512 KB EDO RAM module.

Reply 15 of 37, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That S3 is already upgraded to the max: I remember going to a computer store and painstakingly ordering the 1 MB to 2 MB upgrade of my Trident 9440 😁
I repeat my offer: if you want a P166 MMX I can give it away to you.

Reply 16 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanx a lot for your offer Scylla, but I want to wait for a while and get a MMX 200-230 in a future. I already have high end 486 (Amd 5x86 on its way) and I want to make the bigger gap I can (in terms of technology) between the 486 and the Pentium.

thanx Scylla!

Reply 17 of 37, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So to summarize guys, from your answers and what I'ved read:

a) Motherboard can only handle up to 200-230Mhz
b) The board handles SDRAM but no SDRAM sockets?
c) Voodoo2 will be a good add up for early 3d games.
d) I'm not clear on the issue of an AMD K6 200Mhz being better than a MMX 200Mhz
e) What kind of USB connector is that in the MOBO? 15pin?

Reply 18 of 37, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to this site the Cyrix is the winner among 200 MHz. CPUs, although I'd go straight for an AMD K6 considering eBay prices of the Cyrix part. Only that you shall be warned that there're (still) some sellers who don't understand the PR thing and would sell you the wrong part. In the AMD case, as the processor markings were painted rather than etched (as it says again in that page), they can be easier to mistake.