VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

The trimpots on my CM-32L and Sound Blaster 1.5 need replacing.

I don't quite know what parts to source and where from.

Can anyone help?

Here are some images:

img0496yk.th.jpg
img0494tt.th.jpg
img0492na.th.jpg
img0495nf.th.jpg
img0491m.th.jpg
img0490zo.th.jpg
img0493uc.th.jpg
img0489n.th.jpg

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Logistics wrote:

Custom bracket with Alps pot = yay 😉

Sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say 😀

Are these parts hard to source?

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 13, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you find any numbers or markings on them? You may have to remove them first as they could be marked on the back side.

And that Roland pot, looks more like an encoder. Am I right?

Reply 4 of 13, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding the CM-32L...

Panasonic EVJY90F01B54, 50kΩ (B) x 2
Roland part #13279926

Roland US or AU should have one available for purchase. If not, and you can't find the exact Panasonic part elsewhere, ALPS' RK14K124-series pots are supposedly equivalent.

What, exactly, is the issue though? Are the pots simply dirty/scratchy? A "fader lube" product might save you the effort of replacing things.

Reply 5 of 13, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Logistics wrote:

Custom bracket with Alps pot = yay 😉

Sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say 😀

Are these parts hard to source?

Your card has a Thumb-Wheel potentiometer. I was just looking at some in Digi-Key's catalog, but I haven't found one that has a matching pin arrangement.

Anyway, Alps are some of the better potentiometers in the audio scene and I would just suggesting ditching the thumb-wheel, taking one of the blanks next to your sound-card and drilling a hole in it, installing a chassis-mount Alps pot and wiring it by hand. Okay, this is kind of extreme unless you're going to mod the rest of your sound-card componentry, but it sounded good. 😁

Edit: I agree with him, the Panasonic part seems to match up. Go to digikey.com and search P2E9503-ND and it should come right up.

Reply 6 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:

What, exactly, is the issue though? Are the pots simply dirty/scratchy? A "fader lube" product might save you the effort of replacing things.

On the Roland, I only get full Stereo when turned all the way to the rigth. Wiggling the knob or turning it to the left and the left channel becomes very weak.

The Sound Blaster 1.5 has a similar issue. I only get full Stereo when I push the dial down a certain way.

My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 13, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Cloudschatze wrote:

On the Roland, I only get full Stereo when turned all the way to the rigth. Wiggling the knob or turning it to the left and the left channel becomes very weak.

The Sound Blaster 1.5 has a similar issue. I only get full Stereo when I push the dial down a certain way.

Is seems like dirt.

How about DeOxit cleaner? I'm sure you can find it, even when you're upside down! 😜

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 8 of 13, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These pots look identical to the one on the SB card:
http://www.alps.com/WebObjects/catalog.woa/E/ … 08H12100F3.html
http://nl.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=rk08h

You'll need to check if the pinout, dimensions and total resistance match the one you currently have.
Also check the resistance taper specification, you'll want a forward logarithmic taper (commonly referred to as 'audio' taper). I have no idea what they mean by a '15C' taper.

Reply 9 of 13, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

On the Roland, I only get full Stereo when turned all the way to the rigth. Wiggling the knob or turning it to the left and the left channel becomes very weak..

This sounds more like a faulty or broken solder joint. If you (gently) wiggle the potentiometer, is there any movement of the solder joints or pins? Whether observed or not, simply re-soldering the potentiometer might be all this takes to resolve.

Reply 10 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick update!

I ended up emailing Roland Australia and what a service! Got an answer right away and I could order the part 😀

15 bucks with postage 😀

Wondering what other "vintage" parts they have!

Now I just got to solder it...

DW9FGL3l.jpg

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 13, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well done!

Don't throw the old one into the bin, it may be salvageable.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 12 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sound Blaster 1.5 PIRATE trimpot repair

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

awesome 🤣
also it's amazing that roland.au did carry the part... great!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website