VOGONS

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried on three different machines. I get the same error as seen in the attached screenshot. This happens on three different systems. One Socket 7 430TX, one Socket 7 MVP3 and one Slot 1 440BX. DOS version 7 installed on all computers.

I try running it with s3drun with the cards. The game does run with the S3 Virge 325, VX and DX (with S3DRUN). I've tried without autoexec.bat and sound loaded, but to no avail.

I don't own the GX and the original MX so can't test it with those.

My only conclusion so far is that the game is not compatible with S3 Virge MX+ and GX2 in S3D mode even with S3DRUN.

PS: I can add that my S3 Virge MX+ PCI card syncs perfectly in DOS with the Avermedia card without any tricks, so might be interesting for some people who want to capture easily from their 486's or DOS in general (though the signal output quality suck as with most S3 Virge cards) 😀

Attachments

• 20130503190338.jpg
    Filename
    20130503190338.jpg
    File size
    107.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 13, by pyrogx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like a segmentation fault (exception 0D). I got similar errors with my Virge DX when trying to start the S3D version of Descent 2. However, these were page faults (exception 0E), at least I think so. I had to replace the DOS extender bound to the d2virge.exe with DOS32/A in order to get it working.
Just a wild guess, as you're getting a different error code, but it might be worth a try...

Reply 3 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Putas wrote:

Works fine for me, you did run s3dsrvr before, right?
And tell me frequency of your MX+ please 😀

Frequency is reported in Powerstrip 2.78 as 14.3 mhz?

I troubleshooted some more and I just downloaded the S3DRUN version from your website and the game now works if I run it from Windows. Apparently I was using an old version of S3DRUN.

Reply 6 of 13, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vetz, any luck with this? I've been meaning to try it out on mine.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 9 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
m1so wrote:

Will you post the video of Descent II on these 2 cards? Pretty please 😉

Hehe, yes, sorry a bit late on this project. I was planning on using recorded demos for playback on the different cards like I did on Descent 1. That would mean I would only need to play the first levels once and than replay the demo with the different cards to get enough gameplay footage . With Descent II, replaying a recorded demo from another version causes very annoying jiggering! This means that I have to play while recording. Since I plan on having splitscreens and transisitons I need to play almost exactly every playthrough. Time consuming and boring.

Reply 10 of 13, by m1so

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. By the way, what is the FPS count using the GX2 card in Descent 2. I viewed a couple of your videos done using GX/GX2 cards and the performance seems good, definitely not like the infamous 325 decelerator.

Reply 11 of 13, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Got it working, as I wrote above I wasn't using the latest version of S3DRUN.

Is this the same version that's on Vogonsdrivers now? I just downloaded it and got the same error message that you did in the first post.

Trying to run D2 on a Toshiba Tecra 550CDT with a Virge MX for video.

Reply 12 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote:
vetz wrote:

Got it working, as I wrote above I wasn't using the latest version of S3DRUN.

Is this the same version that's on Vogonsdrivers now? I just downloaded it and got the same error message that you did in the first post.

Trying to run D2 on a Toshiba Tecra 550CDT with a Virge MX for video.

If I remember correctly I got it from http://www.vintage3d.org

http://www.vintage3d.org/data/s3dpatch.zip#s3d%20toolkit

Reply 13 of 13, by rxr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also struggled with the Virge /DX card I got, looks like it the s3dsrvr and s3drun do not work in regular, plain old MS-DOS? Installing Windows 95 and running it from the DOS window worked! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-djkOUvnRTg