VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Kruton 9000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On CRT monitors the difference between cards isn't so significant.
I should add, that in my experience S3 Trio cards usually provide better image quality than S3 Virge cards. I have a bunch of S3 cards and the best picture I can see is on nonename S3 Trio 64V+ card.

Reply 22 of 27, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not all S3 Trio and ViRGE cards are created equal, some of them were made by terrible manufacturers and several variants do have a better RAMDAC. Notably the ViRGE/VX which was the successor of the S3 Vision968.

I do have a Compaq ViRGE/GX card (175 MHz RAMDAC) whose image quality was very good and has higher quality components than the usual fare.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 23 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed. I'd really appreciate a like-for-like comparison between S3 and non-S3 from same brand. None of this has to do with digital signal processing, it's all analog signal quality. Now, the Virge has an onboard RAMDAC, so the analog source is indeed the chip, but chip A on board by brand X vs chip B on board by brand Y comparison doesn't convincingly make the case that it's really the chip itself that makes the difference.

That said, I've generally considered Elsa and Miro to be equally near perfect when it came to this and it's interesting to see the difference even between cards with the same chip from these quality brands.

Reply 24 of 27, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience, bypassing the output filter on VGA output makes for a very noticable improvement in image sharpness/clarity in every card I have touched, from low end ISA ones to even more modern stuff. I have broken the ferrites (so the core wire only remains) and removed the capacitors on some low end looking Virge cards and all the blur/smear disappears and higher resolutions start to look fine again. Similarly with many nvidia based cards that often had blurry looking VGA output.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 25 of 27, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2023-11-15, 20:39:

chip A on board by brand X vs chip B on board by brand Y comparison doesn't convincingly make the case that it's really the chip itself that makes the difference.

Why not? That is exactly what I would do to prove that the chip itself is to blame. Collect ten Virge cards from different brands, and put them against ten other cards with non-S3 chips, and if all 10 Virges lose on brightness, that would seal it for me. Or the other way round, find a Virge that has higher brightness than a bunch of other cards in a direct comparison.

We have already proven that there is considerable variance in the output quality between Virge cards from different manufacturers, what remains is a baseline low brightness that could be due to internal settings of the chip.

I also had another no-name Virge DX that was in fact so bad I threw it away. It looked exactly as in the first comparison made by vetz who started this thread. I genuinely thought it was defective, but after seeing his, I am not so sure anymore.

Reply 26 of 27, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
asdf53 wrote on 2023-11-16, 05:20:
dionb wrote on 2023-11-15, 20:39:

chip A on board by brand X vs chip B on board by brand Y comparison doesn't convincingly make the case that it's really the chip itself that makes the difference.

Why not? That is exactly what I would do to prove that the chip itself is to blame. Collect ten Virge cards from different brands, and put them against ten other cards with non-S3 chips, and if all 10 Virges lose on brightness, that would seal it for me. Or the other way round, find a Virge that has higher brightness than a bunch of other cards in a direct comparison.

That would be a good idea - I was referring to the present 2x S3 (Elsa and Miro) vs cards from unnamed board brands with Cirrus Logic and Trident and GF4 from a different brand. There are clear differences in output but there are also multiple variables. I strongly suspect the fuzziness of the Trident is caused by a crappy low-end card rather than being inherent to the chip.

Reply 27 of 27, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see what you mean, a set of three cards (S3, Cirrus, Trident) from the same brand, and then compare that to a set of another brand. My collection is too small for that unfortunately, but it would definitely be interesting. I would love to see a brand name Trident from that time, do they even exist? It seems that they were so cheap that no one from the bigger name brands bothered.