VOGONS

Reply 40 of 44, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I eventually did get a Geforce 4 Ti 4600. Ran like a beast in the machine for awhile. I recently switched it out for a Voodoo5, and that'll be good enough to cover my Win98 gaming needs I guess. Not *true* DX7 capable but good enough I think?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 41 of 44, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had nearly the same thought. Then I noticed Starlancer requires DirectX 7 (i think). It's a good game to cover in the Win98 spread. There are some others too I'm sure. Since I do like to have Glide as an option, I changed my Vooodoo 5 to a PCI version 😀

Reconfiguring a retro build never seems to feel complete. Grab some static bags, and some small clear plastic bins from Walmart. I just plan to be swapping hardware when curiosity kicks in. So i just take extra care knowing the retro box will likely change a card from time to time. If you ever need an excuse, just claim it's for science!

Reply 42 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bytesaber wrote:

I looked at it like this. From what I understand: (feel free to correct me)
DirectX 7 is compatible with anything 7.0 and older. So from a Windows 98 perspective, this covers everything going back to the beginning of Windows 95 gaming.

Um...... there are some DX7 cards that regressed many legacy features including table fog.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 44 of 44, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Radeon comes to mind. 😀 No Radeon officially supports table fog.. On the original Radeon it was sometimes possible to get fog working with a registry tweak.