VOGONS

First post, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Guys sometimes my motivation just fades away. I love doing this but i constantly get problems that just don't make any sense.

Now i'm having some trouble with my mouse. Recently i just made a video where i could finally upgrade a SB 2.0 to be CMS capable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgblqq4pFTs

Although the real purpose of the video is not relevant here, please just watch the first 1:30 minutes of the video. You see my mouse?

It is a Dexin Combo mouse. Although it is a ball mouse, it can do 800DPI and it is very very precise (for a ball mouse). As you can see in the video it is a PS/2 mouse which i'm using with a RS232 adapter. You are also able to see that the Logitech driver does find the mouse and installs it on COM1.

Until today i replaced my CDROM for a slower one as the other was too fast and noisy. Hours later and a few boots afterwards, the logitech driver could not find the mouse anymore.

Tried reseating the controller card, tried to make sure adapter was well connected but the damn driver just can't see it. So i brought one of my older serial mice, and all worked. Tried the Dexin combo mouse again and nothing. Maybe the adapter went bananas so i tried a couple more i had there and still the driver couldn't see the mouse.

So i had to test more and grabbed my 486 system. With a Zida tomato board, i first tried connecting the mouse on pure PS2. Tried it and worked! OK so the mouse is working which made me think all adapters were screwed up. Tried it in serial with the adapter and nothing again. I thought OK maybe adapters are really dead.

So i tried also my pure serial mice just to prove my theory, but to my surprise, they didn't work!!! WTF is going on here?
Tried pretty much everything with the 486, changing connectors, checked the BIOS, everything is fine. I even replaced the board for another zida, ran the same tests and it was the same. 486 does not want serial mice.

Any ideas, any clues i reslly need some help

Reply 1 of 8, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to be clear:

- your original system could use ps/2 mouse on a serial port, until you changed the cd drive. It can still use serial mice. Suggests mouse or adapter as you say, or some effect the cd drive is having

- your 486 boards can use that ps/2 mouse but not serial mice.

So how about this:

- if you put your faster cd drive back in the original system, will the ps/2 mouse on the serial adapter work again?

- on your 486s have you tried different mouse drivers?

I never had any luck with ps/2 to serial adapters on my 386, even with serial-compatible mice, but it's odd how it did work and now it doesn't.

Reply 2 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well i cannot say for sure it was because of CD Drive, because i'm not sure it stop working immediately. But it was the last hardware change before it started doing this.

Anyway i actually just disabled the CD drive but the problem remains.

Yes i tried different mouse drivers on both systems. Cute MOuse always installs the driver but mice don't work. This happens with the combo mouse in serial and a normal serial mouse. In PS/2 everything is fine. This on a 486.

On the 386, serial mice work with both drivers but the combo mouse works with none.

I'm starting to think these are two different problems. Either the adapter on the combo mouse is dead, even though i tried several, or the combo mouse stopped understanding the serial protocol once and for all.

The 486 problem of not accepting serial mice at all may be a different problem, even though i tried several different cables/headers, serial mice, checked the BIOS, checked for conflicts, tried different drivers, etc...

The thing that kills me is that as you can see in the video, that combo mouse sitting on top of that yellow box, was working perfectly in serial and you can see the driver installs just fine.

It seems rather ridiculous that i switch the CD ROMS again just to see if it works, but as i already disabled one to try i don't think i'm gonna get lucky.

Sometimes logic does not seem to apply on these old systems. My head is about to explode.

Reply 3 of 8, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is one of the motivators for my MS-DOS Time-Machine project. Too much time gets lost with solving weird and intermittent problems 🙁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

most likely the mouse just bit the dust and it just happened on the cd change...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 8, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I mostly find retro computers to be very temperamental in an unexplained ghostly way 😀 tighten one screw too tight and inadvertently you have unsettled a vlb card and the contacts are now not aligned properly and the system will not boot. Push a serial mouse into the com port and another variable changes. It can be frustrating but very fun 😀 if i had constant random issues with a mouse or serial port that previously worked i would strip this system back to bare bones minimum to limit the variables and work from there. Plus rollback to different mouse drivers and versions.

Reply 6 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With the 486 is not a big deal because i'm using a PS/2 optical mouse anyway, but that combo mouse has something like 800DPI which was being great with the 386.

Reply 8 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

Can anyone reccomend a really good serial mouse? Or several ones?

It's hard to go wrong with the tried and true Microsoft serial mouse. I think everyone has at least one of those lying around somewhere.