VOGONS

First post, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have recently bought an scb-55 daughterboard from a musician and this little card was a bonus. The seller could not remember what it is. I think it is some sort of MPU interface because it has the same Roland chip but I do not know the proprietary connectors. Part of a synthetiser maybe? Any ideas?

Attachments

• Filename
    smallRolandcard02b.jpg
    File size
    43.47 KiB
    Downloads
    116 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 1 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah most likely it's a part of another synth/keyboard...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks a lot!

The card is of no use to me, then. I do not think I will invest in the host card (unless I can get it cheap which is very unlikely).

Reply 4 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cloudschatze wrote:

It's the MPU-401 daughterboard for a Voyetra V-22 MIDI interface card.

really? so this adds roland compatibility to the V-22?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MPU 401 compatibility only. You still need the Voyetra/Turtle Beach breakout box and an external MIDI device (if you want to have genuine Roland stuff)

http://www.turtlebeach.com/support/entry/370112333/?ajax=1

Reply 8 of 9, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

jolaes76: what did u think of the sound canvas 55 daughterboard? did u find it worthwhile?
did u buy this board to attach it to a MPU-401AT MIDI interface card?
or did u use it with some other soundcard with wavetable header?
just curious;)

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 9 of 9, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oddly enough, this ended up on an SB16 for quite a while. I was testing various SB16 models and I had only two without the hanging note bug: a CT1740 and a CT2xxx (I cannot recall if it is a CT2230). Later I realized (after reading Cloud's posts) that ALL SB16s are "defective" in this sense because of a MIDI buffering problem but somehow the DB stayed on the CT2xxx card. My taste moved towards the Yamaha/NEC and some exotic DBs for general listening because I knew nothing about fine tuning GM effects* and the NEC sounded more "fun" out of the box, but the SC-55 still is on that SB16 with the "proper" DSP. I am not playing Xwing and Tie and the likes too much on that system to care for the general SB16 bug.

But this does not change the fact the SCB-55 IS the reference GM DB and some games really benefit from its well-balanced instrument set.

If I had an MPU-401AT, I would put the SC-55 on that one for sure 😀

*but since then I stopped worrying and learned to love MIDICOM 😀