VOGONS

First post, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many times a 486DX2 66Mhz has been said to be a very good system, compatibilty wise, to play games from 1989-1995...
Others prefer a High end 486, with maybe an Am5x86 a Cyrix, a DX4 100....

Nevertheless, for some old games, L1 cache or turbo will have to be used with any of these CPUs. It doesn't matter if it is a DX2 66 or a Am5x86. Eg: Wing Commander.

So which of these would be better in terms of compatibility for older DOS games?

Well according to my Speedsys results a high end 486 with an Am5x86 has a bigger slowdown when L1 is disabled. So therefore it should cover a wider range of games with "optimum" compatibility. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Computer Specs:

GA-486AM/AMS (REV. 2).

32 FPM

S3 Trio64V+ 2MB

Am5x86 133mhz

Internal Cache enabled + Turbo button enabled: 49.68

Internal Cache Enabled + Turbo disabled: (no effect on AMD)

Internal Cache disabled + Turbo button enabled: 8.42

Internal Cache disabled + Turbo button disabled: 1.21

486DX2 66mhz

Internal Cache enabled + Turbo button enabled: 25.04

Internal Cache enabled + Turbo button disabled: 11.94

Internal Cache disabled + Turbo button enabled: 13.65

Internal Cache disabled + Turbo button disabled: 2.14

Any Conclusions?

Reply 1 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having used both CPUs in the past, the DX2 66 is more period-accurate, but the 5x86 133 delivers better performance. I'm not aware of any games that will run on the 66 that won't also run on the 133.

Reply 3 of 17, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found crusader:no remorse unplayable on an AMD 5x86-P75-133 CPU that had been overclocked a little. It was way too fast.

For compatibility straight off the bat I'd go with the Intel DX2-66. classic chip for games made between 1989 and 1995

It will also mean less fiddling with cache and having to use the turbo button.

Reply 4 of 17, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rgart wrote:

I found crusader:no remorse unplayable on an AMD 5x86-P75-133 CPU that had been overclocked a little. It was way too fast.

For compatibility straight off the bat I'd go with the Intel DX2-66. classic chip for games made between 1989 and 1995

It will also mean less fiddling with cache and having to use the turbo button.

But did you actually try disabling L1 Cache?

Reply 6 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had an AMD 486DX4-100 as a kid. I drilled a few switches to the front of the case and connected wires to the FSB and multiplier pins 😁

I believe I could set the FSB from 25MHz to 33MHz and 40 MHz and the multiplier from 2x to 3x. It was quite cool. The multiplier could be set while running if memory serves me right, but the FSB would crash the system.

Still it was cool to have a DX2-50 one Minute and a DX4-100 the other.

In terms of grunt, the 486 quickly runs out of steam and you really want a Pentium. Especially once the 3D games started to take off. There are levels in Doom that can tax a 486, especially custom maps.

Comanche might be a game that runs too fast on a 486DX-4 but I can't remember exactly.

A TON of friends had a DX2-66. It was the first clock doubling chip and dramatically increased performance. The486DX4 is also a very interesting chip to be honest.

So if I would build a 486 I would, just as I did as a kid, go with the AMD, mod some switches to the front as I hate compromises and "want it all" 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could bring down the speed of my Pentium 133 respectably to a 286's 12MHz - like system by playing around with the Turbo Button and the Internal Cache, I can even play WIng Commander I comfortably in this setting : The Pentium P54c, the Turbo Buton and the Internal Cache. And Wing Commander I is Happy!

Using this, you can cover a variety of high-end games and older, speed-sensitive games.

Unlike using software solutions like moslo,etc., the Turbo Button and Internal Cache manipulation using the easier ICD.EXE and ICE.EXE files produce constant, consistent and smooth slowdown.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 9 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

So why not recommend a Pentium Overdrive instead?

Because there are ton of other benefits of Socket 7 I'm finding.

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 17, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that is strongly depends what you are going to do with the system if a 486 is sufficient.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 17, by Pingaloka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A pentium 133-200mhz may be more useful/practical as it can cover a wider variety of games.
It seems that the 486 stands at no-mans-land as it has been discussed already in several ocassions.
Specially when we are talking about early 3d.

Nevertheless the 486 is surrounded by a certain glamour IMO. The 486 is in the borderline between retro (486) and new (pentium). Of course first pentiums are not new at all, but they are the ones that opened the gate into "modern computers", maybe I'm being a bit subjective here.

I keep considering if I should stick to the 486 + 200MMX, or just the 200MMX as it may have almost same compatibility as the 486.

At the end you have to consider pragmatism if you actually wanna play any games. (different matter if you are a collector or just likes to mess around with hardware.)
Having 3, 4 computers just to play games...well....better to stick with 1, max 2 IMO.

Last edited by Pingaloka on 2013-05-28, 23:33. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 12 of 17, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to add that I do have a separate dedicated 486DX2-66 machine, in addition to my Pentiums. Mostly for nostalgic sake, and well....it's a 486 after all. 😁

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love my 386 system, it's very nostalgic as it pretty much matches the hardware of my first computer. Plus the 386 DX 40 was the boom of the IBM PC clone, very popular wit vendors and people that wanted to build their computers.

So i'm actually wondering instead my 386 DX 40 and 486 class AMD 5x86 @160, i would be better off with a 486 DX-25 to replace the 386 (no need for ISA controllers and i could replace the serial ball mouse by a ps/2 optical) and give use to my AMD K5 or P54C Pentiums to replace the AMD 5x86.

Or maybe just one Socket 7 system for DOS playing.

Reply 14 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 386DX40, a 486SX33, and a P166MMX. The 386 and the Pentium cover anything I'd want to play, and if I had to choose just one then the Pentium would have me covered thanks to some well documented tricks to slow it down. The 486 is pure nostalgia and does indeed fall into no-mans-land somewhat.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 15 of 17, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmofo wrote:

I have a 386DX40, a 486SX33, and a P166MMX. The 386 and the Pentium cover anything I'd want to play, and if I had to choose just one then the Pentium would have me covered thanks to some well documented tricks to slow it down. The 486 is pure nostalgia and does indeed fall into no-mans-land somewhat.

Didn't you post in a previous thread that you used your 486 as an "ultimate" machine for Ultima? I guess it is perfect for this game then?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 16 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
carlostex wrote:

Or maybe just one Socket 7 system for DOS playing.

I'm waiting for a new ATX case and will do a video similar to VictorB's time-laps. Less me talking, more "arty" as my brother calls it 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

Didn't you post in a previous thread that you used your 486 as an "ultimate" machine for Ultima? I guess it is perfect for this game then?

I did! You have a good memory. The 33Mhz 486 is about right for Ultima7 I think and that game is unique in that it's very speed sensitive, and does lots of disk reads. So although the 386DX40 could handle the load OK, the IO really benefited from the VLB controller in the 486.

But having a specific machine for 1 game is a bit of an indulgence; I could easily play it on the 386 or the Pentium (slowed down a bit).