VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I am trying to make Rick Dangerous play along with my p1 DOS build but I always get the "Packed file is corrupt" error and get dumped back to the command line.
I have tried either EMS/XMS configurations, moslo, disabling L1 cache and loadfix (came as a suggestion on mobygames)

None worked, I get the error every time. Is there any other workaround?
The game plays fine on DosBOX btw so it's not corrupted files (didn't get an error when copying either)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 16, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rick Dangerous requires Loadfix. It works here, using MS-DOS 6.22 using loadfix from 6.22 (1131 bytes english version, file date 31. May 1994) and also using loadfix from MS-DOS 6.00 (german version, 1273 bytes, file date 10. March 1993)
Memory config is 626080 bytes free, just himem, ansi, xmsdsk, dos is loaded to hma.
but works also with QEMM Stealthing and stuff...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 16, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm surprised that loadfix doesn't work - how much free conventional memory?
if DOS, device drivers etc. are loaded high, try disabling that - the idea is to have something occupying the lowest 64KB of conventional memory so the game will load elsewhere.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 3 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Turns out that if I have less conventional memory then loadfix works and the game loads.
But on my normal configuration(s) I have 635,968 (XMS) or 631,824 (EMS) bytes of free conventional memory... loadfix does not help for some reason with that much available memory...
Tested with no UMBs and with ~585kb of free mem and it works... is there a way to make loadfix work with my normal configs? I can't seem to think of something to load (and then unload) to consume so much memory...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 16, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Erm, you can always load mark / release. So you could load as much times mark until the memory is consumed and release afterwards.
(if you load release more times than mark it doesn't do anything)

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 6 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could try this util or you could pack the exe with LZEXE or UPX.

I forgot to add that Ben Castricum's UNP can also optimize EXE headers.

Attachments

• Filename
    EXPAKFIX.ZIP
    File size
    9.4 KiB
    Downloads
    131 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried both expakfix and upx and both complain about rick.com not being an .exe ...

also running from dosshell does not help... seems hilarious to me that it has problems with too much ram available , usually it's the lack of ram that gives problems 🤣 🤣 🤣

elianda wrote:

Erm, you can always load mark / release. So you could load as much times mark until the memory is consumed and release afterwards.
(if you load release more times than mark it doesn't do anything)

is mark/release some programs that occupy/release memory? never used them or heard of them, where can I grab a copy?

Reply 8 of 16, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try Ben Castricum's UNP.EXE (included here).
The message suggests that the file is packed with ExePack, which UNP can unpack.

Attachments

• Filename
    UNP.zip
    File size
    19.81 KiB
    Downloads
    140 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 16, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

is mark/release some programs that occupy/release memory? never used them or heard of them, where can I grab a copy?

Mark/Release are two tools, that allow you to recover conventional memory if you have to load a TSR that can't be unloaded normally.

It works the way that you first load Mark that saves the memory status, then the TSR. If you want to unload it, you run Release and it recovers the status before the last loaded Mark. You can load mark several times.

ftp://78.46.141.148/dos/driver/mark_release.rar

Youtube Channel

Reply 10 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@peterferrie

I converted rick.com to rick.exe with UNP and it runs ... tried to use EXPAKFIX on it and it complained the executable was not packed with exepack... tried to UPX it and it gives a NotCompressibleException error... I must be doing something wrong 🤣

@elianda
will give a shot at your tools thanks! if exe-fixing is not an option they are the best chance

Reply 12 of 16, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know rick.com is compressed with scramble 1.00

I converted it to exe some time ago (probably dumping it with cup386).

There are also other two files rick.cga and rick.ega that are both EXE in disguise.

I have them all packed with an exe packer I don't recall its name right now. (yeah it was Jibz's aPACK).

Reply 13 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My rick.com is indeed 3535 bytes... loadfix does work for me but I need to have ~585kb of free conventional for it to work. Else I get the pack error...
maybe the error comes from the rick.ega/rick.cga files that eL_PuSHeR mentions? if they are EXEs maybe they are the real culprits
Rick.com by itself work and you get to choose ega or cga, then the screen goes blank, there is some hdd activity and you get dumped back to dos with the error

Reply 14 of 16, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2013-06-24, 08:48:

My rick.com is indeed 3535 bytes... loadfix does work for me but I need to have ~585kb of free conventional for it to work. Else I get the pack error...
maybe the error comes from the rick.ega/rick.cga files that eL_PuSHeR mentions? if they are EXEs maybe they are the real culprits
Rick.com by itself work and you get to choose ega or cga, then the screen goes blank, there is some hdd activity and you get dumped back to dos with the error

The original file RICK.COM is 3535 bytes, and has 3 encryption layers of the same encryption. It is a loader for the .EGA/.CGA/.TND files, which are encrypted executables, that are also exepacked. This causes the problem, and the reason you need loadfix.

PM sent

Reply 15 of 16, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rick Dangerous (1989) file decrypter

This program is written to deal with the
exepack problems of this game.

Usage: rickdec filename

It will then spit out the executable OUT.EXE
To remove the exepack, you need to use
UNP by Ben Castricum.