VOGONS

Windows XP is now "old". What are you doing?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 69, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just upgraded to windows 8 after running XP for 11 years, it was starting to run like sh!t with malware infections and crap and didn't see the point in doing a fresh install of XP seeing as windows 8 is so cheap to buy, its time to let go, it runs heaps faster than my bloated(ie 2 year) version of XP, I cant see myself using it again.

Reply 22 of 69, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Our main PC runs xp. The only reasons to retain it are the cost of a 7 licence, and the fact that we can do everything we need to do on it. But once security updates stop, I will have to upgrade. Seeing as that pc nowadays only gets used for modern games and then not much, I won't need xp on it.

On so called retro boxes, I may still use xp subject to activation continuing. But I could get by without it I reckon. My main concern would be over support for specific bits of hardware and related software, not games related.

Reply 23 of 69, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dual boot on my main rig, but I rarely use XP. I've been using Win7 since the beta and never looked back. Win XP doesn't seem old to me yet (if your using SP3) as it's still pretty useable for modern applications isn't it?. Win98 on the other hand...

Reply 24 of 69, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still use XP, I know that Seven is supposed to be better, but......I've used it and I have to say that I like XP. I like the explorer better, I like the classic start menu, I like the classic theme, I like the control panel, I like not having search boxes. When running XP I feel like I'm in charge.

Infact I kind of wish Microsoft just kept XP64 and simply upgraded everything under the hood and left the ui alone.

I'm still going to be using after 2014, maybe eventually I'll switch to ReactOS if that ever comes to fruitation.

Reply 25 of 69, by mintxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows XP is still viable and used by many people who don't like Windows 7 or 8 or don't want to spend money on it. Window XP's extended support phase only ended 2 months ago. Almost all the computers I've seen running Windows 7 or 8 are brand new computers, not upgraded from XP. I personally find Windows 7 an incredibly unusable pile of Microsoft excrement and will NEVER use it or any newer version for any reason. This pretty much means that I'm phasing out Windows altogether once it's actually obsolete and moving on to Linux completely. I currently only have a single Windows box (XP of course) to play games on - all my other systems are Linux.

Reply 26 of 69, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zstandig wrote:

I still use XP, I know that Seven is supposed to be better, but......I've used it and I have to say that I like XP. I like the explorer better, I like the classic start menu, I like the classic theme, I like the control panel, I like not having search boxes. When running XP I feel like I'm in charge.

Exactly - and more control over icons and icon text size/spacing too. I'm still puzzled why it's no longer possible to control both icon text size *and* column width. W7 icons/text can end up looking very screwy with words running off the line. When I fire up XP I'm always reminded how much better the UI is. I really like 7 otherwise.

Reply 27 of 69, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not really worried about the end of life stuff. XP works for people who use it. It'll get retired when the hardware dies.

I also have no doubt that people will work to keep it modernized like has happened with 9x.

Reply 29 of 69, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dont use games that require dx10 so xp runs considerably faster in dx9 than compared to w7.

I also have the idea in w7 that i have no control over my files.
Winxp gives me a clearer overview in more things, i think i cannot get used to newer os's and i am getting old..... i'am soo in love of classic win9x gui

Last edited by JaNoZ on 2013-06-30, 19:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 30 of 69, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:
zstandig wrote:

Exactly - and more control over icons and icon text size/spacing too. I'm still puzzled why it's no longer possible to control both icon text size *and* column width. W7 icons/text can end up looking very screwy with words running off the line. When I fire up XP I'm always reminded how much better the UI is. I really like 7 otherwise.

Guess I prefer Win7 cause I don't use desktop icons, I run apps the would normally cover them up. My web browser for instance, is never closed or minimized, always full screen even if I play a game or whatever. Of course that might have more to do with running 3 monitors...😁

Reply 31 of 69, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried out a PC with Win8 and I hated it so much. I couldn't find anything! It took me forever to get to the control panel and even knowing where it is now, still takes awhile. I don't get a sense of what's on the computer. In typical Microsoft brainwashing, the answer is "search for it" using the search feature. That only works if you know what you're looking for. It's like somebody asking you to search for the meal you want at a restaurant instead of looking at the menu.

Reply 32 of 69, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hate win 8 more than I do any other version of windows period, even ME is better despite the usual problems. As for XP I prefer it to 9x due to better driver support but lately been toying with win 7 32 for my older laptops and so far it is doable on older machines but needs a lot of tweaking. The one thing that has always popped up with every new os release besides bugs and in general M$ blunders is that almost always the people who complain the most are the ones who are the worst users.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 33 of 69, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:

Guess I prefer Win7 cause I don't use desktop icons, I run apps the would normally cover them up. My web browser for instance, is never closed or minimized, always full screen even if I play a game or whatever. Of course that might have more to do with running 3 monitors...😁

I operate out of 3 or 4 main desktop shortcuts that lead to holding folders where I keep and organize all my game/app/projects shortcuts . These all have icons and text so i'm pretty sensitive to limitations in manipulating them. It's my own 'Library' system that I've honed over the years.

And my browser.. I always let the desktop 'bleed' around the edges of it so it 'floats', and close the connection the second as I'm done with whatever it is I doing - virtually the polar opposite of your method 🤣. Vive la difference!

Reply 34 of 69, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:

False. Latest 13.4 is supporting Xp with all HD 5xxx-7xxx.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/am … BetaDriver.aspx

System Requirements:

Windows 8 (32 & 64-bit versions)
Windows 7 (32 & 64-bit versions with SP1 or higher)
Windows Vista (32 & 64-bit versions with SP2 or higher)

Good riddance.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 35 of 69, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:

Good riddance.

And?
1) This is beta.
2) "No Xp driver at all" and "no latest Xp driver" - two different cases. I still use 12.4 for my HD2600 Agp. And 10.3 for X850. And 6.2 for X850 with WinME.
3) Ati Catalyst is bugged with any version, any system and any videocard. So - "no latest driver" isn't so critical. They aren't fixing the old classic bugs. Because this is ATi.

Reply 36 of 69, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AND? 😮

At the end of the day, this frees up their driver team to work on the WDDM driver, and that's only a good thing.

It's just another nail in the coffin for the old girl. She had a good run, nobody's denying that.

I don't see why you're so defensive. It doesn't mean you have to stop using the drivers you have. Sheesh.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 37 of 69, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You forgot about 3). So - "frees up their driver team to work on the WDDM driver" = same amount of bugs and errors. 😀

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 38 of 69, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I gave my old windows XP machine to my mother but now she's got a new windows 7 laptop she no longer requires it and I got it back. below are the specs:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
1GB DDR400
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Leadtek WinFast 7800GT 256MB PCI-E

The case was a little scratched up and the power supply noisy. So I replaced them with a new Antec Three Hundred case and a Corsair 430W PSU. Now it looks like new and is much quieter.

I have a few older games that I never finished that I intend to play on it:

F.3.A.R.
Halo: Combat Evolved
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
No One Lives Forever
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay