VOGONS

First post, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some original SB16 disks for the CT1750 and I noticed that the disks have written on them "SB 16 Bit Multimeida Audio Card for panasonic interface"

Are there different disks for the Mitsumi Cdrom Interface?

I have a Mitsumi Quad Speed Cdrom drive connected up to the Mitsumi interface on the sound card and I have the Mitsumi pins jumpered but its a no go....SBIDE.sys/SBCD.sys is not cutting it.

Any ideas?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 1 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The installation program should run through and ask if you have a Mitsumi CD-ROM connected and install the appropriate drivers.

The Mitsumi drivers on my LU005S is called:
MTMCDE.SYS - 19KB
MTMCDS.SYS - 11KB
One uses DMA and IRQ, the other is software. I use it on my AWE32

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 12, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
The installation program should run through and ask if you have a Mitsumi CD-ROM connected and install the appropriate drivers. […]
Show full quote

The installation program should run through and ask if you have a Mitsumi CD-ROM connected and install the appropriate drivers.

The Mitsumi drivers on my LU005S is called:
MTMCDE.SYS - 19KB
MTMCDS.SYS - 11KB
One uses DMA and IRQ, the other is software. I use it on my AWE32

Yeah If I connect my Mitsumi drive directly to an I/O card then yeah I use the same driver your using.

But connecting it to a Sound Blaster CT1750 mitsumi IDE channel is giving me problems.

Reply 3 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My AWE32 CT2760 is using the Mitsumi interface.

It is the same driver being used on the standalone I/O card that is being supplied with the Soundblaster cards.

Reply 4 of 12, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmmm something wierd going on....

I cant even eject it when its connected to the CT1750 however there is power to it.....

If I plug it directly into an IO card it ejects and works fine.

I am starting to think the really old sound cards like the CT1750 with proprietary ide interfaces were not actually using IDE cable.......

That must be it....

Reply 5 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are using a standard 40 pin IDE cable and it is connected the correct way? I'm using that myself. No problem, so it isn't that it requires a special type of cable.

Try connecting it the opposite way. The problems you are explaining sounds like a cable problem.

Reply 6 of 12, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

You are using a standard 40 pin IDE cable and it is connected the correct way? I'm using that myself. No problem, so it isn't that it requires a special type of cable.

Try connecting it the opposite way. The problems you are explaining sounds like a cable problem.

yeah using a 40pin ide the correct way.

i turned the ide cable around the wrong way. it didnt work

I went back to the original way i had the ide cable but that didnt work either.

however the drive is now opening and closing 🤣....

this is giving me a headache. as soon as i plug the ide cable into an io card it works perfectly but not from the sound card..

Reply 7 of 12, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have never ever been able to get a cd-rom drive working along side a Tekram DC680C IO Cache card.

Now I know the IO Card does not support cdrom. So I thought I could do it using a second controller card or sound card IDE interface but it has failed yet again......

What a pain in the ass Tekram is.

But what a bloody amazingly fast card it is.

I'll go multiple hard drives and the network card route I think.

Reply 8 of 12, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Mitsumi/Panasonic/Sony interfaces on older SB16 cards are designed for proprietary CD-ROM drives. These are NOT the same thing as IDE. Connecting an IDE drive to a CT1750 will not work.

Reply 9 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The very first Mitsumi CD-Drive was single speed and looked like this:

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/com … uter/cd-rom.htm

The whole drive pulls out and it came with its own ISA controller card with RCA ports at the back, CD audio cable, jumpers and driver disk. This is the drive that your Sound Blaster supports.

Leter Mitsumi drives are 100% IDE. I believe starting with the triple speed drive.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 12, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

The very first Mitsumi CD-Drive was single speed and looked like this:

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/com … uter/cd-rom.htm

The whole drive pulls out and it came with its own ISA controller card with RCA ports at the back, CD audio cable, jumpers and driver disk. This is the drive that your Sound Blaster supports.

That is the drive I have. Video of it in action here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUBeHWVHh9U

Reply 12 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Beautiful! Brings back some great memories. There was this magazine with a CD and it had all these demos, games, shareware and whatnot on it. The storage capacity was simply breathtaking when CDs first came out.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel