VOGONS

Gravis Ultrasound MAX alongside Sound Blaster - Potential Issues?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm looking at getting hold of an Ultrasound to play with. Initially I thought the best option would be a Classic or ACE because they've less potential for hardware conflicts.

However it seems like the Ultrasound MAX is more readily available - will I have problems trying to run one of these alongside an AWE64 Gold? Only really interested in the native GUS digital sound as I have CM-32L & XR385 for MIDI duties.

Also, how common are the memory upgrade chips for the MAX? They look to be the same as the EDO DRAM chips found on many PCI video cards, or are they different in some way?

Reply 1 of 13, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wouldn't using a GUS only for digital sound kind of defeat the whole purpose of a GUS? I mean, "Digital Sound" in terms of games basically means "Digitized Waveform Audio", i.e. some derivation of ".wav". This should sound the same on any sound card with similar quality level of DACs. The thing that made the GUS stand out, was the midi music, because of the wavetable synthesizer, compared to FM synthesizer on most competitors. So by not using the midi music playback part, and only using it for digital sound, a GUS is pretty much a "generic 16-bit soundcard".
Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 3 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I vaguely remember reading that people jumpered the MAX to some non-standard settings (like $240 address etc) to get it working with a real SB

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately the majority of games which support the GUS just use software mixing for digital sound effects, like with any other sound card. So, unless you're planning to explore the demo scene or play a lot of games with tracker music, the GUS won't offer anything special.

Reply 5 of 13, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
5u3 wrote:

Unfortunately the majority of games which support the GUS just use software mixing for digital sound effects, like with any other sound card. So, unless you're planning to explore the demo scene or play a lot of games with tracker music, the GUS won't offer anything special.

I agree. And GUS cards are terribly overpriced nowadays, i want one merely for tracker music and some specific gaming. It's wavetable MIDI is IMHO inferior to both Yamaha and Roland GM.

Regarding the OP question, i believe even with a MAX you can make it work along side a Sound Blaster. I'm not a GUS expert but a lot of people have been doing it.

Reply 6 of 13, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do know about the hardware mixing, but to be fair, I don't really see the end result on game sound being that different. If it's for use with Impulse Tracker and Fast Tracker 2, then sure, I see the point, that's why I've bought a GUS for the system I'm going to build in just over a week. I agree with keropi though, I imagine that setting the jumpers to something like address 240 and irq 7, leaving 220 and irq 5 free for the SB, would allow them to run together. I used to know somebody who ran GUS MAX and SB16 together, but that was long ago, and I've not seen him in years, so I don't know how to get in touch with him to ask. He'd probably not remember anyway. But then again, who knows, he was obsessed with the greatness of the GUS MAX, and probably had modified his new PC to be able to run it still.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 7 of 13, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Default software mixing on many games is 22kHz so the GUS should sound a bit better (where it's supported). But yes I agree the difference isn't massive and only a few games support it properly.

I fancy trying it out with a few specific things: Pinball Fantasies, Crusader: No Remorse/Regret, Second Reality, Crystal Dream, Cubic Player etc.

Reply 11 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ditto. I have a Gus MAX, AWE32 (+XR385) and MPU401 in my retro box - no problems as long as it's jumpered to 0x240 and an IRQ that neither the MPU or SB are set to. You'll probably also want to disable all the cd-rom interfaces too.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 12 of 13, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had GUS in the 90'. When i decided to build retro machine I automatically bought GUS again. But! I never had Roland or Yamaha midi cards. So I get SCC-1, MT-32 and Yamaha MU80 and also NEC board. I start playing games and testing the sound and my old memories of super cool sound from GUS disappeared. The quality is so so and so many hassles with HW config made this card not worth the money. if you want good sound I will recommend some OPL3 card with Roland SCC-1 and you are set.

(excuse my english)

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Reply 13 of 13, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, got a GUS Classic alongside my AWE64 Gold now.

I find that games with tracker music (e.g. Pinball Fantasies) sound a bit thin on the AWE64, but the GUS sound is much more punchy.

Setup-wise there were no problems. I have 3 cards in the same PC now:

AWE64 Gold: SB 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1 & 5, FM 388, MIDI 300, GAME 200
YMF718 + XR385: SB 240, IRQ 9, DMA 0, FM 388, MIDI 330, GAME off
GUS: PORT 260, IRQ 7, DMA 7, GAME off