VOGONS

3dfx Voodoo image quality

Topic actions

First post, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did a small overview how glide looks on various 3dfx cards. The images are captured from VGA Out of the card. Gain/saturation/brightness/contrast setting was kept the same for all grabs.
The cards:
Voodoo1 with 8 MB, so I could set 800x600 resolution.
Voodoo2 with 12 MB
Voodoo3 2000 AGP
Voodoo4 4500 PCI
Voodoo5 5500 AGP
I used the latest reference drivers and the default settings.
The image is the bridge of the Vortex Rikers from Unreal.

The whole series can be downloaded here: ftp://retronn.de/pictures/3dfx_compare/

Voodoo1 16bit
Voodoo1.png

Voodoo1 SST_VIDEO_24BPP=1
Voodoo1_SST_VIDEO_24BPP.png

Voodoo1 SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE=1
Voodoo1_SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE.png

Voodoo2 16bit
Voodoo2.png

Voodoo2 SSTV2_VIDEO_24BPP=1
Voodoo2_SSTV2_VIDEO_24BPP.png

Voodoo2 SSTV2_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE=1
Voodoo2_SSTV2_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE.png

Voodoo2 ScreenSmoothing=False (Unreal seting)
Voodoo2_ScreenSmoothingOff.png

Voodoo Banshee 16 bit
VoodooBanshee.png

Voodoo3 16bit
Voodoo3.png

Voodoo4 16bit
Voodoo4_16.png

Voodoo4 16bit 2xFSAA
Voodoo4_16_2xFSAA.png

Voodoo4 32bit
Voodoo4_32.png

Voodoo4 32bit 2xFSAA
Voodoo4_32_2xFSAA.png

Voodoo5 16bit
voodoo5_16.png

Voodoo5 16bit Single Chip
voodoo5_16_singlechip.png

Voodoo5 16bit 2xFSAA
voodoo5_16_2xFSAA.png

Voodoo5 16bit 4xFSAA
voodoo5_16_4xFSAA.png

Voodoo5 32bit
voodoo5_32.png

Voodoo5 32bit Single Chip
voodoo5_32_singlechip.png

Voodoo5 32bit 2xFSAA
voodoo5_32_2xFSAA.png

Voodoo5 32bit 4xFSAA
voodoo5_32_4xFSAA.png

What I noticed:
- Voodoo2 seems to be even a bit worse than Voodoo1 with the dithering.
- Overall color changes sometimes to a green tint, also by enabling FSAA f.e.
- Voodoo Banshee shows no dithering artefacts and sharp edges.
- Voodoo3s edges are not as sharp as with Banshee (due to the DAC post effect?).
- FSAA on Voodoo4 and 5 seems to get rid of the texture seam visible on the left side.
- Single Chip mode seem to get rid of the dithering seen in multi chip mode, which is actually worse than with a Voodoo4 or 3. It looks like a weak version of the dithering seen with Voodoo2.
- FSAA changes the color tint a bit and far textures seem to get sharper, while in the front some dithering grid appears on Voodoo4 2xFSAA (in 16 and 32 bit mode), edges however are nicely antialiased. The dithering is not visible on Voodoo5 with 2xFSAA.
- with FSAA on Voodoo5 the texture offset seem to shift slightly on the surfaces.

Last edited by elianda on 2019-04-26, 11:33. Edited 4 times in total.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 1 of 29, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You did not specify which driver settings you used. "Alpha Blending" and "3D Filter Quality" are the ones you need to look at with V3-5. Changing around those might give varying results. For V1/V2 I believe the variable that controls the filter is "SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE" and possibly others.

Also I see that 4xFSAA comes out not nearly as nicely here as it is with actual gameplay. The way it smoothens the image works well against mipmap banding/texture shimmering, so it makes up for the lack of anisotropic filtering on these cards to some extent. It provides a better level of quality than an equivalent level of MSAA would.

Reply 3 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok I added a line for driver and settings.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 4 of 29, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to know if those images are reproducable, i.e. did you capture a few screenshots for each card and did they all have the same characteristics? Some of the differences seem quite random, for example V4 vs. V5 singlechip. I don't see why Voodoo4 should be blurrier when they both have the same VSA-100 chip. V5 singlechip vs. V5 SLI is weird too. If there is someone here with deeper knowledge of the hardware I'd like to know the technical reason for that, if there is any.

V2 comes out as the clear loser in this comparison. It's blurry, loses a lot of detail in those dark spots and has those arbitrary dithering spots going on. Then again some of this might be fixed via driver/variables, and perhaps most of the differences in color temperature/brightness are driver related.

Reply 5 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

I'd like to know if those images are reproducable, i.e. did you capture a few screenshots for each card and did they all have the same characteristics? Some of the differences seem quite random, for example V4 vs. V5 singlechip. I don't see why Voodoo4 should be blurrier when they both have the same VSA-100 chip. V5 singlechip vs. V5 SLI is weird too. If there is someone here with deeper knowledge of the hardware I'd like to know the technical reason for that, if there is any.

V2 comes out as the clear loser in this comparison. It's blurry, loses a lot of detail in those dark spots and has those arbitrary dithering spots going on. Then again some of this might be fixed via driver/variables, and perhaps most of the differences in color temperature/brightness are driver related.

The rendering characteristics do not change if I walk to some other location / map in the game. I checked other locations but decided in the end that the vortex rikers location already shows the characteristics well.
For me Voodoo4 vs Voodoo5 Singlechip does not look blurrier. It looks the same except a slight difference in color saturation, which might be due to the analog output stage of the cards.

Youtube Channel

Reply 8 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Well compare the B2 sign on V4 16bit to V5 singlechip, the texture comes out slightly more crisp on Voodoo5.

Hmm:
v4_vs_v5_b2sign.png

Well, maybe I am growing old hehe, but I can't say that V5 is sharper than V4.

Ok for 16 bit there is a difference:
v4_vs_v5_b2sign_16.png

Last edited by elianda on 2019-04-26, 11:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube Channel

Reply 9 of 29, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe I am getting very old then because it all looks the same and great to me 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 29, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting! Are you able to test using different cards of the same type? I've noticed image quality differences just swapping out cards in my rigs before - though never performed a detailed test like this. I ask mainly because V2s always seemed discernibly better to me than V1s but the results here pretty much refute that..

Reply 11 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Grabs for
SST_VIDEO_24BPP=1
SST_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE=1
SSTV2_VIDEO_24BPP=1
SSTV2_VIDEO_FILTER_DISABLE=1
and ScreenSmoothing=False in Unreal

only disabling the dither filter had a real effect, image gets sharper, but you can enter the grid now...

Youtube Channel

Reply 12 of 29, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From the Voodoo Graphics tech ref,

Bit(8) of fbzMode enables 16-bit color dithering. When enabled, native 24-bit source pixels are dithered into 16bit RGB color values with no performance penalty. When dithering is disabled, native 24-bit source pixels are converted into 16-bit RGB color values by bit truncation. When dithering is enabled, bit(11) of fbzMode defines the dithering algorithm -- when bit(11)=0 a 4x4 ordered dither algorithm is used, and when bit(11)=1 a 2x2 ordered dither algorithm is used to convert 24-bit RGB pixels into 16-bit frame buffer colors

bit truncation is crispy I guess.

24 bit definitely does something but it is probably dependent on the scenario. I also wonder if dither needs to be disabled.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?s=a94f … 66&postcount=40

Reply 14 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
elianda wrote:

Voodoo1 with 8 MB, so I could set 800x600 resolution.

Is there such a thing as an 8mb Voodoo 1? We need pics.

Well, seems no one checks my hardware gallery 😉.
So here are direct links:
http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/3dfx_v … magic3dplus.jpg
http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/3dfx_v … 3dplus_back.jpg

I currently try to check how 24bpp and the dithering filter play together. I could reproduce the slight color banding effect in the UT menu, but I have difficulties to see a difference in game.

edit: Found the problem. It is enough that the Key exists in the registry, independent of the actual DWord Value.

Youtube Channel

Reply 15 of 29, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know if you're interested, but here's the save game saved on the spot where I did my 640x480x16 Voodoo dithering comparison shots in Quake2 version 3.20. Extracts to baseq2/save/

Attachments

• Filename
    q2filtersave.zip
    File size
    78.75 KiB
    Downloads
    87 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I also tested with a Voodoo2 combination of Dithering Filter and 24bpp setting:

First of all a check with a color gradient to see if there is any effect o 24bpp:
24BPP not set
V2_dither_off_24bpp_off.png
and 24BPP set
V2_dither_off_24bpp_on.png

The slight color band visible before are gone.

Now four stills of the combinations:
24BPP off, dither filter off
v2_16bit_ditherfilteroff.png
24BPP off, dither filter on
v2_16bit_ditherfilteron.png
24BPP on, dither filter off
v2_24bit_ditherfilteroff.png
24BPP on, dither filter on
v2_24bit_ditherfilteron.png

Well, the difference for the dithering filter is visible, but whether 24bpp is on off is difficult to distinguish.

To generate a difference image I used photoshop, put the other image as layer on top and did the difference of both.
First the difference of the same setting, to get an impression of the analog noise of the VGA signal (24BPP on, Dither Filter On, two grabs):
v2_24bit_ditherfilteron_Reference_Difference.png
The main effect is that brighter pixels show a bit larger noise, which is not unexpected.

The difference of the images with dither filter off:
v2_ditherfilteroff%2016to24difference.png
and with dither filter on:
v2_ditherfilteron%2016to24difference.png

Well either 24BPP is not in effect here or the effect is smaller than the average VGA noise.

In the ftp folder are also shots from UT with a difference image.

Last edited by elianda on 2019-04-26, 11:51. Edited 2 times in total.

Youtube Channel

Reply 17 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quake2 for Leileilol
v2_ditherfilteroff.png

v2_ditherfilteron.png

Last edited by elianda on 2019-04-26, 11:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube Channel

Reply 19 of 29, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to http://svn.netlabs.org/repos/odin32/trunk/src … vg/init/video.c
the SSTV2_VIDEO_24BPP variable sets bit 22 of the fbiInit1 register.
Enable 24 Bits-per-pixel video output (1=enable). Default is 0.

But there is also bit 2 of fbiinit5 which is read only:
dac_data output width (0=16-bit, 1=24-bit). Default value is the value of fb_addr_b[2] at the deassertion of pci_rst. Read only.
This seems to be basically a readback of the DAC type.
There is also bit 25 that enables 24 bit output to the DAC.

Looking at the DACs:
ICS5342 mostly on Voodoo1, can do 24 bit per pixel modes up to 640x480 at 70? Hz.
TVP3409-170CFN mostly on Voodoo2, can do 24 bit per pixel unpacked up to 800x600 at 75 Hz, and 24 bit packed mode at 1024x768 67 Hz.

So the framebuffer of the Voodoo2 itself is 16 bit only. The only hint where 24 bit plays a role is the gamma correction:
"Voodoo2 Graphics uses a programmable color lookup table to allow for
programmable gamma correction. The 16-bit dithered color data from the frame buffer is used an an index into the
gamma-correction color table -- the 24-bit output of the gamma-correction color table is then fed to the monitor or
Television."

In detail the gamma lookup on the Voodoo2 works like this:
"The Chuck internal Color Lookup table is used for gamma correction of 16-bit RGB values during video refresh.
The 16-bit RGB values read from the frame buffer are used to index into the internal video Color Lookup table.
The output of the video Color Lookup table is then fed to an external DAC. The video Color Lookup Table is stored
internally as a 33x24 RAM. As RGB values are input from memory, the 5 MSBs of a particular color channel are
used to index into the Color Lookup Table. The 3 LSBs of a particular color channel are then used to linearly
interpolate between multiple video Color Lookup Table entries. As a result of the linear interpolation performed,
smooth transitions from one Color Lookup Table index to surrounding indices results. Using linear interpolation, a
much smaller video Color Lookup Table (33 entries) can be used instead of a full Color Lookup Table (256 entries).
As a result of the linear interpolation, however, all entries stored in the videoColor Lookup Table must be
monotonically increasing."

I hope this clarifies the 24 bit setting a bit.

Youtube Channel